A more detailed introduction.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-07-2012, 07:27 PM
A more detailed introduction.
I thought of posting an abridged version of how my parents raised me without much religious influence before middle school...but I figured that would merit it's own thread, since it's basically how I am an atheist.

My father's parents divorced back in the time when it wasn't as common, and his family was very religious and very strict for religious rules.

My mother, I'm not so sure about with religion. I'm only aware of a Methodist upbringing, if I understood a random comment correctly. It wasn't really brought up and the comment was about 6 years ago.

While I was being raised, it was mostly secular, with holidays being dominated by the Easter Bunny and Santa Claus, though I heard the nativity story at one family event with the extended family on the father's side of the family. It wasn't really a big deal though, and there was an occasional easter church visit to the Methodist Church.

There was also VBS every summer, though that was because it was a social thing in a town of 2100 people and everyone went.

I was interested in ancient civilizations and science, so I knew evolution before ever going to church, and it was due to this early knowledge that prevented me from ever swallowing the hook, line, and sinker completely.

I did, however, fall for the part about God caring about you, and the importance of a relationship with Jesus when I was baptised and confirmed in the church. I'm tempted to say that it was mostly because there was a great pastor, (who I am pleased to know, she really is a wonderful person), and the social scene that actually made me "believe" though. The social scene in the Methodist church was really small compared to the Catholic and Baptist churches, though, and I was always displeased with the youth group because half of the youth group was a few guys who were always trying to hook up with a promiscuous girl, who actually just had a kid a few months ago. The guys who were always hitting on her are in jail or just got out of jail. I see them in police reports.

Religion also made me into a person I do not want to be. It made me into someone unwilling to accept other people, and I knew it was not good, but it was the church and it was supported by everyone else. It took getting out of the podunk town and getting to college, (BOOMER SOONER!), that allowed me to really learn about other people. I also met a lot more fundamental Christians and I was immediately annoyed with the ways they'd pass evolution off as stupidity. A group of sorority girls in a class of mine were vehemently denying evolution on some notes they were passing around during a lecture.

I was curious about many of the things I hadn't thought about like free will and evil, as well as the natural universe supporting the existence of God or not, and I took a philosophy of religion class where I was able to find a lot more to read on the subject. I wrote a paper for the class on Robert Merrihew Adams and his modified divine command theory since ethics and morals are a particularly annoying thing to me. I never really understood Biblical morals. I kept seeing a lot of rational issues with God's existence, and the epistemological issues were made way more apparent, and with the way I see the world, it simply made no sense to believe anymore, and it just took some research to solidify my desire to de-convert.

On June 29th I decided I couldn't believe anymore since I had really no other reasons to cling to theism except tradition and that's not a logical reason for me.

I feel so much more relieved that when people ask me what I think or believe I can just say what I feel about something or think about it, rather than trying to keep the "Christian" view present in my thoughts about a political issue or a moral one. I love this feeling of freedom.

-summum ius, summa iniuria.-M. T. Cicero
-I will show you fear in a handful of dust.-T.S. Eliot
-
ἡ φύσις οὐδὲν ποιεῖ ἅλματα

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like il_bandit's post
09-07-2012, 07:44 PM
RE: A more detailed introduction.
Welcome to TTA - I'm just as fresh as you are, but hey - might as well start welcoming. Big Grin

I tried to google your "ἡ φύσις οὐδὲν ποιεῖ ἅλματα" quote and got a little lost on what was the correct translation. Is it "Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished"?

You still working to get the cap? Smartass If you are, kick some ass!

CTS
[+] 1 user Likes cheapthrillseaker's post
09-07-2012, 07:53 PM
The Greek phrase is "nature does not make sudden jumps" and it was coined in that phrase by Carl von Linne. It is based from Aristotle.

I'm studying the Latin language now in school, with plans to do grad school, law school, or public health school after unless I find a job I like. I'm studying Latin because I find Roman civilization and ideas extremely fascinating. I was a meteorology major, but in Army ROTC it's impossible to do both. They say it is, but as long as OU's meteo program and Army ROTC keep the junior year as the busiest, it won't work. The Navy and Air Force work better with meteorology. I should have gone with one of them.

I was an ROTC cadet contracted with the Army, but I have a back problem that makes lifting/running/hard work a bit difficult. Unfortunately it seems like fast food and certain crappier sales jobs are all that will hire me so far. I have to hope that I don't end up as a fast food manager after graduating, (my back can't take it).

-

09-07-2012, 08:28 PM
Well, that's two languages that I don't know... except a favorite quote from Red Green. "Quando omni flunkus moritati"Pseudo latin for "When all else fails, play dead".
[+] 1 user Likes cheapthrillseaker's post
09-07-2012, 08:44 PM
Hey Bandit, thanks for telling us your story. It sounds as though you were able to get free without too many religious scars. Good for you! Thumbsup

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
10-07-2012, 07:37 AM
Thank you for sharing!

I am writing a larger "testimony" myself, but it's taking me a while. I'm making certain to remove as much mental revisionism as possible. Smile
[+] 1 user Likes AlanWestfall's post
10-07-2012, 07:16 PM
There's probably some religious scarring that just hasn't been made apparent yet.

-

13-07-2012, 06:33 AM
Welcome to the forums here in TTA. Most people here love a good discussion. Whether you need to bounce off ideas, argument, someone to play devil's advocate, or just vent... this is as good a place as any (if not better). Cool to see you have already taken initiative in college and gone for some religious studies. That will be really helpful to you. And there is a really good thread on this forum: http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...or-Dummies

It's a great starter thread that I would reccomend any newcomers to the sight. A lot of "knowledgeable christians" will try and take an extreme philisophical root when debating and the thread listed above has some quick dissertions about the most common of them.

I am sad for you though. I can't imagine how rough life is as a Sooner. If you ever change your mind, we are always accepting at "THE U!"

Welcome!

And yet another interesting topic I am not interested in.
[+] 1 user Likes AmishLatinJew's post
13-07-2012, 06:01 PM
Thanks! Though I am happy as a Sooner. We have Galileo's actual handwriting in our library here. Also, the National Severe Storms Laboratory and many esteemed meteorologists and some fantastic weather. I love Oklahoma.

-