A mother kills her own child, to "fight the demons that posessed her"

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-03-2011, 12:01 PM
RE: A mother kills her own child, to "fight the demons that posessed her"
Yeah, I was thinking we do need laws for religious claims of a supernatural, that they have to past the scientific test which they already failed.

Nothing else affected by it, so freedom of speech is alright. I know this isn't a law, but I think it's more of a rule of society to not insult/hurt people with your verbal language. We should make it a law, fine 200,000,000 usa $ per each insults.

kidding, the government is going to make money off it easily since nobody is perfect.

"don't jump to conclusions until your 99%"

"dreams are the best source of creativity" me
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-03-2011, 08:56 PM
(19-03-2011 02:28 PM)Cdf50 Wrote:  Guys, we need to be fair here. This woman's crazy and probably would have done something to this level without the influence of religion. The same way we shouldn't allow creationists to call atheists immoral by pointing out crazy bastards that just so happened to be atheist, we shouldn't blame this on religion.

Nope, I blame religion. Would she really have thought she was sane and really was seeing the dead risen and fighting off the devil if not for religion? I doubt she would have thought so, and I bet she would even have realised she was mentally unstable and used medication.

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forego their use." - Galileo

"Every man is guilty of all the good he did not do." - Voltaire
22-03-2011, 01:26 AM (This post was last modified: 22-03-2011 01:57 AM by Observer.)
(20-03-2011 12:01 PM)Laxion Wrote:  Yeah, I was thinking we do need laws for religious claims of a supernatural,
While I really share your view Laxion, I think laws can not replace common sense and a grasp on reality.
(21-03-2011 08:56 PM)daemonowner Wrote:  Nope, I blame religion.
Seems like insanity was the cause but religion the catalyst or excuse.

In most of this cases, the murderer was not really thinking on the "why" during the deed. Later, during interrogation, irrational deeds are covered with a rational layer to give an explanation. To this woman, God, demons and religion is as real to her like humans and television shows and made a good excuse.

It does not make the deed less shocking though...

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
22-03-2011, 05:58 AM
(21-03-2011 08:56 PM)daemonowner Wrote:  Nope, I blame religion. Would she really have thought she was sane and really was seeing the dead risen and fighting off the devil if not for religion? I doubt she would have thought so, and I bet she would even have realised she was mentally unstable and used medication.

I'm not a psychiatrist, and I don't play one on TV, but that seems like a big streeeeeeetch to me. She was mentally ill but if she was a mentally ill atheist she would have come to her senses, realized she needed help and used medication?

Religion is not the cause of mental illness and you don't need to be religious to commit atrocities (although it certainly seems to help). Joseph Stalin, for example, was an atheist and he committed murder on a massive scale.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
23-03-2011, 01:24 AM
(22-03-2011 05:58 AM)BnW Wrote:  Religion is not the cause of mental illness and you don't need to be religious to commit atrocities (although it certainly seems to help). Joseph Stalin, for example, was an atheist and he committed murder on a massive scale.

Yes. It is more likely for an atheist to recognize that s/he needs help than for a religious person, but it is NOT a gaurantee. An atheist is much more likely to seek a cause and a solution than just believe the first thoughts that pop into his/her head.

When I find myself in times of trouble, Richard Dawkins comes to me, speaking words of reason, now I see, now I see.
09-04-2011, 10:13 AM
(19-03-2011 11:57 AM)Laxion Wrote:  It's already illegal ? Yeah I guess I forgot about that. I guess she is going to prison. Now I think we need laws to not spread lies aka religion because it's only a belief, not fact or truth, which probably won't happen in religious country..

Aren't you the one who started the Illuminati thread?

See this would be the problem with a law like this. You believe the Illuminati is still around and that 9/11 was inside job. But your "evidence" of that is what you see on youtube. You really have no reliable source of information on the subject. However it is what you believe so it's what you tell people.

Religion works the same way. They have no proof of what they claim, but they believe it so it's what they tell people.

On top of the fact that a law like this would stunt our freedom it would really be impossible to enforce.
(17-03-2011 07:18 PM)trillium13 Wrote:  http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national..._the_.html

A young mother killed her 3-year-old daughter in Nantucket to fight the "demons" possessing the child, police said Wednesday.

Dora Tejada allegedly shoved her fist into the toddler's mouth, believing it to be a rose that would exorcise the "devil" inside her, according to court documents. Rose pedals were found on the floor in the home.

The 26-year-old also claimed to have the ability to see dead people and to speak directly with the "Holy Spirit," authorities said.

The incident began Monday, when emergency personnel and police arrived at Tejada's Pine Tree Road home to find Nicole Garcia lying on a table and unresponsive. She was later taken to Nantucket Cottage Hospital, where she died.

Tejada, a native of El Salvador, was interviewed by police with the help of a translator. The immigrant claimed to have fallen asleep on the couch with her daughter, as well as her toddler son, Luis. She said she gave the girl a piece of candy before the incident, which was found at the scene.

Deonila Tema, the suspect's sister-in-law, soon contradicted the claim that they had fallen asleep on the couch.

Tema told police that Tejada asked her to come into the room and pray with her. She claimed Tejada pleaded to God for mercy. Her sister-in-law's behavior made Tema uncomfortable, so she went outside to call her husband, Amilear Tejada.

The young girl was awake and seemed fine at the time, Tema told police.

When Amilear Tejada arrived home, he went inside and emerged a short time later in tears.

Amilear Tejada told police that when he entered the house, he found his sister seated on the couch with Nicole in her arms. He touched the girl and "realized that she was not alive," the report said.

Her brother told authorities his sister claimed to be seeing dead people, calling it "a gift from God." He indicated she had made similar statements before.

Police also observed that Dora Tejada's behavior was very erratic. Officers reported she behaved strangely while at the station and told investigators she was speaking in the language of "the Holy Spirit," with God speaking through her.

The child's death is the first homicide to occur on the island of Nantucket in two years, the Boston Globe reported.
It's hard to believe that any mother could do such a thing regardless of her beliefs. How could someone be this way toward their own little baby.
09-04-2011, 05:18 PM
(22-03-2011 05:58 AM)BnW Wrote:  
(21-03-2011 08:56 PM)daemonowner Wrote:  Nope, I blame religion. Would she really have thought she was sane and really was seeing the dead risen and fighting off the devil if not for religion? I doubt she would have thought so, and I bet she would even have realised she was mentally unstable and used medication.

I'm not a psychiatrist, and I don't play one on TV, but that seems like a big streeeeeeetch to me. She was mentally ill but if she was a mentally ill atheist she would have come to her senses, realized she needed help and used medication?

Religion is not the cause of mental illness and you don't need to be religious to commit atrocities (although it certainly seems to help). Joseph Stalin, for example, was an atheist and he committed murder on a massive scale.

Remember, it was religion which made her think there were in fact demons and spirits catalysing her craziness, and if not for religion, she wouldn't have thought a rose stuffed inside her daughters mouth would remove the devil.
She may well have realised she was mentally unstable if not for her religious delusion. Many americans, for example, think the devil and demons are real and try to keep them away, the difference between them and tejada is not the beliefs, but sanity. Those who believe in demons think they are sane, if I were to begin seeing demons etc, then I would turn myself in, and spend my days in a mental hospital (of course, that may just be my choice whilst I am sane.)

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forego their use." - Galileo

"Every man is guilty of all the good he did not do." - Voltaire
11-04-2011, 07:40 PM

Poor baby girl. Sad
Why is it always Christians that are this psychotic? You notice there's never an article that says, Pagan murders son to rid child of possession by Herne!

It's always the Christian nut bag that see's the demons and feels they're so religious they have to murder their child, because prayer to a benevolent god doesn't work! And they somehow just fail to see that and think, well screw this maybe I should just get some psychological help and turn atheist.
Noooo, they have to free themselves of the responsibility of parenthood and claim the Devil made them do it. And none of that would be the case, if their god hadn't created the twisted bastard so unfit parents could have an excuse for infanticide.
Quote this message in a reply