A multiverse or a god?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-11-2013, 02:02 PM
A multiverse or a god?
To clarify, there isn't necessarily only either a god or a multiverse, I'm not meaning to set up a false dichotomy with the thread subject. There could be neither, or both.

In this lecture Sean Carroll, Physicist at the California Institute of Technology, gives his take on the god hypothesis, and near the end how it differs from the multiverse hypothesis.

The video is quite long, so I don't expect everyone to watch it. But I'm still interested in your thoughts on the multiverse hypothesis. Do you think it is just as wooey as the god hypothesis?

2.5 billion seconds total
1.67 billion seconds conscious

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Adenosis's post
23-11-2013, 03:20 PM
RE: A multiverse or a god?
No. Not woo. But it is every bit as much of a mind fuck as every other interpretation of quantum mechanics. Hobo

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
23-11-2013, 03:25 PM
(23-11-2013 02:02 PM)Adenosis Wrote:  To clarify, there isn't necessarily only either a god or a multiverse, I'm not meaning to set up a false dichotomy with the thread subject. There could be neither, or both.

In this lecture Sean Carroll, Physicist at the California Institute of Technology, gives his take on the god hypothesis, and near the end how it differs from the multiverse hypothesis.

The video is quite long, so I don't expect everyone to watch it. But I'm still interested in your thoughts on the multiverse hypothesis. Do you think it is just as wooey as the god hypothesis?

Nope. Every time humans have assumed they know either a lower limit or a higher limit, they have been proven wrong. The assumption this is the only universe actually makes less sense than many. 100 years ago they didn't even know about other galaxies. Now look.
http://www.dailygalaxy.com/my_weblog/201...dence.html

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
"And you quit footing the bill for these nations that are oil rich - we're paying for some of their *squirmishes* that have been going on for centuries" - Sarah Palin
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
23-11-2013, 04:08 PM
Buncha woo peddlers. Tongue

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
23-11-2013, 04:10 PM
You'd have to define "God" To me before,its just an abstract concept which is seemingly illogical.
23-11-2013, 06:06 PM
Someone call me up when we can visit the other universes like on Sliders.

THIS USER IS NO LONGER ACTIVE. THANK YOU, AND HAVE A GREAT DAY! http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...a-few-days
23-11-2013, 08:07 PM
(23-11-2013 02:02 PM)Adenosis Wrote:  To clarify, there isn't necessarily only either a god or a multiverse, I'm not meaning to set up a false dichotomy with the thread subject. There could be neither, or both.

The vid is ok. Love his point at about 50:00 about turning the fine tuning thing around.
Hehe.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
"And you quit footing the bill for these nations that are oil rich - we're paying for some of their *squirmishes* that have been going on for centuries" - Sarah Palin
23-11-2013, 08:34 PM
(23-11-2013 02:02 PM)Adenosis Wrote:  But I'm still interested in your thoughts on the multiverse hypothesis. Do you think it is just as wooey as the god hypothesis?
Personally I think it would be incredibly strange if there were only one universe. By "universe" I mean an expanding structure i.e. the big bang. If these things come about via autonomous means then why only once?

Since time and space are consequences of energy/matter it is hard to conceive whether universes exist in discrete isolated "bubbles" of time/space or whether there would be a possible spacial path between separate universes.

Anyways, I think there are likely to be an infinite universes, which has cool implications e.g. there are an infinite living forms with your own exact DNA. But we may never be able to observe another universe other than our own.
24-11-2013, 12:12 AM
There is already some significant evidence of a multi-verse... according to a new theory, the phenomenon of "dark flow" is the result of another universe's gravitational influence.

At least that was my interpretation, but it was on one of those Horizon episodes full of arty-farty metaphors and bullshit camera angles that serve only to make complex science even more confusing.

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
[+] 1 user Likes Sam's post
24-11-2013, 04:41 AM
(24-11-2013 12:12 AM)Paranoidsam Wrote:  ...significant evidence of a multi-verse... full of arty-farty metaphors and bullshit camera angles...

fix't.

There ain't no significant evidence of jack shit. Angel

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]