A new Anti-Theist

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-09-2014, 10:30 AM
A new Anti-Theist
Hello Smile. I stumbled upon this yesterday whilst looking for a community that dealt with this very topic. My name is Jack, 19 years old and live in England. I hope my rather opinionated self can get to know each and everyone here. I call myself an 'Anti-Theist' because of my strong dislike (albeit detest) of religion and those that seek to delay human progression via the holy deity. I hope I can contribute well here.

[Image: tumblr_mhlahyonF51qaozevo1_250.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes I Slappa DaFace's post
02-09-2014, 10:31 AM
RE: A new Anti-Theist
I look forward to your posts...

The beer is open to all and there's fresh childburgers on the grill Wink

"Name me a moral statement made or moral action performed that could not have been made or done, by a non-believer..." - Christopher Hitchens

My youtube musings: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfFoxbz...UVi1pf4B5g
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes CiderThinker's post
02-09-2014, 02:45 PM
Hmmm. I think you should change your title to "anti-theism" instead of "anti-theist". Being bigoted towards a person for any reason ALWAYS puts you in the wrong. Always.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes kingschosen's post
02-09-2014, 03:06 PM
(02-09-2014 02:45 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  Hmmm. I think you should change your title to "anti-theism" instead of "anti-theist". Being bigoted towards a person for any reason ALWAYS puts you in the wrong. Always.

This.

Welcome to the community though!
02-09-2014, 03:08 PM
(02-09-2014 02:45 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  Hmmm. I think you should change your title to "anti-theism" instead of "anti-theist". Being bigoted towards a person for any reason ALWAYS puts you in the wrong. Always.

Uh... he's talking about himself, Kingsy. ISDF is the one who is anti-whatever - it's a 1st person kinda thing.

Hi I Slappa DaFace - long name - I'll just call you ISDF, if that's ok.

Welcome to the forum. Smile

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 2 users Like kim's post
02-09-2014, 03:18 PM (This post was last modified: 02-09-2014 03:30 PM by Adrianime.)
Hello and Welcome. I'm also an antitheist! Thumbsup Although KingsChosen, you may be getting the definition of the term wrong. The word is actually put together very strangely so I get the confusion. Antitheist/Antitheism really would be more accurate if called "Antireligion(ist?)" and "Antireligion." The stance is essentially, that you are opposed to religion (i.e. you think the world would be better off without it or you think it does more harm than good). It is not a stance that has anything against the followers of religions, just a stance that dislikes religion itself.

To illustrate how strange this word is....you could actually be an antitheist while being theist. Meaning that you believed in a god, but were against religion.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antitheism
http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Antitheism

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
[+] 2 users Like Adrianime's post
02-09-2014, 03:25 PM
(02-09-2014 03:18 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  Hello and Welcome. I'm also an antitheist! Thumbsup Although KingsChosen, you may be getting the definition of the term wrong. The word is actually put together very strangely so I get the confusion. Antitheist/Antitheism really would be more accurately if called "Antireligion(ist?)" and "Antireligion." The stance is essentially, that you are opposed to religion (i.e. you think the world would be better off without it or you think it does more harm than good). It is not a stance that has anything against the followers of religions, just a stance that dislikes religion itself.

To illustrate how strange this word is....you could actually be an antitheist while being theist. Meaning that you believed in a god, but were against religion.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antitheism

Well put. As Hitchens said, to be a theist is to be religious, but, to be a deist is to believe in god.

Saints live in flames; wise men, next to them.
02-09-2014, 03:37 PM
welcome Thumbsup

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
02-09-2014, 04:25 PM (This post was last modified: 02-09-2014 04:29 PM by I Slappa DaFace.)
I understand why you would think that from my title, but when Hitchens described the term, it seemed like anti-Thiest meant anti-religion, rather than hating every person that believed in God. I hate technicalities like this, so I think I will leave this title alone. By the way, you can call me Jack Tongue

[Image: tumblr_mhlahyonF51qaozevo1_250.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user