A new atheist / secular symbol?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-03-2012, 08:59 PM (This post was last modified: 20-03-2012 09:10 PM by ghostexorcist.)
A new atheist / secular symbol?
My art class has moved onto works of the 18th - 19th century. One work from Spain that we looked at is a print by Franciso Goya. The words on the box are Spanish for "The Sleep of Reason Produces Monsters." The title makes it easy to figure out who the players are. The sleeping man is obviously the personification of reason, and the owls, bats, and the cat are the personification of irrationality. Goya produced the print at a time when Spain was in chaos. According to my text book: "King Charles IV, threatened by the possibility of similar social upheaval in Spain, reinstituted the Inquisition soon after the French Revolution, halted reform, and even prohibited the entry of French books into Spain." This was also the time that education was "in the hands of the church."

[Image: Goya_-_Caprichos_%2843%29_-_Sleep_of_Reason.jpg]

I, therefore, think this picture is perfect for representing, let's say, the way that creationists try to sidestep peer review by getting politicians to endorse so-called biblical science in the classroom. This could easily be applied to other bible-driven policies like not letting gays marry. Most importantly, it could represent the evils that take place when super fundamentalist religious folks are allowed to have their way.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 6 users Like ghostexorcist's post
20-03-2012, 09:35 PM
RE: A new atheist / secular symbol?
Thanks for sharing this.

hand painted copies are expensive...
http://www.franciscodegoya.net/El-Sueno-...ters).html

Shame its not in English
21-03-2012, 10:35 AM
(20-03-2012 09:35 PM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  Thanks for sharing this.

hand painted copies are expensive...
http://www.franciscodegoya.net/El-Sueno-...ters).html

Shame its not in English

Wow! That is expensive. I'm sure you could find a cheap poster of it somewhere.

Yes, it might make more sense to people if it was in English, but I think it adds an heir of sophistication to it.
21-03-2012, 11:03 AM
In demonology a cat represents Baal and an owl represents Lilith... not sure about the bat, though.

I'll research it.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
Find all posts by this user
21-03-2012, 11:08 AM
(21-03-2012 11:03 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  In demonology a cat represents Baal and an owl represents Lilith... not sure about the bat, though.

I'll research it.

Your mom.

Big Grin
[+] 2 users Like kineo's post
21-03-2012, 11:09 AM
Ahhh, here you go.

Bat, owl, and cat are all types of animals that demons can take the shape of (familiars). I'm assuming that all the creatures around that man are supposed to be demons.

List of familiars here.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
21-03-2012, 12:05 PM
It was my understanding that they represented - royalty, religion and revolution.

I have, on many occasions been proved incorrect however.
Goya was aware of the work of Gillray and the satirical iconography is familiar.

He may also have been pished off with Chuck the 4th cos he wasn't as good as his dad Mr Third....its all a mystery...

In life you can't have everything................. Where would you put it ?
22-03-2012, 09:41 AM
(21-03-2012 12:05 PM)Sol Wrote:  It was my understanding that they represented - royalty, religion and revolution.

[...]

That's interesting. I will definitely look into that.
27-03-2012, 05:20 PM
Personally, I thought a snake saying "Got apples" would be a hilarious atheist symbol.

Bury me with my guns on, so when I reach the other side - I can show him what it feels like to die.
Bury me with my guns on, so when I'm cast out of the sky, I can shoot the devil right between the eyes.