A new blog idea but nervous about the reaction

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-06-2017, 11:27 AM
Question A new blog idea but nervous about the reaction
Ok, not the greatest thread title, but that's what I got. I've been thinking about starting a blog for ages (actually did start it then panicked and pulled it). I bought the domain TheGodlessGoodWife and want to do a homemakers blog (think recipes, DIY, etc) that also talks about marriage, life, and raising kids (hopefully pending the outcomes of IVF) without god. It seems like every stinking blog about homemaking also comes with a heavy dose of devout christianity. I get that especially in the south there is a religious/cultural/fundamentalist thing of staying home to serve your husband and the lord, blah blah.

Anyways, my hesitation is potential backlash for being openly atheist. I don't hide that fact in real life but I also don't tend to be out loud and proud either (I live in a relatively conservative city in MT).

I guess I'm looking for a little pep talk that A) the blog is a good idea and B) that I won't be hunted down with pitch forks and fire for being an atheist.

(Oh and any tag line ideas to help convey the concept would be super appreciated. They all have tags like "Faith, Family, and Food" "I love god, my husband, and cooking in that order" etc)
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes mp_soldier's post
11-06-2017, 11:34 AM
RE: A new blog idea but nervous about the reaction
Can you just do the blog without god talk?

Maybe as things go on you would feel more comfortable with mentioning your atheism.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
11-06-2017, 11:34 AM
(11-06-2017 11:27 AM)mp_soldier Wrote:  Ok, not the greatest thread title, but that's what I got. I've been thinking about starting a blog for ages (actually did start it then panicked and pulled it). I bought the domain TheGodlessGoodWife and want to do a homemakers blog (think recipes, DIY, etc) that also talks about marriage, life, and raising kids (hopefully pending the outcomes of IVF) without god. It seems like every stinking blog about homemaking also comes with a heavy dose of devout christianity. I get that especially in the south there is a religious/cultural/fundamentalist thing of staying home to serve your husband and the lord, blah blah.

Anyways, my hesitation is potential backlash for being openly atheist. I don't hide that fact in real life but I also don't tend to be out loud and proud either (I live in a relatively conservative city in MT).

I guess I'm looking for a little pep talk that A) the blog is a good idea and B) that I won't be hunted down with pitch forks and fire for being an atheist.

(Oh and any tag line ideas to help convey the concept would be super appreciated. They all have tags like "Faith, Family, and Food" "I love god, my husband, and cooking in that order" etc)

Actually probably one of the best things that could happen to your blog is for some godly types to come running with the pitchforks.

I think it's a perfectly fine idea. Go for it! If you're worried about backlash in real life, you can always use a pseudonym.

As far as tag lines, here's my lame suggestion:
Fun without the Fundamentalism
[+] 6 users Like julep's post
11-06-2017, 11:48 AM (This post was last modified: 11-06-2017 12:13 PM by jennybee.)
You know your community better than anyone--I think if you are fearful of backlash to yourself and family, I think Anjele offered a good suggestion of still doing it, but just leaving god out of it. Otherwise, I think your blog is a great idea, it shows you can still be a wonderful wife, mother, homemaker (if that's what you yourself desire), cook, life coach, and all around good person...and be an atheist to boot Tongue

All that said, we get one life to live, live it on your own terms and if it ruffles a few feathers, so what Wink

Whatever you decide, good luck with your blog!
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
11-06-2017, 12:19 PM (This post was last modified: 11-06-2017 02:21 PM by Bucky Ball.)
(11-06-2017 11:27 AM)mp_soldier Wrote:  Ok, not the greatest thread title, but that's what I got. I've been thinking about starting a blog for ages (actually did start it then panicked and pulled it). I bought the domain TheGodlessGoodWife and want to do a homemakers blog (think recipes, DIY, etc) that also talks about marriage, life, and raising kids (hopefully pending the outcomes of IVF) without god. It seems like every stinking blog about homemaking also comes with a heavy dose of devout christianity. I get that especially in the south there is a religious/cultural/fundamentalist thing of staying home to serve your husband and the lord, blah blah.

I'd be tempted to say something like "From the looks of you, you got the *order* backwards. Laugh out load Just kidding.
Great idea. The title will be everything.
Good Wife, Good Food, Good Families and Good Friends.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
11-06-2017, 12:19 PM
(11-06-2017 11:27 AM)mp_soldier Wrote:  ...
TheGodlessGoodWife

Tagline:

TGGW ... helping make Home heaven on Earth.

Unsure

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
11-06-2017, 12:34 PM
I think this is a great idea. When my kids were young and I was doing the housewifey thing I would take my kids to soccer games and the other mothers knew each other from church and talked about church shit all the time. I think you should keep the godless aspect in the blog and use a pseudonym. I would have loooved a blog like this. I wouldn't have felt so lonely.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
11-06-2017, 12:37 PM
OP,
When you get your blog up and running don't forget to come back and let us know. Thumbsup

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post
11-06-2017, 12:42 PM
My first thought was just like Anjele's. What's the point of the whole "there's no god" thing?

But I've been re-thinking that based on what others have written and your own situation and have reconsidered.

Perhaps it is a good idea to wind the atheism theme through the narrative from time to time. It doesn't have to be the focus, just an occasional reference.

Best do it anonymously though. Expect the Christian fundamentalist types and their alt-right Trumpian counterparts to show up and try to hijack things. Because if there's one thing they can't stand, it's someone being "good without God."

Keep us posted!
11-06-2017, 12:45 PM
(11-06-2017 12:34 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  I think this is a great idea. When my kids were young and I was doing the housewifey thing I would take my kids to soccer games and the other mothers knew each other from church and talked about church shit all the time. I think you should keep the godless aspect in the blog and use a pseudonym. I would have loooved a blog like this. I wouldn't have felt so lonely.

Thanks for the support! Depending on how it goes there would be plans for a Facebook group or Forum of sorts too so we can all support each other there too. I'm leaning towards just my first name or a pseudonym. I was just digging through godlessmom.com and she just uses 1 photo of her face and a first name (I guess who knows if it's real).