A new blog idea but nervous about the reaction

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-06-2017, 12:48 PM
RE: A new blog idea but nervous about the reaction
(11-06-2017 11:34 AM)julep Wrote:  Actually probably one of the best things that could happen to your blog is for some godly types to come running with the pitchforks.

Big Grin Actually you're probably right!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes mp_soldier's post
11-06-2017, 12:54 PM
(11-06-2017 12:42 PM)Heath_Tierney Wrote:  Best do it anonymously though. Expect the Christian fundamentalist types and their alt-right Trumpian counterparts to show up and try to hijack things. Because if there's one thing they can't stand, it's someone being "good without God."

Keep us posted!

You're right, I just have to plan for some level of nonsense from them. Probably best to come up with a good policy for the comments section, make it easily accessible, and use it when needed.
11-06-2017, 01:00 PM
It may not be original idea but I wouldn't say that it is bad one. But I think that whatever you write you can expect lot of criticism and I doubt that much of it would be productive. So if you don't have problem with handling criticism whether fair or not then go for it. It's not like you must write if you find that it isn't to your liking.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 1 user Likes Szuchow's post
11-06-2017, 01:32 PM
(11-06-2017 12:42 PM)Heath_Tierney Wrote:  My first thought was just like Anjele's. What's the point of the whole "there's no god" thing?

But I've been re-thinking that based on what others have written and your own situation and have reconsidered.

Perhaps it is a good idea to wind the atheism theme through the narrative from time to time. It doesn't have to be the focus, just an occasional reference.

Best do it anonymously though. Expect the Christian fundamentalist types and their alt-right Trumpian counterparts to show up and try to hijack things. Because if there's one thing they can't stand, it's someone being "good without God."

Keep us posted!

I guess my point was that I don't need to hear about god or no god when looking for housekeeping, cooking, etc. issues. That's not what I am looking for...I am looking for easy recipes and a way to keep ahead of the dog and cat fur that piles up at an astonishing rate. I didn't explain that very well in my first post.

Maybe some funny or inspirational things can be thrown in here and there that have nothing to do with god or religion.

I suppose the thing would be to weigh the cost of revealing your atheism. Sometimes it's minimal and sometimes it can be quite a challenge to life, work, how your kids are treated, etc.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
11-06-2017, 02:23 PM
(11-06-2017 01:32 PM)Anjele Wrote:  I guess my point was that I don't need to hear about god or no god when looking for housekeeping, cooking, etc. issues. That's not what I am looking for...I am looking for easy recipes and a way to keep ahead of the dog and cat fur that piles up at an astonishing rate. I didn't explain that very well in my first post.

Maybe some funny or inspirational things can be thrown in here and there that have nothing to do with god or religion.

I suppose the thing would be to weigh the cost of revealing your atheism. Sometimes it's minimal and sometimes it can be quite a challenge to life, work, how your kids are treated, etc.

Ahhhh, I see what you're saying! I kind of see the blog as having two sides at some level, there would be recipes, DIY tips/projects, organization and cleaning tips, etc which really don't need mention of god or not, so they'd be easy to read/follow and likely include humor and inspiration that appeals to almost anyone. (as an aside: if you don't have a roomba or some sort of automatic vacuum I highly recommend it. Game changer in keeping up after a dog and 2 cats!)

Then there would also be a side about relationships, marriage, communication, raising kids, more general navigating life stuff that would come from a definitely secular place and most likely even how to handle those situations specifically as an non-theist (holiday dinners w/ your religious family, how we explain and celebrate Easter with our kids, etc)..

All of which will be set up in a way that someone could navigate through just the recipes and DIY, or just the relationship side, or all of it mixed together.
[+] 1 user Likes mp_soldier's post
11-06-2017, 02:56 PM
(11-06-2017 02:23 PM)mp_soldier Wrote:  one. (as an aside: if you don't have a roomba or some sort of automatic vacuum I highly recommend it. Game changer in keeping up after a dog and 2 cats!)

I do have a Roomba. But I can only run it when I am home because it likes to get stuck under the edge of the kitchen cabinet and under the entertainment center. I have one of the sensors to block it but that only takes care of one trouble spot.

And the parrot freaks out when it goes under her cage so someone has to be around to let her know it's not going to climb her cage and eat her. Confused

It is a big help though when I run it since we have all hard floors now.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
11-06-2017, 03:33 PM
(11-06-2017 02:56 PM)Anjele Wrote:  
(11-06-2017 02:23 PM)mp_soldier Wrote:  one. (as an aside: if you don't have a roomba or some sort of automatic vacuum I highly recommend it. Game changer in keeping up after a dog and 2 cats!)

I do have a Roomba. But I can only run it when I am home because it likes to get stuck under the edge of the kitchen cabinet and under the entertainment center. I have one of the sensors to block it but that only takes care of one trouble spot.

And the parrot freaks out when it goes under her cage so someone has to be around to let her know it's not going to climb her cage and eat her. Confused

I tried one for a while... it took longer each time to clean the hair wound around the wheels each time than it did to just use a regular vacuum. The only value it had was that it was funny how freaked out the cat got.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
11-06-2017, 03:41 PM
(11-06-2017 03:33 PM)unfogged Wrote:  
(11-06-2017 02:56 PM)Anjele Wrote:  I do have a Roomba. But I can only run it when I am home because it likes to get stuck under the edge of the kitchen cabinet and under the entertainment center. I have one of the sensors to block it but that only takes care of one trouble spot.

I tried one for a while... it took longer each time to clean the hair wound around the wheels each time than it did to just use a regular vacuum. The only value it had was that it was funny how freaked out the cat got.

My cat just gives it a bad look. The dogs have learned to stay out of its way.

12-06-2017, 05:20 AM
Could you just do the blog, but not mention religion/your lack of religion at all?

There are plenty of blogs that stick to the subject matter only, and don't mention their religious beliefs at all.

I don't want Fop, goddamn it! I'm a Dapper Dan man!
12-06-2017, 07:27 AM
(11-06-2017 03:41 PM)Anjele Wrote:  
(11-06-2017 03:33 PM)unfogged Wrote:  I tried one for a while... it took longer each time to clean the hair wound around the wheels each time than it did to just use a regular vacuum. The only value it had was that it was funny how freaked out the cat got.

My cat just gives it a bad look. The dogs have learned to stay out of its way.

Oh yeah, the parrot complicates things! Laugh out load I run mine when the dog is out of the house cause he likes to attack it. And then I always have to go find it because inevitably it gets stuck somewhere random.