A new level of ignorance, plus some other rants

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-05-2011, 07:37 PM
A new level of ignorance, plus some other rants
So, I'm driving home for Mother's Day and flipping through the radio channels and I hear someone telling a story about how he was arguing with a Muslim and the Muslim had argued for his beliefs and the radio host said "So I told him the burden of proof was on him. He was the one asserting these claims and so he must provide the evidence or else such claims can be dismissed."

And I was thinking, "what the hell, since when did this area (rural Ohio) get an atheist radio show?" And I was happy in my pants until the show then began to praise Christ and cut to a song about a savior. Then I was sad in my pants.

Soooo, the theists are now stealing our arguments against them... using them against other religions... and then completely ignoring the contradiction sirens going off in their brains while continuing to praise the Lord. I can't tell if it's extreme hypocrisy (a judge sentencing a defendant to prison while snorting coke off his gavel) or some kind of logic barrier that was erected in their minds from a successful childhood indoctrination.

And another time, I was watching Planet of the Apes with a religion relative and it got to the end where the apes are praying to Semos, the "god" of the apes who, according to the scrolls, created all apes in his image. And my religious relative laughed and said "created in the apes image, that's so stupid."

And I just went "yes... it IS stupid." And just stared at this person, waiting for the logic machine in their brain to click on and make the obvious connection, but it never did. It's almost like a mental disorder these people have. Like logic becomes their Tyler Durden, trying to break out and say what they really want to say, but they keep suppressing it as a hallucination.

And finally, I saw Thor tonight, and was just wondering how many people in the audience were Christians, and what was going through their minds (or not going through) when they watched a movie about a God and the people who worship him and how silly it all was. I mean it makes sense. Thunder and lightning occur. People didn't understand how it was happening so they imaged a deity who controlled it. This god has a father (Odin) and a known history. And the audience just refuses to see the connection between this bearded man with super powers who they know to be fiction and the bearded man with super powers who they devote their lives to (at least on occasional Sundays).

Anyways, done ranting.

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Buddy Christ's post
07-05-2011, 07:54 PM
RE: A new level of ignorance, plus some other rants
When I tell some random guy I'm an atheist, the most common comeback is "Why?" Which tells me most Christians have not thought about the issue at all. They don't realize their religion is nonsense. They just never thought it through, and they don't want to either. It's willful ignorance, pure and simple. And when they start using logic and reason to attack each other without putting any thought of it to their own beliefs just makes them hypocritical. So, I conclude with this: Silly Christians, logic is for atheists!

I don't believe Jesus is the son of God until I see the long form birth certificate!
07-05-2011, 11:07 PM
It's a defense mechanism. All faiths have a built in mechanism that protects said beliefs from being questioned.
Usually outsiders can see your own defects better than you can. And sadly most religious people never respect outside opinions or engage in honest debates.

I recommend two books :
Virus of the Mind: The New Science of the Meme
The God Virus: How religion infects our lives and culture

Atheism is a religion like OFF is a TV channel !!!

Proud of my genetic relatives Big Grin
08-05-2011, 03:49 AM
This reminds me of the bug that stings american cochroaches in the head turning them into zombies. They plant an egg inside the roach and it then hatches and eats the roach from the inside. Of course, I'm not so sure christianity plants an egg and eats your brain, but the zombie part makes sense...

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forego their use." - Galileo

"Every man is guilty of all the good he did not do." - Voltaire
08-05-2011, 04:41 AM
(07-05-2011 07:54 PM)ashley.hunt60 Wrote:  When I tell some random guy I'm an atheist, the most common comeback is "Why?"

I get this kind of reaction most of the time Wink:

[Image: atheistk.jpg]

"Infinitus est numerus stultorum." (The number of fools is infinite)
08-05-2011, 07:08 AM
(07-05-2011 07:37 PM)Buddy Christ Wrote:  Like logic becomes their Tyler Durden, trying to break out and say what they really want to say, but they keep suppressing it as a hallucination.

First rule of religion is, you do not talk about religion. Helps not to think about it too.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
08-05-2011, 08:57 AM
(08-05-2011 07:08 AM)BnW Wrote:  
(07-05-2011 07:37 PM)Buddy Christ Wrote:  Like logic becomes their Tyler Durden, trying to break out and say what they really want to say, but they keep suppressing it as a hallucination.

First rule of religion is, you do not talk about religion. Helps not to think about it too.

The second rule of religion?

“Science is simply common sense at its best, that is, rigidly accurate in observation, and merciless to fallacy in logic.”
—Thomas Henry Huxley
08-05-2011, 09:00 AM
Religion: It makes sense if you don't think about it.

I don't believe Jesus is the son of God until I see the long form birth certificate!
08-05-2011, 10:02 AM
(08-05-2011 08:57 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  
(08-05-2011 07:08 AM)BnW Wrote:  

The second rule of religion?
The second rule is: Should you however really need to talk about religion rule one applies.

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
[+] 1 user Likes Observer's post
08-05-2011, 10:17 AM
(08-05-2011 09:00 AM)ashley.hunt60 Wrote:  Religion: It makes sense if you don't think about it.

It's not thinking or not thinking. Creationist just have other methods of accepting proof and viewings facts. This cartoon couldn't illustrate it any better:

[Image: evolution_vs_creationism.gif]

"Infinitus est numerus stultorum." (The number of fools is infinite)
[+] 1 user Likes Thammuz's post