A new way to insult surgeons

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-01-2014, 08:30 AM
RE: A new way to insult surgeons
(30-01-2014 05:24 AM)Juv Wrote:  
(27-01-2014 10:06 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  I visited someone in a cancer center today, and the name of the facility revealed nothing in the way of Christianity, but I haven't looked it up yet to see if it is secular.

Anyway, I walked into the first-floor lobby and straight ahead behind the glass of one of the reception areas was this 8-foot-x-5-foot oil painting on canvas of a surgeon over a patient (and I think there was a nurse or assistant next to him) and then there was Jesus, with his hands sort of guiding the surgeon.

I almost laughed out loud. How insulting and transparent. Pathetic.
Is it a reputable cancer treatment facility? If it is, then shut the fuck up.

The painting is insulting to medical staff and to medical science so, no, we aren't going to shut up.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
30-01-2014, 09:10 AM
(30-01-2014 05:24 AM)Juv Wrote:  Is it a reputable cancer treatment facility? If it is, then shut the fuck up.

The mere fact that it has this painting (and that its listed under religious companies) means its reputation is in question. If a board of directors or management team approves something like this then it means they are letting religion and irrational superstitions seep into their decision-making, and ultimately that could prove deadly. You'd see that if you didn't have your head shoved up your ass.

So, no, I won't shut the fuck up.

Check out my atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
[+] 5 users Like WillHopp's post
01-02-2014, 05:24 AM (This post was last modified: 01-02-2014 05:30 AM by Juv.)
(30-01-2014 08:30 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(30-01-2014 05:24 AM)Juv Wrote:  Is it a reputable cancer treatment facility? If it is, then shut the fuck up.

The painting is insulting to medical staff and to medical science so, no, we aren't going to shut up.
Really? You're not a physician.
Find all posts by this user
01-02-2014, 05:26 AM (This post was last modified: 01-02-2014 05:29 AM by Juv.)
(30-01-2014 09:10 AM)WillHopp Wrote:  

The mere fact that it has this painting (and that its listed under religious companies) means its reputation is in question. If a board of directors or management team approves something like this then it means they are letting religion and irrational superstitions seep into their decision-making, and ultimately that could prove deadly. You'd see that if you didn't have your head shoved up your ass.

If they perform successful treatment, then they can let whatever seep into their thinking. You're complaining for the hell of it.
01-02-2014, 06:11 AM
(01-02-2014 05:26 AM)Juv Wrote:  
(30-01-2014 09:10 AM)WillHopp Wrote:  The mere fact that it has this painting (and that its listed under religious companies) means its reputation is in question. If a board of directors or management team approves something like this then it means they are letting religion and irrational superstitions seep into their decision-making, and ultimately that could prove deadly. You'd see that if you didn't have your head shoved up your ass.

If they perform successful treatment, then they can let whatever seep into their thinking. You're complaining for the hell of it.

[Image: colin-farrell.gif]

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
[+] 3 users Like Taqiyya Mockingbird's post
01-02-2014, 06:18 AM
(27-01-2014 10:14 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  I do know a few surgeons that think they ARE gawd. Tongue

I work in a hospital with clinicians for the last 15 years - and yes, there are some surgeons who think they are God.
definitely not always the case - but more common in surgery that any other part of medicine.
Then again, sometimes I am God.

A wise man proportions his belief to the evidence -
David Hume

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRhOs7rUrS5bRKvWS7clR7...gNs5ZwpVef]
01-02-2014, 07:23 AM
(01-02-2014 05:24 AM)Juv Wrote:  
(30-01-2014 08:30 AM)Chas Wrote:  The painting is insulting to medical staff and to medical science so, no, we aren't going to shut up.
Really? You're not a physician.

I checked with my doctor - he found it insulting. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
01-02-2014, 07:56 AM
(01-02-2014 07:23 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(01-02-2014 05:24 AM)Juv Wrote:  Really? You're not a physician.

I checked with my doctor - he found it insulting. Drinking Beverage

I find it insulting and work as part of a haem-oncologist team of doctors. Most, even if religious find it insulting. (unless they are a certain brand of evangelical Christians)

David Hume

01-02-2014, 07:56 AM
(27-01-2014 10:06 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  Anyway, I walked into the first-floor lobby and straight ahead behind the glass of one of the reception areas was this 8-foot-x-5-foot oil painting on canvas of a surgeon over a patient (and I think there was a nurse or assistant next to him) and then there was Jesus, with his hands sort of guiding the surgeon.

In Australia many private hospitals are owned by the major churches so it is expected that they will be decorated with Christian iconography.

Quote:I almost laughed out loud. How insulting and transparent. Pathetic.

Yes it's kitsch and perhaps even mawkish but "insulting and transparent"? Really? I would guess that some Christian surgeons do believe that when they have performed well in theatre that "God was with them". Many athletes have superstitions and they perform what can only be described as a ritual before they compete. The purpose of these superstitions is anxiety reduction. If a surgeon wants to believe that their hands are guided by Jesus or Sponge Bob it matters nought--all that matters is that they perform well. If that piece of kitsch art aids that superstition and helps at least one surgeon to commit fewer errors then it should stay hanging.

Also, if the hospital is a private organisation you have no business complaining about its decor.
[+] 1 user Likes Chippy's post
01-02-2014, 08:01 AM
(01-02-2014 05:26 AM)Juv Wrote:  
(30-01-2014 09:10 AM)WillHopp Wrote:  The mere fact that it has this painting (and that its listed under religious companies) means its reputation is in question. If a board of directors or management team approves something like this then it means they are letting religion and irrational superstitions seep into their decision-making, and ultimately that could prove deadly. You'd see that if you didn't have your head shoved up your ass.

what if they don't perform successful treatment ?
What if there is negligence ?

If there Is negligence then the doctor is blamed, they don't say "Oh Jesus caused the negligence"

If there is failure - the doctor is blamed for not being able to do more or "science isn't good enough" - even if it is God which badly designed humans in a botched up manner.

If the doctor is successful then its "thank God"

David Hume