A new way to insult surgeons

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-02-2014, 08:03 AM
RE: A new way to insult surgeons
Quote:Yes it's kitsch and perhaps even mawkish but "insulting and transparent"? Really? I would guess that some Christian surgeons do believe that when they have performed well in theatre that "God was with them". Many athletes have superstitions and they perform what can only be described as a ritual before they compete. The purpose of these superstitions is anxiety reduction. If a surgeon wants to believe that their hands are guided by Jesus or Sponge Bob it matters nought--all that matters is that they perform well. If that piece of kitsch art aids that superstition and helps at least one surgeon to commit fewer errors then it should stay hanging.

Also, if the hospital is a private organisation you have no business complaining about its decor.
[/quote]

You have a point chippy. However it is more respectful to keep the superstition to oneself, privately. Eg keep a cross privately if they believe it helps.

A wise man proportions his belief to the evidence -
David Hume

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRhOs7rUrS5bRKvWS7clR7...gNs5ZwpVef]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-02-2014, 08:20 AM
I wasn't complaining with my OP, merely pointing out this painting and how it was an obvious attempt to pander to the religious rather than be a true representation of the hard work of these professionals. I asked the doctor treating the person I was visiting (the second time I went) if she had seen the painting and she said, "Yes, it's for the patients." And then she chuckled in a chagrin-like manner. It was clear from her reaction she thought it belittled her hard work.

I don't care if they erect statues of Jesus performing a circumcision on George W. Bush. It's a private facility, albeit one with insulting decor to the majority of medical professionals. And how should Jews and Muslims feel about it?

Check out my atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-02-2014, 04:15 PM
(01-02-2014 07:56 AM)Chippy Wrote:  
(27-01-2014 10:06 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  Anyway, I walked into the first-floor lobby and straight ahead behind the glass of one of the reception areas was this 8-foot-x-5-foot oil painting on canvas of a surgeon over a patient (and I think there was a nurse or assistant next to him) and then there was Jesus, with his hands sort of guiding the surgeon.

In Australia many private hospitals are owned by the major churches so it is expected that they will be decorated with Christian iconography.

Quote:I almost laughed out loud. How insulting and transparent. Pathetic.

Yes it's kitsch and perhaps even mawkish but "insulting and transparent"? Really? I would guess that some Christian surgeons do believe that when they have performed well in theatre that "God was with them". Many athletes have superstitions and they perform what can only be described as a ritual before they compete. The purpose of these superstitions is anxiety reduction. If a surgeon wants to believe that their hands are guided by Jesus or Sponge Bob it matters nought--all that matters is that they perform well. If that piece of kitsch art aids that superstition and helps at least one surgeon to commit fewer errors then it should stay hanging.

Also, if the hospital is a private organisation you have no business complaining about its decor.

I think we are perfectly free to comment on their tacky decor. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 3 users Like Chas's post
01-02-2014, 04:24 PM
I don't see why it's not ok to comment on decor just because it's privately owned. ... I'm sat in my mates house now and his curtains are fucking shit! Smile

A man blames his bad childhood on leprechauns. He claims they don't exist, but yet still says without a doubt that they stole all his money and then killed his parents. That's why he became Leprechaun-Man

Im_Ryan forum member
01-02-2014, 06:42 PM
(01-02-2014 04:15 PM)Chas Wrote:  I think we are perfectly free to comment on their tacky decor. Drinking Beverage

You are, I should have been clearer. I meant letter-of-complaint type complaining.
01-02-2014, 07:42 PM
Yeah, I'm not writing anyone about this, that's for sure. Just hated it.

----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
01-02-2014, 08:08 PM
If they do happen to be a Christian-centric hospital, I guess it's their prerogative to have that kind of thing emblazoned on the wall.

But it still just kind of seems like a huge middle finger to all the surgeons and doctors....

THIS USER IS NO LONGER ACTIVE. THANK YOU, AND HAVE A GREAT DAY! http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...a-few-days
01-02-2014, 08:32 PM
Yeah, don't misunderstand me here, this facility is not an openly Christian establishment. In fact, if I didn't see that painting I would never have thought anything. So when I got home and looked it up and saw it was listed under religious friendly businesses, etc. but it wasn't exactly overt with religious relics and practices.

----
02-02-2014, 05:54 AM
(01-02-2014 07:56 AM)Baruch Wrote:  
(01-02-2014 07:23 AM)Chas Wrote:  I checked with my doctor - he found it insulting. Drinking Beverage

I find it insulting and work as part of a haem-oncologist team of doctors. Most, even if religious find it insulting. (unless they are a certain brand of evangelical Christians)

Maybe so, but that does not mean physicians are in danger of having their science based skills disrupted by religious art. Think of how many religious based hospitals there are, and the vast majority have excellent medical staff.
02-02-2014, 06:01 AM
Sooo,if there are complications in a surgery,blame jesus?

I don't really like going outside.
It's too damn "peopley" out there....