A newborn atheist just can't get the church's music out of her head

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-08-2012, 07:44 PM
A newborn atheist just can't get the church's music out of her head
" Coming out as an atheist felt good. But when she got home to Tallahassee, Florida, she discovered that a video of her coming-out speech had gone viral. Her church and community shunned her.

I was saddened but not surprised. Many people attend seminary because they are seeking answers to serious questions about the faith. When they do pastoral care, those questions become sharper.

What really caught my attention about MacBain's story was this: "I miss the music," she told NPR. "Some of the hymns, I still catch myself singing them," she said. "I mean, they're beautiful pieces of music.""

http://www.christianitytoday.com/ct/2012...paging=off
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-08-2012, 08:02 PM
RE: A newborn atheist just can't get the church's music out of her head
(27-08-2012 07:44 PM)Jeff Wrote:  What really caught my attention about MacBain's story was this: "I miss the music," she told NPR. "Some of the hymns, I still catch myself singing them," she said. "I mean, they're beautiful pieces of music.""

http://www.christianitytoday.com/ct/2012...paging=off

Some of the music is great. Depending on the denomination it may have been written by Bach and other greats. My favorite piece of music is Come Sweet Death, by Bach. Very religiously inspired, but that doesn't take away that is great music.

Why are you still reading this line when it is obviously my signature line?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like FaceOfBoe's post
27-08-2012, 08:04 PM
(27-08-2012 07:44 PM)Jeff Wrote:  What really caught my attention about MacBain's story was this: "I miss the music," she told NPR. "Some of the hymns, I still catch myself singing them," she said. "I mean, they're beautiful pieces of music.""

Music is part of the means religions use today to keep you in. People can get someway controlled/brainwashed by emotions, I believe.

if your faith can move mountains it should be able to withstand criticism
27-08-2012, 08:10 PM
I've come to the conclusion that religious people (either the musicians by accident or people intentionally) use chords and such that cause "goosebumps" and other happy emotions or just pleasant emotional uplifts in religious songs. People then think "I'm worshipping god, and now I have this great feeling, it's GOD!!!" not realizing that it's just the music and chords--the words aren't important--they could sing about worshipping satan while wearing baloney for pants and crapping on stools and they'd still have an uplifting experience.
[+] 5 users Like elemts's post
27-08-2012, 09:26 PM
Some of the best music in the world (in my personal opinion of course) is religiously inspired, from the aforementioned classical pieces like Schubert's Ave Maria to what I refer to as "psuedo gospel" music made by the Jerry Garcia band. Heck, even a secular classic like Dylan's Knockin' on Heaven's Door includes a reference to a religious concept right in its title.

One of my personal goals in life is help build an entire genre of music that leverages the music and symbolism but drops any hint of superstitious thought/belief. Hence the moniker "pseudo gospel".

Join the Logic Speaks Community

I am the unconverted
27-08-2012, 10:05 PM
(27-08-2012 08:10 PM)elemts Wrote:  I've come to the conclusion that religious people (either the musicians by accident or people intentionally) use chords and such that cause "goosebumps" and other happy emotions or just pleasant emotional uplifts in religious songs. People then think "I'm worshipping god, and now I have this great feeling, it's GOD!!!" not realizing that it's just the music and chords--the words aren't important--they could sing about worshipping satan while wearing baloney for pants and crapping on stools and they'd still have an uplifting experience.

I agree with all of this, and think some of it is caused by repetition, too. Remember Seth's speech at FreeOK last year? He sang some hymns and several people joined in because the songs were so familiar.

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Starcrash's post
28-08-2012, 12:12 AM (This post was last modified: 28-08-2012 12:22 AM by Rahn127.)
Most of the music I love is R&B / Soul. I feel it like no other, and occasionally I'll find some gospel that also hits me just right.
As an atheist, I will sing these songs at the top of lungs and I don't care who hears me.
The lyrics are felt as just words to me. If I was religious, I could see how they would make you feel uplifted in a mental masturbation kind of way.

The first is Mary Mary - "God in me"

When these two women start singing about "as soon they get home and get behind closed doors, they are on their knees".
The thought alone sends shivers up and down my spine.
They also say that "everything this girl got she's been given"....Well duh, the girl gets down on her knees. She's a blow job queen. Ain't worked a day in her life

The second is Marvin Sap - "Never would have made it"
This song, for me, can be sung as if you are really thankful for what another person has done for you.
I sing it when thinking about my son when I was going through a difficult time many years ago. If it wasn't for him, I might not have made it.

After watching that, you can really see how the girl searching for a job in the paper couldn't have picked up the paper again
and kept searching through it if christ wasn't there to move her to pick up that pen and keep looking. It's just a mystery how the lord works - LOL

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
28-08-2012, 12:29 AM (This post was last modified: 28-08-2012 01:58 AM by Bucky Ball.)
No need to give it up. Just change the words. Music is music.
http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...ht=Richter

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist
Isaiah 45:7 "I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things" (KJV)

28-08-2012, 01:18 PM
I love Christmas hymns and sing or hum them to myself for a month solid every year.

I also like "My God Is An Awesome God" but I've changed the words to "My Dog is an Awesome Dog."

My Year Of the Bible - A blog on reading the Bible

Fear is strange soil. Mainly it grows obedience like corn, which grows in rows and makes weeding easy. But sometimes it grows the potatoes of defiance, which flourish underground.
- Terry Pratchett
[+] 2 users Like futureMACH's post
28-08-2012, 01:33 PM
I never realized how religious this song sounds until I heard this version

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 1 user Likes Rahn127's post