A not so common defense of Christianity

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-09-2016, 08:45 PM
RE: A not so common defense of Christianity
(12-09-2016 05:18 PM)goldenarm Wrote:  The offspring of fallen angels and human women. They are Giants and apparently their purpose was to corrupt the seedline so Jesus couldn't come from a perfect seed. Genesis 3:15

No. That part talks about the serpent and the fall.

Quote:Genesis 3:15
And I will put enmity between thee and the woman, and between thy seed and her seed; it shall bruise thy head, and thou shalt bruise his heel.

link

Unless the Nephilim were snakes?

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
13-09-2016, 02:03 PM
Quote:Unless the Nephilim were snakes?

They'd get a kick outa that in Japan
[+] 1 user Likes natachan's post
13-09-2016, 11:30 PM
(12-09-2016 01:55 PM)goldenarm Wrote:  Hey everyone! I'm an agnostic who used to be an atheist(Christian before that) and I'm really trying to be as open minded as possible in terms of what I believe and don't believe. So, on YouTube there is a guy who's channel is called Godrules and he discusses some topics that have allegedly been skewed in the bible and lead to atheism he claims( it's interesting and I recommend atheists go check out). The rest of that is for another forum. Anyways his claim converning Noah's ark and the flood is that God isn't genocidal because he was killing off Nephilim in the flood and he uses the book of Enoch and jubilees to "prove" that. He also says that anytime God ordered genocide of a nation in the Old Testament he is really just commanding extermination of the Nephilim. I'm curious what arguments atheists have on this one because I've already heard the Christain perspective, but anyone can comment. Is this what the bible teaches? Or is there error morally and the God of the Old Testament really is a genocidal maniac? Thanks.

So it's not genocide because.....he was targeting a specific group of people for extermination. Uh.......

It is held that valour is the chiefest virtue and most dignifies the haver.
[+] 6 users Like WhiskeyDebates's post
14-09-2016, 08:41 AM
Trying to explain away genocide is a set of mental gymnastic skills that I don't have.

Even if it is fictional genocide.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 2 users Like Rahn127's post
14-09-2016, 11:30 AM
Consider
Remember when that Da Vinci Code book came out and people were talking about it? A coworker was trying to make conversation and asked me, "So, what about that Da Vinci Code - is it true?"

Since this appears to be a somewhat similar discussion, I'll repeat the response I left her to ponder: You're asking someone whether a work of fiction is true.
Dodgy

I'm not saying philosophical works can't be inspirational - they should be! I just don't think one needs to excuse and/or validate a reprehensible deed. It begs moral exclusion. Shy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
14-09-2016, 02:19 PM
(12-09-2016 01:55 PM)goldenarm Wrote:  Hey everyone! I'm an agnostic who used to be an atheist(Christian before that) and I'm really trying to be as open minded as possible in terms of what I believe and don't believe. So, on YouTube there is a guy who's channel is called Godrules and he discusses some topics that have allegedly been skewed in the bible and lead to atheism he claims( it's interesting and I recommend atheists go check out). The rest of that is for another forum. Anyways his claim converning Noah's ark and the flood is that God isn't genocidal because he was killing off Nephilim in the flood and he uses the book of Enoch and jubilees to "prove" that. He also says that anytime God ordered genocide of a nation in the Old Testament he is really just commanding extermination of the Nephilim. I'm curious what arguments atheists have on this one because I've already heard the Christain perspective, but anyone can comment. Is this what the bible teaches? Or is there error morally and the God of the Old Testament really is a genocidal maniac? Thanks.

Most of the points have already been addressed so, not sure how much more I would add.

I usally identify myself as an Agnostic Atheist. I don't believe in a god because I don't know anything about it. I probably would fall on a 6 on the Dawkins scale.

Now one can be an Agnostic Theist as well. You can say you don't know anything of what a god would wont or is, but you believe that their is one.

Unfortunately there is no middle on the road on the matter.

If I had a box and I told you that I had a cat in it. You could ether believe that I had a cat in it or not. If I explained in saying That i haven't seen into the box ether to confirm or deny that the cat was inside. You would be left with having to decide if their was or wasn't a cat inside. Their is no middle ground ether there is or isn't.

You can throw you hands up in the air and say I don't know. But that fact would still remain.

And until one can open this metaphorical box and see. There is no way of knowing.

And as far as the Noah story goes. Come on man. Everything about that story is pure fantasy. Even when science isn't applied to it common sense should be enough to tell you it's false.

I created a thread with a couple other including the original tale that Noahs was pulled from.

http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...od-Stories

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin