A note to all forum members

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
30-08-2010, 07:22 AM
A note to all forum members
Hey everybody,

As most of you know, this forum has been without an administration for quite a while now. Over the last couple weeks, I have been in communication with the editor/owner of this site (aka TheThinkingAtheist). In the next few days I will be accessing the admin account, and with the help of Unbeliever, we will attempt to clean up the bot situation as best we can, and possibly look into doing some minor improvements to the forum. I can't thank Unbeliever enough for volunteering to take this on with me, as I am not the most computer savvy guy around, and his help will be most valuable.

An important note to remember: we are not moderators. This site has been self moderated by the membership for a long time, and we do not intend to change that. Please don't ask us to delete members, threads, or posts. Our intent is to improve the forum as best we can, so we can all enjoy it more. I am not even sure yet, how much we can do, but over the next week or two we will find out.

Bear with us. We appreciate your patience, and hope we can encourage our current members to stick around, and make the forum as welcoming as possible for new members.

One last point. Try to keep in mind that we are both volunteering our time, and are not obligated in any way. I'm not implying that we take this task lightly, but only reminding our members that we have many obligations outside of this forum that are priorities. If things go slowly, try to understand that we are doing the best with the time we can spare.

Thanks to all of you for making this a great forum!

James

aka Stark Raving.

[Image: StarkLord01.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-08-2010, 08:23 AM
RE: A note to all forum members
(30-08-2010 07:22 AM)Stark Raving Wrote:  An important note to remember: we are not moderators. This site has been self moderated by the membership for a long time, and we do not intend to change that. Please don't ask us to delete members, threads, or posts.

Except bots. Tongue

"Sometimes it is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness."
- Terry Pratchett
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
30-08-2010, 08:51 AM
Umm...Cool? Thats pretty much all I can say, also: big thanks and death für das Botten!

Correct me when I'm wrong.
Accept me or go to hell.
30-08-2010, 12:47 PM
Nice! Thanks guys!

"It does feel like something to be wrong; it feels like being right." -Kathryn Schulz
I am 100% certain that I am wrong about something I am certain about right now. Because even if everything I stand for turns out to be completely true, I was still wrong about being wrong.
30-08-2010, 03:07 PM

Right on... those of us who are highly technical appreciate it when the non-techies step up to the plate.
Quote this message in a reply
30-08-2010, 05:33 PM
(30-08-2010 03:07 PM)dtwpuck Wrote:  Right on... those of us who are highly technical appreciate it when the non-techies step up to the plate.

You may start to appreciate it a little less now that I know you're "highly technical"!! Prepare for a ton of questions in you private message box!!!!! LOL

Really though, one of the things that may help make this forum a little easier to navigate would be a few more categories than just "My Forum". I don't want to get carried away, but perhaps at least a few different categories may help everyone to find the topics they are looking for.

This thread would be as good a thread as any to make any suggestions you may have, including category titles. It's also where I'll post any info on changes we make. (At least for now).

One important piece of info for you all: If you are a legit user, and have a link in your signature, please remove it. It's not against any rules, but while I am getting used to how things work, I'll be deleting any users with a link in their signature, since it's a good indicator of a bot. (For the more senior members that I already know, please do the same, just in the name of fairness). Hopefully this is temporary, and you should be able to put a link back if you so choose in the near future.

Thanks.

P.S. I'll sticky this so new members will know to read and follow this thread as things develop.

30-08-2010, 05:43 PM
For now, I'm adding a couple of new forum sections that I'm pretty sure will be needed. Right now there's no need to worry about going to other forum sections. I'm just getting them ready.

- Terry Pratchett
30-08-2010, 06:28 PM
Hey everyone.

If you'll check the forum index, you'll see that the forum is now divided into several sections. Try to put discussions in their appropriate sections from now on. Thanks!

- Terry Pratchett
31-08-2010, 12:52 PM

Giving yourself 7 star ranks lol

What is the maximum possible for the rest of us?
Quote this message in a reply
31-08-2010, 12:55 PM
I was bugging Unbeliever about it. Turns out it's based on number of posts. When our statuses changed from member to admin, it automatically gave the seven stars. I refuse to moderate, so I gotta abuse the power somehow!! LOL.

Think max is five, but don't really know.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  RFC: Forum Dating DLJ 21 316 13-07-2014 09:44 AM
Last Post: Mathilda
  Forum statistics Lightvader 13 206 08-07-2014 12:18 AM
Last Post: Lightvader
  CloudFlare & Forum Stability DeepThought 30 290 04-07-2014 12:20 PM
Last Post: pablo628
  Forum terminology questions beeglez 12 243 01-05-2014 05:52 AM
Last Post: War Horse
  What do we now have on the forum? Hughsie 3 107 30-04-2014 07:06 PM
Last Post: An_Theist
  To members that have unapproved sockpuppet (duplicate) accounts: kingschosen 92 1,640 19-03-2014 03:42 PM
Last Post: EvolutionKills
  Trolls and Forum Quality Dark Phoenix 282 3,563 15-03-2014 08:36 PM
Last Post: Anjele