A passing fancy...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-05-2014, 08:25 AM
A passing fancy...
It's my birthday and my thoughts are of death. Not my own, but of ours as a species. Never mind what prompted this line of thinking, I wonder, will we go the way of 99.9% of species who've called Earth home? Or will we beat the odds and save ourselves? Perhaps be saved by another species who somehow survived their technological infancy, who managed to avoid the destructive byproduct of creation?

Or will they arrive only after it is too late? After the last of us has entertained his final thought? Will they comb through the ruins of our civilization? And if so, what will they find? Will anything of note survive in order that we might continue, if only through the words we've put down and the images we've put to canvas?

Because the thought of our simply ceasing to be, and leaving behind no trace of our ever having been here... haunts me.

I am, myself, finite, transient, a passing fancy in an indifferent universe's long list of such fancies. But our species, the human race - beautiful and awful as it can be - in this - in our words and in the images wrought from our mind's eye - I think, we could achieve immortality.

But will we? Will we live on in even the most fleeting sense? Somehow I cannot bring myself to believe that we will, and this is a patent sadness to me - as one who has no children leaves no trace of themselves behind, so will we go?

And yet, I cling to the future with a kind of stubborn optimism not easily shaken. For in this moment, I have a man who has seen me at my best and my worst, and loves me just the same. I have friends, the number and quality of which I think I can safely say I've not experienced before. And I've finally made some good decisions for myself, finally recognized that I am just as deserving of the happiness I so often wish for others.

For someone who has never quite given herself enough credit, who has never quite felt so at peace with herself as she does now, these things are, all of them, a testament to beating the odds. In this I find at least a modicum of hope.

Life is, and continues to be: vastly improbable, triumphant in the face of almost insurmountable odds, infinitely preferable to death, and in the instance of my own experience... getting better and better, all the time.

I love you all. Hug

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like Escape Artist's post
05-05-2014, 08:28 AM
RE: A passing fancy...
Get in a cryogenic tuuuuube!

[Image: v0jpzpT.png]
[+] 2 users Like Alex_Leonardo's post
05-05-2014, 08:30 AM
(05-05-2014 08:28 AM)Alex_Leonardo Wrote:  Get in a cryogenic tuuuuube!

Oh, I so would. I would love to know how we fare in the future. Yes

[+] 1 user Likes Escape Artist's post
05-05-2014, 08:31 AM
(05-05-2014 08:30 AM)Escape Artist Wrote:  
(05-05-2014 08:28 AM)Alex_Leonardo Wrote:  Get in a cryogenic tuuuuube!

Oh, I so would. I would love to know how we fare in the future. Yes

Unless we all die.

[+] 1 user Likes Alex_Leonardo's post
05-05-2014, 08:31 AM
In the large scope of things, there's no way we'll be remembered (assuming we never get off this rock). Who knows? Maybe that's a good thing.

It's all about the here and now

Atir aissom atir imon
[+] 1 user Likes Im_Ryan's post
05-05-2014, 08:32 AM
(05-05-2014 08:31 AM)Alex_Leonardo Wrote:  
(05-05-2014 08:30 AM)Escape Artist Wrote:  Oh, I so would. I would love to know how we fare in the future. Yes

Unless we all die.

I would get in one too, I mean, 50/50 shot. I'm gonna die anyways, what do I have to lose?

Atir aissom atir imon
[+] 1 user Likes Im_Ryan's post
05-05-2014, 08:35 AM
(05-05-2014 08:32 AM)Im_Ryan Wrote:  
(05-05-2014 08:31 AM)Alex_Leonardo Wrote:  Unless we all die.

I would get in one too, I mean, 50/50 shot. I'm gonna die anyways, what do I have to lose?

It's technically not 50/50, see you have to analyze the state of the world and what-
Whatever...
GET IN THE TUBE! Evil_monster

05-05-2014, 08:36 AM
I think we won't "die out" but change into something else. Like homo erectus. They didn't just cease to be, they changed into us. I think we are going to do something similar.

But, since our universe will eventually die so will we. But that's several trillion years off, and we will have changed several times over and gone extinct. Who knows what forms we will take on along the way?
[+] 1 user Likes natachan's post
05-05-2014, 08:39 AM
(05-05-2014 08:36 AM)natachan Wrote:  I think we won't "die out" but change into something else. Like homo erectus. They didn't just cease to be, they changed into us. I think we are going to do something similar.

But, since our universe will eventually die so will we. But that's several trillion years off, and we will have changed several times over and gone extinct. Who knows what forms we will take on along the way?

I do!

05-05-2014, 08:40 AM
(05-05-2014 08:36 AM)natachan Wrote:  I think we won't "die out" but change into something else. Like homo erectus. They didn't just cease to be, they changed into us. I think we are going to do something similar.

Yes, I quite like that thought. That we will at least survive until we would no longer recognize ourselves as humans. My current concern is that we will destroy ourselves long before that occurs.