A passing fancy...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-05-2014, 08:42 AM
RE: A passing fancy...
(05-05-2014 08:40 AM)Escape Artist Wrote:  
(05-05-2014 08:36 AM)natachan Wrote:  I think we won't "die out" but change into something else. Like homo erectus. They didn't just cease to be, they changed into us. I think we are going to do something similar.

But, since our universe will eventually die so will we. But that's several trillion years off, and we will have changed several times over and gone extinct. Who knows what forms we will take on along the way?

Yes, I quite like that thought. That we will at least survive until we would no longer recognize ourselves as humans. My current concern is that we will destroy ourselves long before that occurs.
The Fermi paradox was missing the Dalek factor.

[Image: v0jpzpT.png]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-05-2014, 08:42 AM (This post was last modified: 05-05-2014 08:47 AM by Free Thought.)
(05-05-2014 08:25 AM)Escape Artist Wrote:  It's my birthday and my thoughts are of death. Not my own, but of ours as a species. Never mind what prompted this line of thinking, I wonder, will we go the way of 99.9% of species who've called Earth home? Or will we beat the odds and save ourselves? Perhaps be saved by another species who somehow survived their technological infancy, who managed to avoid the destructive byproduct of creation?

Or will they arrive only after it is too late? After the last of us has entertained his final thought? Will they comb through the ruins of our civilization? And if so, what will they find? Will anything of note survive in order that we might continue, if only through the words we've put down and the images we've put to canvas?

Because the thought of our simply ceasing to be, and leaving behind no trace of our ever having been here... haunts me.

I am, myself, finite, transient, a passing fancy in an indifferent universe's long list of such fancies. But our species, the human race - beautiful and awful as it can be - in this - in our words and in the images wrought from our mind's eye - I think, we could achieve immortality.

But will we? Will we live on in even the most fleeting sense? Somehow I cannot bring myself to believe that we will, and this is a patent sadness to me - as one who has no children leaves no trace of themselves behind, so will we go?

And yet, I cling to the future with a kind of stubborn optimism not easily shaken. For in this moment, I have a man who has seen me at my best and my worst, and loves me just the same. I have friends, the number and quality of which I think I can safely say I've not experienced before. And I've finally made some good decisions for myself, finally recognized that I am just as deserving of the happiness I so often wish for others.

For someone who has never quite given herself enough credit, who has never quite felt so at peace with herself as she does now, these things are, all of them, a testament to beating the odds. In this I find at least a modicum of hope.

Life is, and continues to be: vastly improbable, triumphant in the face of almost insurmountable odds, infinitely preferable to death, and in the instance of my own experience... getting better and better, all the time.

I love you all. Hug

[Image: tldr.jpg]

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 3 users Like Free Thought's post
05-05-2014, 08:48 AM
(05-05-2014 08:42 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  
(05-05-2014 08:25 AM)Escape Artist Wrote:  It's my birthday and my thoughts are of death. Not my own, but of ours as a species. Never mind what prompted this line of thinking, I wonder, will we go the way of 99.9% of species who've called Earth home? Or will we beat the odds and save ourselves? Perhaps be saved by another species who somehow survived their technological infancy, who managed to avoid the destructive byproduct of creation?

Or will they arrive only after it is too late? After the last of us has entertained his final thought? Will they comb through the ruins of our civilization? And if so, what will they find? Will anything of note survive in order that we might continue, if only through the words we've put down and the images we've put to canvas?

Because the thought of our simply ceasing to be, and leaving behind no trace of our ever having been here... haunts me.

I am, myself, finite, transient, a passing fancy in an indifferent universe's long list of such fancies. But our species, the human race - beautiful and awful as it can be - in this - in our words and in the images wrought from our mind's eye - I think, we could achieve immortality.

But will we? Will we live on in even the most fleeting sense? Somehow I cannot bring myself to believe that we will, and this is a patent sadness to me - as one who has no children leaves no trace of themselves behind, so will we go?

And yet, I cling to the future with a kind of stubborn optimism not easily shaken. For in this moment, I have a man who has seen me at my best and my worst, and loves me just the same. I have friends, the number and quality of which I think I can safely say I've not experienced before. And I've finally made some good decisions for myself, finally recognized that I am just as deserving of the happiness I so often wish for others.

For someone who has never quite given herself enough credit, who has never quite felt so at peace with herself as she does now, these things are, all of them, a testament to beating the odds. In this I find at least a modicum of hope.

Life is, and continues to be: vastly improbable, triumphant in the face of almost insurmountable odds, infinitely preferable to death, and in the instance of my own experience... getting better and better, all the time.

I love you all. Hug

[Image: tldr.jpg]

Dodgy

[+] 5 users Like Escape Artist's post
05-05-2014, 08:53 AM
(05-05-2014 08:40 AM)Escape Artist Wrote:  
(05-05-2014 08:36 AM)natachan Wrote:  I think we won't "die out" but change into something else. Like homo erectus. They didn't just cease to be, they changed into us. I think we are going to do something similar.

But, since our universe will eventually die so will we. But that's several trillion years off, and we will have changed several times over and gone extinct. Who knows what forms we will take on along the way?

Yes, I quite like that thought. That we will at least survive until we would no longer recognize ourselves as humans. My current concern is that we will destroy ourselves long before that occurs.

I keep hearing that evolution for us as a species is pretty much extinct with the technology we have now. I don't know the specifics but I agree that we change our surroundings rather than the other way around. I think we'll have to blow ourselves out of the tech age to let evolution try again Laugh out load

Atir aissom atir imon
[+] 2 users Like Im_Ryan's post
05-05-2014, 09:18 AM
I'm tempted to use my moderately-super-powers to merge this thread with this one.

I gotta feeling they are headed in the same direction.

I had something to say but now I'm all confuddled because I don't know which thread to add to.

Weeping

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
05-05-2014, 11:02 AM
And he REALLY wants to merge a thread right now. Like, REALLY. He's wanting to, like a pregnancy craving.
He's got the urge to merge.

A person very dear to me was badly hurt through a misunderstanding and miscommunication. For this, I am sorry, and he knows it. That said, any blaming me for malicious intent is for the birds. I will not wear some scarlet letter, I will not be anybody's whipping girl, and I will not lurk in silence.
[+] 3 users Like Charis's post
05-05-2014, 01:50 PM
(05-05-2014 11:02 AM)Charis Wrote:  And he REALLY wants to merge a thread right now. Like, REALLY. He's wanting to, like a pregnancy craving.
He's got the urge to merge.

Well, it can be hard to play it cool... if'n yer a mergin' virgin...

He surely ain't no other kinda virgin Big Grin

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 3 users Like morondog's post
05-05-2014, 03:40 PM
I'm in a hurry, and plan on coming back to read thru this, but wanted to pop in and at least say HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!! Heart

I hope that the world turns, and things get better. But what I hope most of all is that you understand what I mean when I tell you that, even though I do not know you, and even though I may never meet you, laugh with you, cry with you, or kiss you, I love you. With all my heart, I love you. - V for Vendetta
[+] 2 users Like Smercury44's post
06-05-2014, 11:22 AM (This post was last modified: 06-05-2014 12:05 PM by Tartarus Sauce.)
Reading about the existential turmoil of our species gives me a boner.

Just kidding Tongue

[Image: giphy.gif]
06-05-2014, 11:33 AM
Happy (belated?) Birthday EA.

Hug

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces