A peer into the mind of a twisted theist

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-04-2012, 08:03 PM
A peer into the mind of a twisted theist
http://winteryknight.wordpress.com/2012/...ef-in-god/

I can't decide whether my favorite part is his refusal to acknowledge that theism and atheism deal with belief and not knowledge (I know for a fact that he's been told this before) or whether I'm more into the delicious irony of his admitting that he won't deal with most atheists that attempt to engage him in conversation even though his blog's catch line is "...integrating Christian faith and knowledge in the public square."

Join the Logic Speaks Community

I am the unconverted
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
28-04-2012, 09:03 PM
RE: A peer into the mind of a twisted theist
(28-04-2012 08:03 PM)lightninlives Wrote:  http://winteryknight.wordpress.com/2012/...ef-in-god/

I can't decide whether my favorite part is his refusal to acknowledge that theism and atheism deal with belief and not knowledge (I know for a fact that he's been told this before) or whether I'm more into the delicious irony of his admitting that he won't deal with most atheists that attempt to engage him in conversation even though his blog's catch line is "...integrating Christian faith and knowledge in the public square."
I see you have your own Forum.

Too much replicating for me .......David Craig Lane etc......Wintery Knight. blah, blah.

Others may love this but I prefer more succinct posts or going to one other forum at most Wink
[+] 1 user Likes Mr Woof's post
28-04-2012, 09:17 PM
That's clearly a straw-man. Dr. Craig assumes that all modern atheists are positive atheists because
Quote:Certain atheists in the mid-twentieth century were promoting the so-called “presumption of atheism
....and with no explanation of how he does it, he makes "certain" atheists into "all" atheists. With that false assumption made, he then demands that they also have a burden of proof. Yes, atheists holding a positive view have a burden of proof. However, denial that negative atheists exist doesn't make us actually cease to exist. He posits that we're "shirking their epistemic responsibility" by throwing off the burden of proof, which is true if we buy into his false premise that we're all positive atheists. We're not. He's simply wrong.

Anyway, I like your post. It's insightful, up until the end where you attempt to rationalize taking away the freedom of speech from people who disagree with you. Otherwise, well done.

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Starcrash's post
28-04-2012, 10:15 PM
(28-04-2012 09:17 PM)Starcrash Wrote:  That's clearly a straw-man. Dr. Craig assumes that all modern atheists are positive atheists because
Quote:Certain atheists in the mid-twentieth century were promoting the so-called “presumption of atheism
....and with no explanation of how he does it, he makes "certain" atheists into "all" atheists. With that false assumption made, he then demands that they also have a burden of proof. Yes, atheists holding a positive view have a burden of proof. However, denial that negative atheists exist doesn't make us actually cease to exist. He posits that we're "shirking their epistemic responsibility" by throwing off the burden of proof, which is true if we buy into his false premise that we're all positive atheists. We're not. He's simply wrong.

Anyway, I like your post. It's insightful, up until the end where you attempt to rationalize taking away the freedom of speech from people who disagree with you. Otherwise, well done.
Definitely agree and it's fairly sad that he recognizes the need to censor comments that will give this point of view the light of day within that cavernous bubble he has built for himself.

I'm actually curious as to where you picked up on my desire to take away freedom of speech from people who disagree with me? If I did that, even unintentionally, I'll need to revise the piece and think through my existing stance, because I'm definitely not cool with denying anyone freedom of speech.

I am the unconverted
29-04-2012, 04:27 AM
(28-04-2012 09:17 PM)Starcrash Wrote:  That's clearly a straw-man. Dr. Craig assumes that all modern atheists are positive atheists because
....and with no explanation of how he does it, he makes "certain" atheists into "all" atheists.

Abra-cadabra! Tongue WLC is such a tool.

As for the OP, how many Wintery threads you gonna make? Are you Wintery in disguise? Tongue

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
29-04-2012, 06:13 PM
(28-04-2012 10:15 PM)lightninlives Wrote:  I'm actually curious as to where you picked up on my desire to take away freedom of speech from people who disagree with me? If I did that, even unintentionally, I'll need to revise the piece and think through my existing stance, because I'm definitely not cool with denying anyone freedom of speech.
Well, I'm making the grand assumption that you are Wintery Knight. If not, and you're just sharing a nice blog post you found, then I'm terribly sorry and I didn't mean to accuse you of such a thing.

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
29-04-2012, 08:38 PM
(29-04-2012 06:13 PM)Starcrash Wrote:  
(28-04-2012 10:15 PM)lightninlives Wrote:  I'm actually curious as to where you picked up on my desire to take away freedom of speech from people who disagree with me? If I did that, even unintentionally, I'll need to revise the piece and think through my existing stance, because I'm definitely not cool with denying anyone freedom of speech.
Well, I'm making the grand assumption that you are Wintery Knight. If not, and you're just sharing a nice blog post you found, then I'm terribly sorry and I didn't mean to accuse you of such a thing.
I'm definitely not Wintery Knight. I'm actually the guy that wrote the critical article after witnessing his shenanigans first-hand. I can share the email exchanges I had with Wintery Knight if you're interested.

He's a real piece of work, and I'd hate to think that he actually holds some semblance of authority/influence over the folks that read his blog. That's why I'm trying to expose him to a larger audience.

I am the unconverted
[+] 1 user Likes lightninlives's post
29-04-2012, 09:14 PM
This goes to the argument that Billy Wayne Craig is promoting as the centerpiece in every debate, "If atheism cannot be proven to be true, then theism is true".
In other words, "If you can't prove god does not exist, then he does".
Craig tried this with Hitchens and Harris debates and they both just ignored his assertions.
As we should ignore this assertion now.

The old gods are dead, let's invent some new ones before something really bad happens.
[+] 3 users Like Thomas's post