16 times
17 times
18 times
19 times or more
[Show Results]

A personality test

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-07-2011, 10:16 PM (This post was last modified: 12-07-2011 11:09 PM by UnderTheMicroscope.)
RE: A personality test
1. I am easily overwhelmed by strong sensory input.
No.

2. I seem to be aware of subtleties in my environment.
No.

3. Other people's moods affect me.
Yes.

4. I tend to be very sensitive to pain.
Yes.

5. I find myself needing to withdraw during busy days,into bed or into a darkened room or any place where I can have some privacy and relief from stimulation.
Yes.

6. I am particularly sensitive to the effects of caffeine.
No, I in fact, have built a a tolerance to it.

7. I am easily overwhelmed by things like bright lights, strong smells,coarse fabrics,or sirens close by.
Yes(Bright lights)

8. I have a rich,complex inner life.
Yes(?)

9. I am made uncomfortable by loud noises.
No.

10. I am deeply moved by the arts or music.
Yes.

11. My nervous system sometimes feels so frazzled that I just have to go off by myself.
No.

12. I am conscientious.
Yes.

13. I startle easily.
No

14. I get rattled when I have a lot to do in a short amount of time.
No.

15. When people are uncomfortable in a physical environment I tend to know what needs to be done to make it more comfortable (like changing the lighting or the seating).
No.

16. I am annoyed when people try to get me to do too many things at once.
No.

17. I try hard to avoid making mistakes or forgetting things.
Yes.

18. I make a point to avoid violent movies and TV shows.
No.

19. become unpleasantly aroused when a lot is going on around me.
No(?)

20. Being very hungry creates a strong reaction in me,disrupting my concentration or mood.
No.

21. Changes in my life shake me up.
Yes.

22. I notice and enjoy delicate or fine scents, tastes, sounds, works of art.
No.(sense of smell doesn't work well enough)

23. I find it unpleasant to have a lot going on at once.
No.

24. I make it a high priority to arrange my life to avoid upsetting or overwhelming situations.
No.

25. I am bothered by intense stimuli, like loud noises or chaotic scenes.
No.

26. When I must compete or be observed while performing a task, I become so nervous or shaky that I do much worse than I would otherwise.
No.

27. When I was a child, my parents or teachers seemed to see me as sensitive or shy.
Yes.

My yes' 10
My Nose(jk) 16

and my significant other wants to do it too. So here's Laura's answers.

ummmmm no? xD

yes ^^

Yes.

physical?
Nope xD

5. I find myself needing to withdraw during busy days,into bed or into a darkened room or any place where I can have some privacy and relief from stimulation.
yep
Isolation 8D

Nope.

7. I am easily overwhelmed by things like bright lights, strong smells,coarse fabrics,or sirens close by.
Hellz yeah ;D *goes into a dark room*
nope

complex...yes xD

hmmmm.........not really.

YES Big Grin

11. My nervous system sometimes feels so frazzled that I just have to go off by myself.
yes...v.v

12. I am conscientious.
Yes.

13. I startle easily.
Sometimes, but that's rare, so no

these are tricky because there's days when I'm laid back and days when I'm not >_< so answer is
hmm..
not really
because I know I'm going to get it done.

15. When people are uncomfortable in a physical environment I tend to know what needs to be done to make it more comfortable (like changing the lighting or the seating).
I try to know xD
yes I guess

yes...........-___-

I do xD

no xD

19. I become unpleasantly aroused when a lot is going on around me.
I don't get unpleasantly aroused around anything xD

20. Being very hungry creates a strong reaction in me,disrupting my concentration or mood.
yes xD
I get upset and angry when I'm hungry
xD

not so much anymore

I do :3

I do

24. I make it a high priority to arrange my life to avoid upsetting or overwhelming situations.
Yep

Nope

26. When I must compete or be observed while performing a task, I become so nervous or shaky that I do much worse than I would otherwise.
Nope

27. When I was a child, my parents or teachers seemed to see me as sensitive or shy.
Yep

Her yes' 15
Her noes 12

Hey brother christian, with your high and mighty errand, your actions speak so loud, I can't hear a word you're saying.

"This machine kills fascists..."

"Well this machine kills commies!"
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-07-2011, 10:40 PM
(12-07-2011 08:02 PM)Zach Wrote:  I can't stand questions like this, I feel like I'm guessing on how best to interpret each of them Tongue

Yes: 13
Good thinking...
thats why I keep the results behind...

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
13-07-2011, 06:17 AM

1. No
2. Yes
3. No
4. No
5. No
6. No
7. No
8. No
9. No
10. No
11. No
12. Yes
13. No
14. No
15. Yes
16. No
17. Yes
18. Yes
19. No
20. No
21. No
22. No
23. No
24. No
25. No
26. No
27. Yes

I only have 6 Yes.
Quote this message in a reply
13-07-2011, 06:47 AM
No, I am able to take in many things at the same time and always willing to have more. Unless my chronic migraine is spiking.

Yes, I pay a lot of attention to my environment.

Yes, it's always been that way. I have trouble keeping my mood separate from those I talk with so having them be in a good mood ensures I will be too.

No. I have a chronic migraine so I'm very used to pain.

No, I actually want to be with someone and enjoy their company on the shitty days.

No, it really doesn't change much as a kid I used it to spread out the pain from my chronic migraines.

Yes, I have very strong senses and easily become affected by things like chemical smells, also notes that are out of tune >.>

No. While I do think to myself a lot and have many personal views my life exists externally so I would not say yes to this.

No? Loud abrupt noises bother me, but if I'm expecting it or it's going on a long time I don't really care.

Yes. I feel that through people's creations I can see a bit of how they view the world.

Yes. Sometimes I get overwhelmed and fall victim to phobias such as claustrophobia when I'm in an enclosed place with lots of people. I actually start to hyperventilate, but it only happens occasionally usually I do fine.

12. I am conscientious.
Yes. I would think most of us put a lot of thought into our actions since we're in such a polite and interesting forum.

13. I startle easily.
Yes. I'm very aware of my surroundings so when something startling happens i notice it in a big way.

No. I'm very good at doing many things with pressed time, though I hate when people tell me I need to speed up on something.

Yes. As I said earlier I want everyone to be happy to ensure that I can stay happy as well.

No. I really like doing things for others, because I'm not really motivated to do much for myself.

No. I actually make sure to just live the moment and enjoy my mistakes greatly.

No. Why would I do that?

19. become unpleasantly aroused when a lot is going on around me.
No. My lower half is no longer controlled by testosterone =p

No. That doesn't mean I don't want to eat but I can still function quite well.

No. I really like changes and generally accept them readily. being fired shook me up, but more often than not I am quite well accustomed to them.

Yes. Being hypersensitive to things around me and interested in the viewpoints of others I pay a lot of attention to the little things.

No. My brain always has a lot going on at once so there's little choice.

Yes. Stress almost killed me while going to public school, so it is very important that I not get too stressed.

Yes. I don't really want to say yes to this question but I think that should be my answer.

No. I love being watched =p and while I do get really nervous and shaky every time I enjoy it and do better for being watched.

Yes. Growing up as a boy I had no interest in anything to do with the world that rejected my being a girl. I also as a child who disagreed with christianity saw christians everywhere 0_0

Yes: 12
No: 15

We'll see what this is about, I tend to do kind of badly on these types of tests since I'm a perceptive person and do not view a harsh strict reality even within words and ideas.

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
13-07-2011, 10:00 AM
1. Yes, especially to sound or light.
2. Sometimes?
3. Yes
4. No
5. Yes
6. Depends on my last dosage.
7. Yes
8. No
9. Yes
10. Sometimes
11. Yes, sometimes spasms while doing stuff.
12. Yes
13. Yes
14. Yes, but getting used to the workload.
15. No
16. YES
17. Yes
18. Yes
19. O_O
20. No
21. Yes
22. Sometimes
23. Yes
24. Yes
25. Yes
26. No, it motivates me to do better.
27. No

Is it me or are some questions repeated in a different phrasing?

Welcome to science. You're gonna like it here - Phil Plait

Have you ever tried taking a comfort blanket away from a small child? - DLJ
13-07-2011, 01:13 PM (This post was last modified: 13-07-2011 01:24 PM by Observer.)
@ UTM Nice of SignificantOtherLaura to join us. Smile

The result!
There are Highly Sensitive Persons among us! People with the ability to absorb more out of a situation then an average person.

If you answered 13 times or more "YES" to the above questions you are an highly sensitive person or HSP to a certain extend. (Yours truly scored 15)

In 1996 Prof Dr. Elaine Aron launched the concept of the HSP into the scientific world. These persons seem to be more aware of their environment then average. Dr. Aron (an HSP herself) started psychological interviews in 1991 and after 5 years of research she concluded that about 15 to 20% of the world population must be an HSP. This is what she says about HSP herself.
Quote:
  • Your trait is normal. It is found in 15 to 20% of the population--too many to be a disorder, but not enough to be well understood by the majority of those around you.
  • It is innate. In fact, biologists have found it to be in most or all animals, from fruit flies and fish to dogs, cats, horses, and primates. This trait reflects a certain type of survival strategy, being observant before acting. The brains of highly sensitive persons (HSPs) actually work a little differently than others'.
  • You are more aware than others of subtleties. This is mainly because your brain processes information and reflects on it more deeply. So even if you wear glasses, for example, you see more than others by noticing more.
  • You are also more easily overwhelmed. If you notice everything, you are naturally going to be overstimulated when things are too intense, complex, chaotic, or novel for a long time.
  • This trait is not a new discovery, but it has been misunderstood. Because HSPs prefer to look before entering new situations, they are often called "shy." But shyness is learned, not innate. In fact, 30% of HSPs are extraverts, although the trait is often mislabeled as introversion. It has also been called inhibitedness, fearfulness, or neuroticism. Some HSPs behave in these ways, but it is not innate to do so and not the basic trait.
  • Sensitivity is valued differently in different cultures. In cultures where it is not valued, HSPs tend to have low self-esteem. They are told "don't be so sensitive" so that they feel abnormal.

More information -along with the same test as above- about HSP can be found on the site www.hsperson.com

Evolutionary, the HS trait is thought to be a remnant of individuals who where the herd's lookout. The HSP seem to stem from those individuals. In todays ever more competitive and buzzy 24h society, HSP can be a serious burden. However, in the same sense like you don't refer to a beautiful blond person solely as someone who is more likely to get sunburn and skin-cancer, an HSP should not be referred to as someone who is more sensitive for over-stimulation and burn-out. The "think before you act" attitude and eminent empathy most (not all) HSP's can make them a big added value to society. Many became successful scientist, artist or educator. But people with real high sensitivity could be needing some coaching. Especially children. This is one of the reasons I want you all to be aware of this type of person.

as for this test being made redundant by me on this site...
I'm not the person to just go and believe everything I'm told Tongue. I tried and set up a blind test here since I thought the one on the site is rather biased, KNOWING that people who are on the site are more likely to answer yes in the first place.

Looks like we are above the 15/20% on this site, but that is to be expected in such a small sample group. HSP's also seem to be more philosophical: It could be that they are attracted to this site (At least I am one of those people)

Now I am going to turn of that dimmed lamp next to me cos the buzzing of the dimmer is driving me crazy. Confused

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
29-07-2011, 04:30 AM
I am a bit disappointed since I thought the discussion would continue after the results where in.

I guess that'll teach me to expect things. Shy

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
29-07-2011, 05:21 PM
Here's a suggestion. How about carrying out this survey on other sites you know of?
My hypothesis: Religious sites will have a higher percentage of people having HSP.
Let's do sampling to find a correlation Big Grin

Welcome to science. You're gonna like it here - Phil Plait

Have you ever tried taking a comfort blanket away from a small child? - DLJ
29-07-2011, 07:41 PM
Do not be dissapoint.
This is interesting, and even though I accidentally answered without having actually done the test (sorry) I am sure I would also have come under the HSP tag. I know I am sensitive, to everything like a baby.
Sometimes I wish I wasn't but for the most part I just wish everybody else was because I'm a jerk like that.
I have found that I spell very poorly when typing but not when using a pen. It bothers the hell out of me, I hate seeing red underlines. I correct them all whenever they appear. I also type hte a lot. I hate that too. I think part of being HSP is being OCD as well.
I would think that the majority of people on this site would qualify for his label much as I do, because I think being aware is necessary for someone to reject religion. Thus I am willing to bet that if you were to post this test all spy like, the results might differ.
So what I am saying is do it. DO IT.
Right now I'm looking at the hte and wanting to fix it.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-09-2011, 06:41 AM

Got 20 yes, so apparently I'm HSP. I've never heard of this before but it's very interesting, and it would explain a lot to me. I'm indeed very sensitive, have a very hard time coping with noisy environments and lots of people, I need peace and silence to not feel stressed. I don't stay away from violent movies and such in general, but there are types of violence that I just can't stand (especially if it involves children).
And yes, I answered the questions before I read the post about HSP.
Quote this message in a reply