A petition to end military discrimination against the non-religious

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-09-2012, 01:15 AM
RE: A petition to end military discrimination against the non-religious
(21-09-2012 12:19 AM)SharkByte Wrote:  I only read the original post so my apologies if this has already been said. I've been in the Air Force for almost 15 years. I couldn't even begin to count how many ceremonies and gatherings I've been to where the Chaplain opened the event with a prayer but I have never once felt like I was obligated to pray. I simply fold my hands in front of me, bow my head and show a little respect for the people who do want to pray. Regardless of how ridiculous I think their beliefs are, they have as much right to them as I do mine.

As far as pushing the spiritual fitness thing goes, I went through a tough time a few years back. Someone suggested that I go talk to the chaplain and I did. He asked me what religion I was, I told him Atheist and he took an appropriate tact towards counseling me. He never once suggested prayer or god, he simply helped me work through my issue. Spiritual fitness doesn't mean you have to believe in god. It just means they want you to believe in something and have an idea of what that thing is. If what you believe in is personal responsibility and that you only get one chance at life so you better make the most of it then that's spiritual fitness in my book.

CLIFFS:
- I've been in the Air Force 15 years.
- I've never felt like religion was forced on me
- They want you to be mentally fit as well as physically fit.
- They let me put Atheist on my dog tags

Just out of curiosity, why not the standard "NORELPREF"? I guess that could fit Atheist, or Agnostic, and a few other things...I'm not bashing you, just curious. Perhaps you didn't even give it much thought, but the standard, at least for the Navy, and Army is NORELPREF. I would assume it would be the same for the Air Force and Marine Corps.

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-09-2012, 01:20 AM
(21-09-2012 01:15 AM)Dark Light Wrote:  
(21-09-2012 12:19 AM)SharkByte Wrote:  I only read the original post so my apologies if this has already been said. I've been in the Air Force for almost 15 years. I couldn't even begin to count how many ceremonies and gatherings I've been to where the Chaplain opened the event with a prayer but I have never once felt like I was obligated to pray. I simply fold my hands in front of me, bow my head and show a little respect for the people who do want to pray. Regardless of how ridiculous I think their beliefs are, they have as much right to them as I do mine.

As far as pushing the spiritual fitness thing goes, I went through a tough time a few years back. Someone suggested that I go talk to the chaplain and I did. He asked me what religion I was, I told him Atheist and he took an appropriate tact towards counseling me. He never once suggested prayer or god, he simply helped me work through my issue. Spiritual fitness doesn't mean you have to believe in god. It just means they want you to believe in something and have an idea of what that thing is. If what you believe in is personal responsibility and that you only get one chance at life so you better make the most of it then that's spiritual fitness in my book.

CLIFFS:
- I've been in the Air Force 15 years.
- I've never felt like religion was forced on me
- They want you to be mentally fit as well as physically fit.
- They let me put Atheist on my dog tags

Just out of curiosity, why not the standard "NORELPREF"? I guess that could fit Atheist, or Agnostic, and a few other things...I'm not bashing you, just curious. Perhaps you didn't even give it much thought, but the standard, at least for the Navy, and Army is NORELPREF. I would assume it would be the same for the Air Force and Marine Corps.

Probably because he has a preference, "None".

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
21-09-2012, 12:26 PM
(21-09-2012 01:15 AM)Dark Light Wrote:  Just out of curiosity, why not the standard "NORELPREF"? I guess that could fit Atheist, or Agnostic, and a few other things...I'm not bashing you, just curious. Perhaps you didn't even give it much thought, but the standard, at least for the Navy, and Army is NORELPREF. I would assume it would be the same for the Air Force and Marine Corps.

Back in my day it was just NOPREF and it was the only areligious label available to me. When they were asking me what to put I asked them "Why? This place don't discriminate." "So we know how to properly respect your corpse and what to put on your tombstone." The fuck I got myself into here, my 18 yo version thought. Blink

This is not my signature.
Find all posts by this user