A philosophical proposal

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-07-2015, 04:58 PM
RE: A philosophical proposal
(11-07-2015 04:47 PM)pablo Wrote:  What about environment?

Sounds intriguing, in what sense?

"I love the term magic realism. It's about expanding how you see the world. I think we live in an age where we're just hammered to think this is what the world is. Everything's saying 'That's the world.' And it's not the world. The world is a million possible things." - TG

Salman Rushdie talks to Terry Gilliam
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-07-2015, 05:24 PM
(11-07-2015 04:58 PM)ArchibaldFunkdust Wrote:  
(11-07-2015 04:47 PM)pablo Wrote:  What about environment?

Sounds intriguing, in what sense?

Doesn't environment at least in some way impact biology/chemistry?
11-07-2015, 05:34 PM
(11-07-2015 04:41 PM)ArchibaldFunkdust Wrote:  
(11-07-2015 10:27 AM)ClydeLee Wrote:  What is this value in the value we create because of biological self?

Why did it form this way and not in some other way? Are there other beings who actual have the makeup of feeling this way?

It doesn't eliminate or answer the range of various philosophical questions.

Semantic philosophy is an examination of the meaning of abstracts, illuminating the human ability to manipulate abstract concepts (and ultimately strategies), a highly prized ability in the tribe.

More often than not the extension is not in the answer we seek but in the asking of the question and the debate that follows, even more successful is the witty (or sometimes not so witty) punctuation of that debate by contributors looking for a quick-witty win among other tribe members. This is just as valid a strategy and no less an extension of our biology.

Archi

Of course philosophical is based on biological and needs and bases... but that doesn't answer the actual questions, that answers why you have the questions.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 1 user Likes ClydeLee's post
11-07-2015, 05:54 PM
(11-07-2015 06:13 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(11-07-2015 06:07 AM)ArchibaldFunkdust Wrote:  ...
All human constructs are extensions of our biology.

Nope.

All human constructs are extensions of our chemistry.

Big Grin

OK memes from chemistry, but this does not negate possibilities out there intuitively non cognitive via science and logic............Consider
12-07-2015, 09:01 AM
(11-07-2015 04:31 PM)ArchibaldFunkdust Wrote:  
(11-07-2015 08:17 AM)Matt Finney Wrote:  1. Even if it is the case that all human constructs are extensions of our biology, I don't see how that can answer all philosophical questions. Can you elaborate on this?

2. Don't some philosophical questions have to do with non-human constructs?

1. Whatever it is we seek to demonstrate/provide for in the exercising of these constructs is ultimately a strategy that is in some way intended to deliver upon a base biological need, either directly or indirectly (as a secondary or tertiary strategy).

2. Yes they do but we need to examine and understand who is asking the question, and more importantly (as above), why they are asking it.

Archi

Well let's test it and see if it works. Which philosophical question do we want to tackle first?
13-07-2015, 08:29 AM
(11-07-2015 05:34 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  
(11-07-2015 04:41 PM)ArchibaldFunkdust Wrote:  Semantic philosophy is an examination of the meaning of abstracts, illuminating the human ability to manipulate abstract concepts (and ultimately strategies), a highly prized ability in the tribe.

More often than not the extension is not in the answer we seek but in the asking of the question and the debate that follows, even more successful is the witty (or sometimes not so witty) punctuation of that debate by contributors looking for a quick-witty win among other tribe members. This is just as valid a strategy and no less an extension of our biology.

Archi

Of course philosophical is based on biological and needs and bases... but that doesn't answer the actual questions, that answers why you have the questions.

I can't give individual answers to all philosophical questions. You'll have to examine that yourself.

Archi

"I love the term magic realism. It's about expanding how you see the world. I think we live in an age where we're just hammered to think this is what the world is. Everything's saying 'That's the world.' And it's not the world. The world is a million possible things." - TG

13-07-2015, 08:30 AM
(12-07-2015 09:01 AM)Matt Finney Wrote:  
(11-07-2015 04:31 PM)ArchibaldFunkdust Wrote:  1. Whatever it is we seek to demonstrate/provide for in the exercising of these constructs is ultimately a strategy that is in some way intended to deliver upon a base biological need, either directly or indirectly (as a secondary or tertiary strategy).

2. Yes they do but we need to examine and understand who is asking the question, and more importantly (as above), why they are asking it.

Archi

Well let's test it and see if it works. Which philosophical question do we want to tackle first?

Do I exist?

13-07-2015, 11:18 AM
(13-07-2015 08:30 AM)ArchibaldFunkdust Wrote:  
(12-07-2015 09:01 AM)Matt Finney Wrote:  Well let's test it and see if it works. Which philosophical question do we want to tackle first?

Do I exist?

Probably.

And I say that with relative uncertainty.

Unsure

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
15-07-2015, 07:46 AM
What are you saying here other than "Humans do what they do because they are Human"

Shovels dig because of their physics, that doesn't really tell me anything new about shovels though.

"A witty quote means nothing"
[+] 1 user Likes tear151's post
21-07-2015, 04:29 PM
(15-07-2015 07:46 AM)tear151 Wrote:  What are you saying here other than "Humans do what they do because they are Human"

Shovels dig because of their physics, that doesn't really tell me anything new about shovels though.

I don't think philosophy tells us anything new about being human. That's no argument.

Archi