A philosophy professor responds to Marco Rubio

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-11-2015, 09:26 AM
RE: A philosophy professor responds to Marco Rubio
(12-11-2015 10:46 PM)DLJ Wrote:  
(12-11-2015 09:45 PM)Alla Wrote:  ...
You judge my English. You are Moron. Only Morons do this.

You are a moron.

Oh! Oops.

Blush
yes, thank you for helping me. julep is a Moron. But I insist on capital "M"
I am happy when people help me in learning English. Smile

English is my second language.
I AM DEPLORABLE AND IRREDEEMABLE
SHE PERSISTED WE RESISTED
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
13-11-2015, 09:43 AM
(12-11-2015 10:36 PM)BryanS Wrote:  Sen. Rubio also did not comment on the intrinsic value of the field of philosophy.

No, not explicitly, but it's pretty clear he intended to.

What do you think his point was? I think his point was we need fewer people with the capacity to question and more to just shut up and fall into order.

The U.S. does not have a shortage of welders. What we have is a shortage of employment opportunities for welders to be gainfully employed. And, I'm pretty confident Rubio knows this.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
13-11-2015, 09:51 AM
(12-11-2015 09:20 PM)Alla Wrote:  
(12-11-2015 09:14 PM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  Thanks for at least admitting you pulled that out of your ass.
No, I am not admitting this. You just pulled this claim out of your ass.
(12-11-2015 09:14 PM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  As a guy who put himself through college working as a welder, I can tell you that you and Marco are completely full of shit. Many, many of the welding jobs are now held by his Mexican compatriots. I know for a fact that large companies brought Mexican workers up to the US for several months so that the guys of the line could train their replacements. After few months, the Mexicans were sent back to Mexico and the US worker was now out of a job. I hold absolutely nothing against these guys and neither did many of the workers who knew their fate and were asked by management to basically train themselves out of a job. The Mexican guys just wanted the work to feed their families, kind of like their US counterparts. I knew many of them who had this experience and I also saw it firsthand. It happened so often it made me sick. You have no damn idea what you're talking about, as usual.
What Marco actually was saying is that we need more workers than philosophers.

Actually he said more workers and LESS philosophers. Note the distinction.

Saints live in flames; wise men, next to them.
13-11-2015, 10:57 AM
Philosophers are only as useful as the ideas they produce, just as welders are only as good as the beads they run. The assumption that philosophers are automatically beneficial to society ignores this obvious point.
13-11-2015, 12:28 PM
I don't think anyone is arguing that philosophers are automatically beneficial to society.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
[+] 1 user Likes BnW's post
13-11-2015, 12:32 PM
(13-11-2015 10:57 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  Philosophers are only as useful as the ideas they produce, just as welders are only as good as the beads they run. The assumption that philosophers are automatically beneficial to society ignores this obvious point.

Welders aren't automatically useful to society either. A welder's skills could work quite well against what many in societies may seek.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
13-11-2015, 01:07 PM
(13-11-2015 12:32 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  Welders aren't automatically useful to society either. A welder's skills could work quite well against what many in societies may seek.

I don't get this. How can a person who specializes in the joining of 2 pieces of metal using heat work against what many in society seek? Could you clarify?

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
13-11-2015, 01:12 PM
(12-11-2015 09:14 PM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  Many, many of the welding jobs are now held by his Mexican compatriots.

Quick correction: Rubio’s parents are Cuban.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
13-11-2015, 01:15 PM
(13-11-2015 01:07 PM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  
(13-11-2015 12:32 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  Welders aren't automatically useful to society either. A welder's skills could work quite well against what many in societies may seek.

I don't get this. How can a person who specializes in the joining of 2 pieces of metal using heat work against what many in society seek? Could you clarify?

Depends on what they're welding.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
13-11-2015, 01:40 PM
(12-11-2015 08:51 PM)julep Wrote:  
(12-11-2015 08:36 PM)Alla Wrote:  Professor:
A key part of my job is identifying and fighting the stupid wherever it is found.
Alla:
Very well, continue. But we still need more welders and less philosophers.

What evidence do you have that welders are in short supply?

And what evidence is there that welders in the US are keeping jobs, rather than these jobs being exported to lower cost shops outside of the US? At least university professors of philosophy are (presumably) holding positions that haven't been outsourced.

Your English ranges from decent to abysmal (IMO because you are a Poe). Please decide which persona you want to maintain here. If it's "English is my third language" Alla: grammatical English would specify that you write fewer, not less, philosophers. If you are a Poe, use your fucking grammar correctly, as it is already annoying enough to read your posts.

I suspect 'she' is more than one person. Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user