A piece of twisted reasoning

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-02-2012, 08:55 AM
Tongue A piece of twisted reasoning
Sure this is probably immature a way of thinking, but then I'm not completely serious here... just saying, lol.

Anyway, I work for a very Christian workplace. I'm actually the only one on staff who would admit at least silently that I'm just not sure about what god is or is not. Everyone I know from work is just sooooooo sure the Christian god is real. I've never even tried to explain that their idea of divine power is sort of a sadistic psychopath. Some things are just not worth bothering with. Anyways I say who cares what someone believes. If it makes them happy and it's not hurting anyone well then great.

The trouble is that I've been having issues at work, or more to the point a couple of coworkers have been having trouble with me. Basically it's just some major personality conflict gotten out of hand. Now I've got a shift supervisor who speaks in what I only see as mixed messages, telling me and everyone else that will listen that god made us all to be one of a kind and just how he wanted us, yet at the time saying I need to change myself and be different than I am. It occurred to me today that really by that sort of logic, it may not truly be our faults we behave and think as we do. After all, of course we would have free will but also have to work with what were were given. Certainly no one who fault the blind for being unable to see, or the mentally slow for never learning to read or even to converse very well in some cases. Using Christian logic that's the way they were made and it cannot be helped. Yet someone can be faulted for their dreams and goals and ambitions in life, "because the ambition is ridiculous?"

Haha, basically I've come to the conclusion that next time I or anyone else thinks the wrong way or tries something they are unsuited too, or dreams too big or aims too high, it certainly must be god's fault! I mean they say he made us as we are after all. Could I not reason that if he made me and chose all the basic things but me and everyone else, he also assigned our life's ambitions?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-02-2012, 04:09 PM
RE: A piece of twisted reasoning
I'm pretty sure that's Calvinism. Ask kingschosen about that.

I'm homophobic in the same way that I'm arachnophobic. I'm not scared of gay people but I'm going to scream if I find one in my bath.

I'm. Also homophobic in the same way I'm arachnophobic. I'm scared of spiders but I'd still fuck'em.
- my friend Marc
[+] 1 user Likes TarzanSmith's post
03-02-2012, 08:38 PM (This post was last modified: 03-02-2012 08:41 PM by Thomas.)
Tough situation to go into every day. I feel your pain.

I take this mental approach. If you were working with severely retarded children and they had fears like monsters in the closet (devil) and that certain types of food would kill them (pork), you wouldn't get upset at them. You would understand that they can't help it. You would have compassion and treat them with kindness, even when they call you names and spit their food on you.

I apply the same rule to the devout religious (exception is debates with qualified opponents). This way I never get emotional (pissed off) when they do their thing.

Hope this helps you cope.

The old gods are dead, let's invent some new ones before something really bad happens.
[+] 2 users Like Thomas's post
04-02-2012, 12:27 PM
I worked with this christian guy one time. We were in the break room and i said God Damn. He told me not to say that. He said he would lose respect for me for talking like that. I told him god was a fairytale, he was brainwashed, and I could care less if he was offended. Needless to say he didn't invite me to dinner with his familyBig Grin
[+] 1 user Likes satan69's post
04-02-2012, 02:08 PM
(04-02-2012 12:27 PM)satan69 Wrote:  I worked with this christian guy one time. We were in the break room and i said God Damn. He told me not to say that. He said he would lose respect for me for talking like that. I told him god was a fairytale, he was brainwashed, and I could care less if he was offended. Needless to say he didn't invite me to dinner with his familyBig Grin

Only in the world of christianity is ignorance is a point of view and blind faith a virtue.

The old gods are dead, let's invent some new ones before something really bad happens.
04-02-2012, 02:45 PM
(04-02-2012 12:27 PM)satan69 Wrote:  I worked with this christian guy one time. We were in the break room and i said God Damn. He told me not to say that. He said he would lose respect for me for talking like that. I told him god was a fairytale, he was brainwashed, and I could care less if he was offended. Needless to say he didn't invite me to dinner with his familyBig Grin

Wow - I'm surprised he didn't invite you to dinner!

He must not have been much of a Christ-y if he didn't want to sit you down at the table, make you politely sit through the saying of grace, and then proceed to preach to you endlessly, as you endured his subservient wife's flavorless meatloaf. Wink

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 2 users Like kim's post
04-02-2012, 05:17 PM
That's funny. The whole pray before eating thing cracks me up. 6 billion people in the world. Thats 18 billion times a day god hears prayers, if we all did it. W/O food everyone on earth would die, but this retard "god" wants us to thank him for needing food to live. Maybe he should have made the human body to not need food, and then millions of kids wouldn't starve at the hands of nasty dictators. This god was a horrible designer. He made babies that he knew would starve to death because of where they would be born, but made this guy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qp8KixxAk60 who will never starve to death because stupid people give him millions.
04-02-2012, 06:40 PM
(04-02-2012 05:17 PM)satan69 Wrote:  That's funny. ... this guy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qp8KixxAk60 who will never starve to death because stupid people give him millions.

Wow! - It's not the nose that gives today's Pinocchio away... it's the eyes. Rolleyes

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
05-02-2012, 12:56 AM
(04-02-2012 05:17 PM)satan69 Wrote:  That's funny. The whole pray before eating thing cracks me up. 6 billion people in the world. Thats 18 billion times a day god hears prayers, if we all did it. W/O food everyone on earth would die, but this retard "god" wants us to thank him for needing food to live. Maybe he should have made the human body to not need food, and then millions of kids wouldn't starve at the hands of nasty dictators. This god was a horrible designer. He made babies that he knew would starve to death because of where they would be born, but made this guy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qp8KixxAk60 who will never starve to death because stupid people give him millions.

That's one of the things that seriously pisses me off about religion. At my old Catholic school, they occasionally had us write prayers of thanksgiving to God about things like food and a house. I remember some of my teachers literally telling us how lucky and thankful we should be to live in a Western country and have enough money to send us to that school. What an absolutely self-centered and selfish thing to think. Millions, if not a billion, are frequently starving, not sure when their next meal is. Is "God" really that much of of prick that he chose you specifically to receive this food while other people starve? Did they do something to deserve this while you get all kinds of food? If not, then why are you thanking Him? What are you possibly being thankful for He didn't do anything?