A popular method of "debunking" the Bible that I still don't get

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-03-2015, 06:46 PM
RE: A popular method of "debunking" the Bible that I still don't get
(23-03-2015 06:35 PM)goodwithoutgod Wrote:  I always enjoy the exodus myth of the bible, where god had to send ten plagues against the all powerful pharoah in an attempt to convince him to let god's people go free....wait, isn't god all powerful? Couldnt he have just wiggled his magical virgin impregnating penis and POOF bye bye pharoah, nope apparently not, it took the tenth plague of all first born to die in order for the pharoah to submit and "allow" the slaves to go free, then they lined up 10 abreast and marched across a 119 mile desert 2 million strong for 40 years, they must have been stuck in a huge circle, but even if they were, imagine a line 10 wide by 2 million people, oh wait....there also exists ZERO evidence for this ever happening, I know, shocking right? Of course the front line would have made it to the promised land while the back of the line was still in Eygpt Laugh out load

ahhhh you just can't make this shit up...oh no wait...apparently you can Big Grin

Yeah, it's also funny when you look at the path they could have took, all you have to do is head towards the Mediterranean sea and take a right and follow the coast line, you'll wind up in the promised land in less than a month. Facepalm

God's an idiot, Moses is an idiot, every dolt that followed this group was an idiot.Laugh out load

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes TheInquisition's post
23-03-2015, 06:53 PM (This post was last modified: 23-03-2015 06:57 PM by cactus.)
I remember doing a "historical re-enactment" of the Promised Land journey in VBS (I know, I know, I embarrass myself even just by thinking about it now). It only took a couple of hours for us, and just like in the real story we got free oatmeal, so I'm not sure what the Israelites were complaining about for 40 damn years! Bunch of pansies Tongue
(though admittedly, we also got raisins and brown sugar. That may have detracted just ever-so-slightly from the authenticity of the experience)

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
[+] 1 user Likes cactus's post
24-03-2015, 04:49 AM
(23-03-2015 06:46 PM)TheInquisition Wrote:  
(23-03-2015 06:35 PM)goodwithoutgod Wrote:  I always enjoy the exodus myth of the bible, where god had to send ten plagues against the all powerful pharoah in an attempt to convince him to let god's people go free....wait, isn't god all powerful? Couldnt he have just wiggled his magical virgin impregnating penis and POOF bye bye pharoah, nope apparently not, it took the tenth plague of all first born to die in order for the pharoah to submit and "allow" the slaves to go free, then they lined up 10 abreast and marched across a 119 mile desert 2 million strong for 40 years, they must have been stuck in a huge circle, but even if they were, imagine a line 10 wide by 2 million people, oh wait....there also exists ZERO evidence for this ever happening, I know, shocking right? Of course the front line would have made it to the promised land while the back of the line was still in Eygpt Laugh out load

ahhhh you just can't make this shit up...oh no wait...apparently you can Big Grin

Yeah, it's also funny when you look at the path they could have took, all you have to do is head towards the Mediterranean sea and take a right and follow the coast line, you'll wind up in the promised land in less than a month. Facepalm

God's an idiot, Moses is an idiot, every dolt that followed this group was an idiot.Laugh out load

hehe and don't forget the building of the tent for conferences with god while burning sacrifices....wait...where did they get wood? it is a fucking desert...maybe the same magical non existent wood they used to build the ark Laugh out loadLaugh out loadLaugh out loadDrooling

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
[+] 1 user Likes goodwithoutgod's post
24-03-2015, 06:58 AM
(23-03-2015 06:46 PM)TheInquisition Wrote:  Yeah, it's also funny when you look at the path they could have took, all you have to do is head towards the Mediterranean sea and take a right and follow the coast line, you'll wind up in the promised land in less than a month. Facepalm

They "explain" that in Exodus 13-17: And it came to pass, when Pharaoh had let the people go, that God led them not [through] the way of the land of the Philistines, although that [was] near; for God said, Lest peradventure the people repent when they see war, and they return to Egypt:

Apparently the Philistines were in the way and the 600000 men with all their women, children, cattle, and stolen goods were too scared to go that way despite being led by a god who had just killed all the cattle in Egypt at least twice and then killed all firstborn Egyptians. Right.

The more I think about the story the more it sounds to me like some small family group may have stolen some jewelry and escaped from slavery and/or blights in Egypt and over time the story grew from that small group to the 2 million.

It's no wonder I preferred Greek mythology growing up; it at least is interesting. Hebrew mythology is just badly written with some really pathetic heroes.

Quote:God's an idiot, Moses is an idiot, every dolt that followed this group was an idiot.Laugh out load

Thumbsup

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 1 user Likes unfogged's post
24-03-2015, 12:39 PM
(23-03-2015 06:35 PM)goodwithoutgod Wrote:  I always enjoy the exodus myth of the bible, where god had to send ten plagues against the all powerful pharoah in an attempt to convince him to let god's people go free....wait, isn't god all powerful? <...snip...>

Oh, it's even worse than that. After each plague the Pharaoh said, Okay, enough, they can leave. And then God hardened Pharaoh's heart (!!!) and made him change his mind. God could have just lifted up the Israelites into the air and plunked them down in the Promised Land, but he got his rocks off by sending plagues against the Egyptians. It was God who didn't let the Israelites leave until he'd had his fill of sending plagues and murdering children.

Caveat: There is no God, and there never was an Exodus. But if we just read the story as a work of fiction, which it is, the character of God in this story is a fu@king psychopath.

"El mar se mide por olas,
el cielo por alas,
nosotros por lágrimas."
-- Jaime Sabines
[+] 2 users Like daniel1948's post