A psychological profile of a believer.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
03-08-2012, 08:06 AM
RE: A psychological profile of a believer.
(03-08-2012 01:57 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Interesting thoughts, fstrat0.

I'm wondering how to get my theist acquaintances to a position where they would listen to / read / understand this.

Much like the alcoholic who sees the world as the cause of their woes, and alcohol is the cure. The religious person does much the same thing, and embraces denial.

So I think it's unlikely that they'd read this and say, Aha I get it. Yet some may when they look at the radicals.

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like fstratzero's post
03-08-2012, 08:29 AM
(01-08-2012 03:47 PM)fstratzero Wrote:  The all or nothing, black and white thinking disappears, the emotional isolation fades, egocentricity dies, we learn to work together, and learn from each other.

From my own experience, this one paragraph is the only thing you've said that I take slight issue with. Eight years after I started leaving my faith, I'm still very much experiencing these things. I suppose they are fading by slight degrees, but over all these points are very much with me and remain strong influences upon my psyche. Knowing the cause does not simply make me better. Perhaps the longer one is steeped in religion, the more powerful the effects. Perhaps one born into religion is more deeply ingrained and the negative effects don't simply fade away. I guess what I'm saying is, you're right about the cause and effects, but perhaps too simplistic in saying the effects go away with deconversion.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
[+] 2 users Like Erxomai's post
03-08-2012, 09:41 AM
(03-08-2012 08:29 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  
(01-08-2012 03:47 PM)fstratzero Wrote:  The all or nothing, black and white thinking disappears, the emotional isolation fades, egocentricity dies, we learn to work together, and learn from each other.

From my own experience, this one paragraph is the only thing you've said that I take slight issue with. Eight years after I started leaving my faith, I'm still very much experiencing these things. I suppose they are fading by slight degrees, but over all these points are very much with me and remain strong influences upon my psyche. Knowing the cause does not simply make me better. Perhaps the longer one is steeped in religion, the more powerful the effects. Perhaps one born into religion is more deeply ingrained and the negative effects don't simply fade away. I guess what I'm saying is, you're right about the cause and effects, but perhaps too simplistic in saying the effects go away with deconversion.

Maybe I was too hasty with that. I'm not sure what to say other than I was thinking about creating a sister thread to this. Showing that the things religion offers can be found with out religion.

Perhaps I could also include bits to help with recovery as well.

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
[+] 2 users Like fstratzero's post
03-08-2012, 11:03 AM
(03-08-2012 09:41 AM)fstratzero Wrote:  I was thinking about creating a sister thread to this. Showing that the things religion offers can be found with out religion.

I'd like to see both of these.
Get to work! Drinking Beverage

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
03-08-2012, 04:56 PM
(03-08-2012 11:03 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  
(03-08-2012 09:41 AM)fstratzero Wrote:  I was thinking about creating a sister thread to this. Showing that the things religion offers can be found with out religion.

I'd like to see both of these.

All that is required is to accept the Lord Jesus Hoffman as your personal lord and savior, Hellbound. He didn't so much die for your sins as discover a mechanism for putting them in proper perspective. Big Grin

I am us and we is me. ... bitches.
05-08-2012, 10:56 AM (This post was last modified: 05-08-2012 11:01 AM by fstratzero.)
(03-08-2012 04:56 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(03-08-2012 11:03 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  I'd like to see both of these.

All that is required is to accept the Lord Jesus Hoffman as your personal lord and savior, Hellbound. He didn't so much die for your sins as discover a mechanism for putting them in proper perspective. Big Grin

Hahahaha

Yes. It's quite insane to have one system of dealing with things, that's soo simple. For human beings who are quite complex.

Who's range of emotions cannot be accounted for by one coping mechanism.

-Baron d'Holbach-
05-08-2012, 11:02 AM
(05-08-2012 10:56 AM)fstratzero Wrote:  
(03-08-2012 04:56 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  All that is required is to accept the Lord Jesus Hoffman as your personal lord and savior, Hellbound. He didn't so much die for your sins as discover a mechanism for putting them in proper perspective. Big Grin

Hahahaha

Yes. It's quite insane to have one system of dealing with things, that's soo simple. For human beings who are quite complex.

I disagree that it is another reality. It's a chemically altered perception of reality, but it's still the same reality. Nothing new to see here, folks. Just a different perspective on reality, that's all. Thumbsup

[+] 2 users Like Erxomai's post
05-08-2012, 12:19 PM
(05-08-2012 11:02 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  
(05-08-2012 10:56 AM)fstratzero Wrote:  Hahahaha

I disagree that it is another reality. It's a chemically altered perception of reality, but it's still the same reality. Nothing new to see here, folks. Just a different perspective on reality, that's all. Thumbsup

When the drug no longer affects you, what reality to you return to?

-Baron d'Holbach-
07-08-2012, 11:11 AM
I was reading prayer requests on a christian forum. It seems to me the desperation expressed there is immense.

-Baron d'Holbach-
07-08-2012, 11:29 AM
(07-08-2012 11:11 AM)fstratzero Wrote:  I was reading prayer requests on a christian forum. It seems to me the desperation expressed there is immense.

Yes.

There are lots of frivolous prayers to mock, like praying to find lost keys or a parking spot near the door. But when you go deeper...desperation is a good description. We laugh at a lot of the efforts of Believers, but there truly is a lot of pain that gets expressed along with the hope that The Deity will intervene.
Imagine being in that place without the personal skills to realize the answer lies within, not from an external locus of control. It's a pity, really. I'm still on the journey to remove myself from wishful thinking. Not that I ever pray, but there are still times when I get stuck wishing hope will come from some sort of outside source. Instead of finding internal resources, I'll slip into despair because no help is on the way, not yet having fully learned I can take care of myself completely. Interesting for me to contemplate for a bit. Consider

[+] 3 users Like Erxomai's post