A psychological profile of a believer.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
07-08-2012, 07:06 PM (This post was last modified: 07-08-2012 07:20 PM by Mr Woof.)
RE: A psychological profile of a believer.
(07-08-2012 11:11 AM)fstratzero Wrote:  I was reading prayer requests on a christian forum. It seems to me the desperation expressed there is immense.

I cannot see how some Christians value death as a source of motivation in in order to follow their faith. The criteria expressed in their literature is hardly conducive to thinking one will make it anyway, whatever "it" turns out to be. Some religious people may simply hold a sense of awe relevant to what they perceive of all facets of life and the mysteries inherent in the Universe.

As the N.T. comes across quite heavily on eternal torture, for errors in one life span, those not fearing 'the judgement'' would seem to hold very high opinions of themselves or, as some do, feel that by simply accepting Jesus as their personal saviour, irrespective of their behaviour, they will beat the big bonfire and associated sufferings.
It would seem more logical for believers to fear their religion than find solace in it.

It would suggest that some seemingly religious folk utilize their church environment to pursue some altruistic activities, while, perhaps looking at life in general with a degree of awe. As for the fundies, whose views can be extremely dangerous, their simplistic attitude can be laughable and in no way deep from any higher thinking perspective.

In yet another sense the ulta hard line atheist evolutionist claiming that this life is all there is, and seeing death as a peaceful extinction/ escape could just possibly come to a rude awakening......Consider
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Mr Woof's post
07-08-2012, 08:40 PM (This post was last modified: 07-08-2012 08:54 PM by fstratzero.)
RE: A psychological profile of a believer.
(07-08-2012 07:06 PM)Mr Woof Wrote:  
(07-08-2012 11:11 AM)fstratzero Wrote:  I was reading prayer requests on a christian forum. It seems to me the desperation expressed there is immense.

I cannot see how some Christians value death as a source of motivation in in order to follow their faith. The criteria expressed in their literature is hardly conducive to thinking one will make it anyway, whatever "it" turns out to be. Some religious people may simply hold a sense of awe relevant to what they perceive of all facets of life and the mysteries inherent in the Universe.

As the N.T. comes across quite heavily on eternal torture, for errors in one life span, those not fearing 'the judgement'' would seem to hold very high opinions of themselves or, as some do, feel that by simply accepting Jesus as their personal saviour, irrespective of their behaviour, they will beat the big bonfire and associated sufferings.
It would seem more logical for believers to fear their religion than find solace in it.

It would suggest that some seemingly religious folk utilize their church environment to pursue some altruistic activities, while, perhaps looking at life in general with a degree of awe. As for the fundies, whose views can be extremely dangerous, their simplistic attitude can be laughable and in no way deep from any higher thinking perspective.

In yet another sense the ulta hard line atheist evolutionist claiming that this life is all there is, and seeing death as a peaceful extinction/ escape could just possibly come to a rude awakening......Consider

I'd agree some of them do some altruistic things. Most of them just pray however.

This is speculation, but it seems the more pious one is, the more they are trying to insure their places in heaven.

The stress involved with facing god, and not knowing his choice for them, seems to have a positive correlation with religious people taking every possible option to live a bit longer. Even as death insurance, the idea of hell makes death that much more stressful and frightening.

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply