A question I have...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-02-2012, 07:19 AM
A question I have...
I have a question the I really hope can be answered through this forum. The question is, is it safe to say, "I am never going back to religion"? Does it make u sound close minding?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Luke_Atheist's post
02-02-2012, 08:44 AM
RE: A question I have...
To say that you're never going back to religion implies that you have already experienced it before. So no, to me it just says you're done with that aspect of your life.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like lucradis's post
02-02-2012, 09:13 AM
The only way I would ever think about it is if there is evidence of a god. Even then, if there was, would it match any definition of religion we have?

What is god?
Would god be something we can even physically define?
If there is a god why hasn't he intervened since the beginning of our universe (or at least shown proof of such)?

So without that, I choose to say.... no.
02-02-2012, 09:31 AM
Dealing in absolutes is close-minded.

Saying "never" or "always" is an absolute that festers stagnation.

Honestly, from a logical sense, "always" and "never" are false... as something can never be "never" or always be "always".

ex
Rocks will never be alive.

This is a false statement because we do not know what the future holds for us. Science could find a way to produce silicon-based life; thus giving rocks life.

Don't deal in absolutes. You can say that you feel like you won't ever return to religion for the rest of your life; but, this isn't an absolute. It's a strong statement, but it isn't closed.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
[+] 3 users Like kingschosen's post
02-02-2012, 03:59 PM
Can't believe I'm saying this (really, I can't :dodgySmile but I'm gonna agree with the theist here.

I think it is kinda close minded. A fairer statement would be 'On the current evidence I'm never going back to religion' or something along those lines.

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
[+] 3 users Like Hughsie's post
03-02-2012, 04:30 AM
I think I agree with Logisch here. If evidence did present itself, the supernatural would become the natural. If god became real, it would not be a matter of religion to accept his existence, but rather, it would be a scientific fact.

Also, I wouldn't worry too much. You can always retract it later. It's not a crime to say something and change your mind about it later.

"But the point is, find somebody to love. Everything else is overrated." - HouseofCantor
03-02-2012, 08:53 PM
(02-02-2012 07:19 AM)Luke_Atheist Wrote:  I have a question the I really hope can be answered through this forum. The question is, is it safe to say, "I am never going back to religion"? Does it make u sound close minding?
No it only makes you smarter. Going against ignorance is the most positive thing someone can do in their life. Please if you haven't visited this website I'd advise you to do so. http://www.godisimaginary.com
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-02-2012, 03:56 PM
(03-02-2012 08:53 PM)cheezeball420 Wrote:  
(02-02-2012 07:19 AM)Luke_Atheist Wrote:  I have a question the I really hope can be answered through this forum. The question is, is it safe to say, "I am never going back to religion"? Does it make u sound close minding?
No it only makes you smarter. Going against ignorance is the most positive thing someone can do in their life. Please if you haven't visited this website I'd advise you to do so. http://www.godisimaginary.com

I just watched the videos on this site; they are a good watch. Thanks.
07-02-2012, 08:00 PM
Thanks everyone for your thoughts, i really appreciate them much.
07-02-2012, 08:37 PM
(02-02-2012 07:19 AM)Luke_Atheist Wrote:  I have a question the I really hope can be answered through this forum. The question is, is it safe to say, "I am never going back to religion"?

No, there's no guarantee you won't give into the temptation of creating your own.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.