A question about a certain finger position often used in anime and religious painting

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-12-2012, 08:28 AM (This post was last modified: 05-12-2012 08:46 AM by Erikjust.)
Video A question about a certain finger position often used in anime and religious painting
I often see it in anime and some christian paintings. When ever a character is about to either pray or use an invocation of some sort they raise their index and middle finger (and some times their thump too) while keeping the others clenched.

Is there a particular reason as to why they are doing such a thing? Has it some sort of special cultural or religious meaning if so what is it?

[Image: unavngivetir.png]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-12-2012, 04:46 PM
RE: A question about a certain finger position often used in anime and religious
These are separate hand positions. But they are a form of iconography - hand positions that resemble certain letters or symbols that stand for words or titles. The anime one is religious also I believe, stemming from Buddhism. I think a good deal of them are just made up, but it's calling back to the that origin.

Different hand positions to name or symbolize various spirits, or titles, etc.
07-12-2012, 05:41 AM
RE: A question about a certain finger position often used in anime and religious pain
Perhaps a variant of Karana Mudrā[1] in Buddhist circles or a sign of the cross in Christian circles[2].

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mudra#Karana_Mudr.C4.81
[2] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sign_of_the_Cross

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
07-12-2012, 06:30 AM (This post was last modified: 07-12-2012 07:42 AM by Janus.)
RE: question about certain finger position often used in anime and religious painting
(05-12-2012 08:28 AM)Erikjust Wrote:  I often see it in anime and some christian paintings. When ever a character is about to either pray or use an invocation of some sort they raise their index and middle finger (and some times their thump too) while keeping the others clenched.

Is there a particular reason as to why they are doing such a thing? Has it some sort of special cultural or religious meaning if so what is it?

[Image: unavngivetir.png]

It's not just in art. And it's not past history either. It is – in Xtianity – an anointing/blessing gesture. Every RC cleric who blesses the flock uses it. Starting with the Holy Twat's annual Urbi et Orbi, the blessing of the city (of Rome; i.o.w. pretty egocentric), and of the world (almost as an afterthought). It's a fixed part of the ritual of anointing/blessing. In seminaries wannabe priests get trained to apply it properly.

It is the Xtian priesthood's equivalent of a voodoo priest's sticking needles in effigies, or of a hypnotist's pendulum. It's part of the show. Of its song & dance. Of its smoke & mirrors.
07-12-2012, 07:45 AM
RE:
[Image: tumblr_li498qqKCf1qb6iei.gif]

Welcome to science. You're gonna like it here - Phil Plait

Have you ever tried taking a comfort blanket away from a small child? - DLJ

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Question for Ex-Believers Punk Pumpkin 27 529 26-07-2014 04:58 PM
Last Post: Thinkerbelle
  One question that completely refutes atheism diddo97 192 4,028 25-07-2014 07:16 AM
Last Post: RobbyPants
  Videos Of Religious Ignorance? WiltedFigTree 10 175 12-07-2014 02:06 PM
Last Post: goodwithoutgod
  Educational, unbiased religious info smileXsmileXsmile 11 246 10-07-2014 12:43 AM
Last Post: Hamsaka
Video Religious Nut (doesn't trust sunglasses) Raptor Jesus 10 196 03-07-2014 07:55 AM
Last Post: natachan
  Arguments to convince religious people Mozart Link 11 299 02-07-2014 02:22 AM
Last Post: JONES
  Celebrating Religious Based Holidays for celebratory not religious value worblewatch 15 210 28-06-2014 04:38 AM
Last Post: JONES