A question about that time of the month.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-05-2016, 08:51 AM
A question about that time of the month.
I am posting this because I need some opinions. I would prefer answers from someone with a medical background, but am open to responses from anyone that wants to chime in. First a bit of back story. I am 37 and my wife 30. My wife weighs in at about 350 and weighed about 420 when I met her about 7 years ago. As far as that time of the month, everything has been normal just very painful with bad cramps. We have been trying to have a baby for years now, although it was kind of half assed. If we were too tired after work, nothing happened. Last month we treated it like a chore that needed to be done. Even if tired. Well, her period lasted about 12 hours this month instead of the normal 3 to 4 days. She went to sleep one night and woke up to find a mess. Later that day she had less than average cramps and then it just stopped (4 days ago). We have done pregnancy tests and they were negative. Does anyone know what the odds are that maybe we were successful? Also, when do you think it might show up on a test? I don't want to get my hopes up and I don't really want to pay for a doctor visit unless there is a reason for it. I am posting this here, because nobody knows who I am.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-05-2016, 09:09 AM
RE: A question about that time of the month.
Her symptoms could be anything. Pregnancy tests are extremely accurate these days and they can tell you if you're pregnant within a couple of days from conception, so if it came out negative, she probably isn't pregnant.

There's no way to avoid doctor appointments if you want to have a baby. You need hundreds of tests and check ups and then more check ups and monitoring. That is, at least, if you want your baby and your wife to be healthy.

Having a baby is a serious matter that needs a lot of time, thought, planning and money. If you can't provide all that, maybe you should think about it a bit harder.

"Behind every great pirate, there is a great butt."
-Guybrush Threepwood-
[+] 1 user Likes undergroundp's post
16-05-2016, 09:31 AM
(16-05-2016 08:51 AM)Birdguy1979 Wrote:  I am posting this because I need some opinions. I would prefer answers from someone with a medical background, but am open to responses from anyone that wants to chime in. First a bit of back story. I am 37 and my wife 30. My wife weighs in at about 350 and weighed about 420 when I met her about 7 years ago. As far as that time of the month, everything has been normal just very painful with bad cramps. We have been trying to have a baby for years now, although it was kind of half assed. If we were too tired after work, nothing happened. Last month we treated it like a chore that needed to be done. Even if tired. Well, her period lasted about 12 hours this month instead of the normal 3 to 4 days. She went to sleep one night and woke up to find a mess. Later that day she had less than average cramps and then it just stopped (4 days ago). We have done pregnancy tests and they were negative. Does anyone know what the odds are that maybe we were successful? Also, when do you think it might show up on a test? I don't want to get my hopes up and I don't really want to pay for a doctor visit unless there is a reason for it. I am posting this here, because nobody knows who I am.

I'm not a medical professional, but when you're waiting to find out if you're pregnant, any advice can ease the anxiety. I've had a few of these anxious months, so I've done the research.

Unfortunately, I would suggest that your odds of pregnancy are very low. Some women who do conceive spot (a little) about 5 - 7 days after ovulating when the egg implants. Any other bleeding is abnormal if conception has occurred.

Any heavy bleeding, or any amount of bleeding that is bright red is a pretty solid indication that she's not pregnant.

A pregnancy test can be taken a minimum of 12 days after ovulation, ie: 2 days before her period was due. The accuracy of these tests improves as the days to by, but they're usually very accurate on or after her period due date.

There's always next month if it didn't work out this time. Hug
16-05-2016, 09:47 AM
(16-05-2016 09:09 AM)undergroundp Wrote:  Her symptoms could be anything. Pregnancy tests are extremely accurate these days and they can tell you if you're pregnant within a couple of days from conception, so if it came out negative, she probably isn't pregnant.

There's no way to avoid doctor appointments if you want to have a baby. You need hundreds of tests and check ups and then more check ups and monitoring. That is, at least, if you want your baby and your wife to be healthy.

Having a baby is a serious matter that needs a lot of time, thought, planning and money. If you can't provide all that, maybe you should think about it a bit harder.

I mean that if we go to the doctor and say that the tests were negative, we pay for the visit but they don't do a test. Been through that before.
16-05-2016, 09:53 AM
(16-05-2016 09:47 AM)Birdguy1979 Wrote:  I mean that if we go to the doctor and say that the tests were negative, we pay for the visit but they don't do a test. Been through that before.

You need to find a doctor you can trust, a doctor who will care. My sister is due in June and I've followed pretty much most of the process and many doctor visits. The doctor is awesome and he's become a friend of hers after all those years. Whenever something worried her, she'd simply call him and ask him if it's normal.

I know it's hard to find a doctor like that, but I think it's worth to at least try.

"Behind every great pirate, there is a great butt."
-Guybrush Threepwood-
17-05-2016, 04:39 PM
About period in bigger people:
Periods don't always last the same time. Especially in bigger people it can vary from super short to super long.
Now I am not a doctor but I am also bigger (not 420 though). What happens with me is that once I go off the pill, after a while I just won't get my period at all any more, because my hormones are going crazy. And between me getting off the pill and the period vanishing I will have periods that take a day and I will have periods that last 2 weeks. Both is not healthy as far as I know. So she should probably see a doctor if her period keeps coming in extremes.

About baby making:
Anyway what I did when I started thinking about baby making was going to a doctor, get the hormones tested and an ultrasound done. To check if I need to loose weight, take additional hormones, change my diet, if I am fit/healthy enough, etc. And that is what I would recommend to you and your significant other as well.
In general, what I have been told who made babies, a lot of couples tried for a long time but they only got pregnant when they stopped actively trying and the stress of trying was gone. So there you go: Chill

As for the pregnancy test.
So if I figure correctly, she was done with her period 5 days ago. Wait for another week. Do another test right in the morning after sleeping. The first pee shall go on the test to make sure. You should have a very accurate outcome then but if you did multiple pregnancy tests already and they all came out negative, don't get your hopes too high.

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)