A question for Christians and a question for atheist...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-02-2013, 02:05 PM
RE: A question for Christians and a question for atheist...
"Give me your strongest piece of evidence in support of the existence of a hell."

2.5 billion seconds total
1.67 billion seconds conscious

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-02-2013, 05:26 PM
"In order for your appeal to fear through an appeal to authority to actually compel me to change my beliefs, I first need proof that your deity exists. The whole notion of convincing me through an authority figure relies upon me considering the authority to be legitimate in the first place. Since you are not offering any proof, the only authority actually being presented to me is that of (assuming this appeal was brought up in an emotional outburst) an intrusive, confrontational, hysterical stranger shouting in my face, which in case you were not aware, I concede as little authority to as hypothetical sky-daddies."

[Image: giphy.gif]
[+] 3 users Like Tartarus Sauce's post
27-02-2013, 11:20 PM
[Image: Im-going-to-hell.jpg]

It's an oldie, but goodie... Tongue

[Image: GrumpyCat_01.gif]
[+] 3 users Like EvolutionKills's post
27-02-2013, 11:32 PM (This post was last modified: 28-02-2013 08:36 AM by Bucky Ball.)
(27-02-2013 08:16 AM)DeathsNotoriousAngel Wrote:  I'm sure many of us, including myself have been told that we are damned to spend an eternity in the suffering of the Christian Hell. So my question to you is...

How do you typically respond to this?

All require space and time, cumbustible material, and fire, which are, (of course), antithetical, (read : "utter nonsense"), to any "spritual" dimension.
Then I tell them to read Elaine Pagels, (Princeton) "The Origins of Satan", and if they STILL believe that shit after reading about where it actually came from, then I ask them if they knew that the Hebrews and even St. Paul did not believe in immortatility for everyone. If that doesn't work I suggest Psychiatry. After that I stop worrying about other people's delusions. There's no help if their mental health REQUIRES the crutches religion provides.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist
Isaiah 45:7 "I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things" (KJV)

[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
28-02-2013, 12:02 AM
(27-02-2013 08:16 AM)DeathsNotoriousAngel Wrote:  Question for atheist:

I'm sure many of us, including myself have been told that we are damned to spend an eternity in the suffering of the Christian Hell. So my question to you is...

How do you typically respond to this?

I myself tend to laugh. I mean the idea is as absurd as someone telling me that if I get out of bed, the boogie monster will get me. If I'm feeling particularly dickish that day, I might also add in something like "Good, I'll gladly take Hell over an eternity with Christians."

"What's Hell going to do? Scorch my not-skin?" This answer refers to the fact that once I am dead and decomposed, I wont have skin any more in which to house my now decomposed brain.

"What's what the worst Hell will do, burn my previously owned atoms?" Of course, I am sure you can already get the gist of this response, it is essentially a re-flavouring of the first.

"I'm an Australian, I'm used to hot weather and fire. I'll be right at home." This one, pretty much speaks for itself.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
28-02-2013, 01:02 AM (This post was last modified: 28-02-2013 03:34 AM by Vosur.)
Nobody has ever told me that I'm going to suffer in Hell for eternity AFK*. I have made that experience solely on the Internet - and those who do that kind of thing don't deserve a reply in the first place.

*I'm using "Away From Keyboard" as a substitute for "In Real Life".

[Image: IcJnQOT.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Vosur's post
28-02-2013, 02:48 AM
"Do you know that you're going to hell too? You are, according to about a billion Muslims, and about another billion Christians who hold different beliefs than you, so different that they are convinced you are doing it wrong and not saved and damned to hell just as surely as I am. Are you afraid when those 2 billion believers tell you that you're going to hell? No? Neither am I, whether it's them or you."

Something like that, I think. Though I've never said it to anyone in person because nobody I have met in person is such an idiot. People usually treat each other with respect and dignity when they're standing at arm's reach - nobody wants to get punched in the nose for being an ass hat. It's only on the internet where you find morons so starved for attention that they get it by being a virtual jerk, hiding in their own homes, anonymous, safe from that punch in the nose that they very much know they would get if they behaved like that in person.

"Whores perform the same function as priests, but far more thoroughly." - Robert A. Heinlein
[+] 2 users Like Aseptic Skeptic's post
28-02-2013, 02:51 AM
Atheist response: *points up in the air* There went that fuck i gave....
[+] 2 users Like DerekS's post
28-02-2013, 08:27 AM
(28-02-2013 01:02 AM)Vosur Wrote:  Nobody has ever told me that I'm going to suffer in Hell for eternity AFK*. I have made that experience solely on the Internet - and those who do that kind of thing don't deserve a reply in the first place.

*I'm using "Away From Keyboard" as a substitute for "In Real Life".

You'd be suprised how much more juvenile and bizarre religion is in the US than Europe. Maybe you get that. Unless you see for yourself what American Fundamentalism, (a unique and ignorant brand name) has done to religion in the US, it's hard to imagine.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist
Isaiah 45:7 "I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things" (KJV)

28-02-2013, 08:40 AM
My response would be something along the lines of a combination of Hitchens, Matt Dilahunty, and to bring up how much of an evil bastard god is.

Something like

"Heaven would be nothing more than a celestial North Korea, where you do nothing besides worship the dear leader all day. And how exactly would I be able to be happy doing that? Furthermore, how would I be able to be happy knowing about all the people in hell? Knowing what they would be going through would be punishment. And if I were unable to fell pain or sadness for them, then whatever it is that is in heaven, isn't me. Because I would be unable to remain apathetic to their plight. The only reason that I don't spend waking hours anguishing over all the poor souls in agony in hell, is because hell is a place that I do not seem likely to exist. But if it does, and your god sends people there (or made it for people to send themselves by being themselves), then your god is a fucking asshole. Hitler, Stalin, Mao, Pol Pot, Papa Doc and Baby Doc, and any and every other serial killer/mass murderer ever known to exist or ever exist, can't hold a flame to the evil of your god. And any of the aforementioned individuals, could repent and forgo any punishment, but someone like Bill Gates or Carl Sagan or Einstein or indeed any atheist philanthropist who did their best to help their fellow man, will burn and rot in hell. What a malevolent bastard your do is."

I should say that this is what I should like to say, but I would more likely then not just tell them "Well, that's awfully nice of him."

Evolve
[+] 1 user Likes TheBeardedDude's post