A question for atheists.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-06-2011, 10:32 AM
A question for atheists.
I am writing a book on how to approach the creation vs evolution controversy. The book will cover many of the misconceptions on both sides of the debate and hopefully straighten out some of the misunderstandings between atheists and Christians as well.

On part of my book, I wanted to discuss what some atheists believe. Aside from the fact that you all lack a belief in any sort of deity whatsoever, do you guys have any beliefs outside of what science theorizes so far? Do you believe that there are different dimensions or anything like that? Or do some of you choose to reject anything that you may consider supernatural all together?

"But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts: and [be] ready always to [give] an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear:" Peter 3:15

http://www.answersforhope.org
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-06-2011, 10:44 AM
RE: A question for atheists.
(04-06-2011 10:32 AM)Spectre Wrote:  I am writing a book on how to approach the creation vs evolution controversy. The book will cover many of the misconceptions on both sides of the debate and hopefully straighten out some of the misunderstandings between atheists and Christians as well.

On part of my book, I wanted to discuss what some atheists believe. Aside from the fact that you all lack a belief in any sort of deity whatsoever, do you guys have any beliefs outside of what science theorizes so far? Do you believe that there are different dimensions or anything like that? Or do some of you choose to reject anything that you may consider supernatural all together?

No offence but your book will be useless as there is no controversy. The prevalence of creationism is just religious zealots being damn arrogant.
Also, you can't really say what atheists believe as they only have one thing in common. It would be better to ask what rationalists believe.

"I refuse to prove that I exist," says God, "for proof denies faith, and without faith I am nothing". "But," says man, "the Babel fish is a dead giveaway, isn't it? It proves you exist and so therefore you don't. QED." "Oh dear," says God, "I hadn't thought of that," and promptly vanishes in a puff of logic.
-DA
04-06-2011, 10:55 AM
(04-06-2011 10:44 AM)oliethefolie Wrote:  
(04-06-2011 10:32 AM)Spectre Wrote:  I am writing a book on how to approach the creation vs evolution controversy. The book will cover many of the misconceptions on both sides of the debate and hopefully straighten out some of the misunderstandings between atheists and Christians as well.

No offence but your book will be useless as there is no controversy. The prevalence of creationism is just religious zealots being damn arrogant.
Also, you can't really say what atheists believe as they only have one thing in common. It would be better to ask what rationalists believe.
None taken, but your misconception will be covered as well. Big Grin

"But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts: and [be] ready always to [give] an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear:" Peter 3:15

04-06-2011, 11:48 AM (This post was last modified: 04-06-2011 11:54 AM by Buddy Christ.)
How can you write about the misconceptions when you aren't aware of them yourself?

Like olie said, the only people who think theres some epic Evolution vs Creationism battle going on are other creationists. Evolution is the accepted explanation in the scientific community, with 99% of scientists in agreement. Evolution is observable, demonstrable, and supported by biology. Creationism is a children's tale which is no more probable than the origin stories of the other religions. It's just as likely that Brahma made this world and soon Shiva will come along to destroy it and continue the cycle. None of the religious beliefs hold any more weight than the others. They are the Stork Theory in the scientific world of sexual reproduction.

And while not all atheists embrace or even comprehend science, we are generally bound by proof. There's no reason to believe in the supernatural because there's no proof leading us to do such. I mean if it's supernatural, then it is by definition outside of the natural world. And why should we entertain ideas of things that have no influence on our reality? We will never be able to do anything but speculate and philosophize, so what's the point?

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Buddy Christ's post
04-06-2011, 12:57 PM
Hi Spectre
If you want to know what I believe, click the question in my signature.

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
04-06-2011, 03:46 PM (This post was last modified: 04-06-2011 03:51 PM by Spectre.)
(04-06-2011 11:48 AM)Buddy Christ Wrote:  How can you write about the misconceptions when you aren't aware of them yourself?

Like olie said, the only people who think theres some epic Evolution vs Creationism battle going on are other creationists. Evolution is the accepted explanation in the scientific community, with 99% of scientists in agreement. Evolution is observable, demonstrable, and supported by biology. Creationism is a children's tale which is no more probable than the origin stories of the other religions. It's just as likely that Brahma made this world and soon Shiva will come along to destroy it and continue the cycle. None of the religious beliefs hold any more weight than the others. They are the Stork Theory in the scientific world of sexual reproduction.
I don't think I have ever seen so many ad hoc statements in one post on this website.

04-06-2011, 04:21 PM
(04-06-2011 03:46 PM)Spectre Wrote:  I don't think I have ever seen so many ad hoc statements in one post on this website.

Why don't you list them instead of asserting they are there?

Hey brother christian, with your high and mighty errand, your actions speak so loud, I can't hear a word you're saying.

"This machine kills fascists..."

"Well this machine kills commies!"
04-06-2011, 05:42 PM
(04-06-2011 10:32 AM)Spectre Wrote:  misconceptions on both sides of the debate
You might want to start with PREconceptions. Everyone brings preconceptions to a discussion but few are aware of either their own or their interlocutor's.

He was part of my dream, of course--but then I was part of his dream, too!
--Alice
04-06-2011, 06:18 PM (This post was last modified: 04-06-2011 06:37 PM by ashley.hunt60.)
The usual person who describes themselves as an atheist tends to be more liberal and champion reason and science, but in reality we are such a diverse group. I believe Sciencetologists are naturally atheists, along with several other religions. Then there are the Objectivists, who are pretty far right(economically wise), the spiritual atheists, who fully believe in the supernatural, and the list goes on of people who qualify as atheists. But, for the most part, when someone identifies themselves as an atheist, they are like us, the rational, naturalistic, skeptical sort. One sharp line that I tend to notice within the group that calls themselves atheists is between those who believe that religion is over-all harmful and detrimental to humanity, and those who think that religion is largely benign. There a lot f grey area between the two, though that is something I think atheists squabble within themselves the most about.

EDIT: Oh, and here's a side note you might find interesting. There are some, though a very small minority, of atheists who are creationists. They believe humans were created, just not by a god. I'll see if I can dig up information of them.

I don't believe Jesus is the son of God until I see the long form birth certificate!
04-06-2011, 06:57 PM (This post was last modified: 04-06-2011 07:01 PM by Spectre.)
(04-06-2011 04:21 PM)UnderTheMicroscope Wrote:  
(04-06-2011 03:46 PM)Spectre Wrote:  I don't think I have ever seen so many ad hoc statements in one post on this website.

Why don't you list them instead of asserting they are there?
Perhaps this was not meant to be a debate thread, but I see that some of you who may have misplaced rage would love to derail it.

(04-06-2011 06:18 PM)ashley.hunt60 Wrote:  The usual person who describes themselves as an atheist tends to be more liberal and champion reason and science, but in reality we are such a diverse group. I believe Sciencetologists are naturally atheists, along with several other religions. Then there are the Objectivists, who are pretty far right(economically wise), the spiritual atheists, who fully believe in the supernatural, and the list goes on of people who qualify as atheists. But, for the most part, when someone identifies themselves as an atheist, they are like us, the rational, naturalistic, skeptical sort. One sharp line that I tend to notice within the group that calls themselves atheists is between those who believe that religion is over-all harmful and detrimental to humanity, and those who think that religion is largely benign. There a lot f grey area between the two, though that is something I think atheists squabble within themselves the most about.

EDIT: Oh, and here's a side note you might find interesting. There are some, though a very small minority, of atheists who are creationists. They believe humans were created, just not by a god. I'll see if I can dig up information of them.
Yeah, I have heard different things from atheists. Some are totally devoted to naturalism, others think that there is a new dimension for every decision made. I had one that believed that our life was a game, kind of like the sim known as Second Life. They all come in different sizes, I was just wondering what the beliefs of various atheists on this forum are.

(04-06-2011 05:42 PM)pilgrim Wrote:  
(04-06-2011 10:32 AM)Spectre Wrote:  misconceptions on both sides of the debate
You might want to start with PREconceptions. Everyone brings preconceptions to a discussion but few are aware of either their own or their interlocutor's.
Presuppositions you mean? Yes, those are covered. Tongue