A question for atheists.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-03-2014, 10:28 PM (This post was last modified: 08-03-2014 10:41 PM by shimmyjimmy.)
A question for atheists.
While I know that most of you find it more appropriate to challenge the theists on why they believe that they believe, I'd like you to take the road less traveled...

What positive argument(s) or evidence(s) do you have which may convince a theist to change their minds?

Note: I'm not asking you for reasons that COMPEL the theist to change their minds, but rather for reasons that COULD change their minds.

I would truly appreciate your responses, and I hope to see some thought-provoking ones.

Thank you.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-03-2014, 10:50 PM
RE: A question for atheists.
Having been a Christian, and now Agnostic, I'd say that what led me to it was that religion just didn't seem genuine and true. Lots of fabrications, contradictions in the Bible, and outright lies being told to preserve a myth. A lot of Christians think that Atheism is about destroying religion, but it really is just interested in being real. Religion is not genuine. It seems to cloak everything in a mystery, and it breeds fear.

I don't begrudge someone following religion if they choose, but really...it's not necessary to living a healthy and productive life.

The beauty of the heart, is the lasting beauty. - Rumi Heart
[+] 4 users Like Deidre32's post
08-03-2014, 11:00 PM
(08-03-2014 10:28 PM)shimmyjimmy Wrote:  While I know that most of you find it more appropriate to challenge the theists on why they believe that they believe, I'd like you to take the road less traveled...

What positive argument(s) or evidence(s) do you have which may convince a theist to change their minds?

Note: I'm not asking you for reasons that COMPEL the theist to change their minds, but rather for reasons that COULD change their minds.

I would truly appreciate your responses, and I hope to see some thought-provoking ones.

Thank you.

It depends entirely on the person. Most theists refuse to change their minds. (In my experience, anyway) But then, every so often, when you find yourself in a personal, one-on-one conversation which isn't taking place on a public forum, you can get through to the person and they actually consider your argument(s).

So, what evidence do I have? More than enough. The relevant issue is finding the one who will accept it.

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-03-2014, 11:01 PM
(08-03-2014 10:28 PM)shimmyjimmy Wrote:  While I know that most of you find it more appropriate to challenge the theists on why they believe that they believe, I'd like you to take the road less traveled...

What positives argument(s) or evidence(s) do you have which may convince a theist to change their minds?

Thank you.

I believe that one should proportion one's belief to the evidence and the evidence for God after all these centuries is zero. In the last 2000 years not a single argument for God's existence has stood to reason. Not a single one. You have to decide for yourself what you believe. If you have faith, well faith is not a reliable pathway to knowledge. It just isn't and you know this to be true because there have been thousands of different faiths and if you are a Christian then you don't accept any of them and they don't accept yours. They can't all be right but they could all be wrong.

I would never try to prove a negative. The lack of evidence where there should be abundant evidence is justification for not believing. If some evidence is presented then I'll deal with it then and if it is sufficient then I'll believe. I think as Human beings we have to start with what we know, existence exists, and go from there and see what we can learn about it by observation, induction and reason. Faith has no place as far as I'm concerned. Faith, just say no.

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

Don't sacrifice for me, live for yourself! - Me

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick
08-03-2014, 11:11 PM (This post was last modified: 08-03-2014 11:18 PM by Losty.)
I will tell you when I was at the lowest point in my life I turned to the bible. I was so completely lost I decided not to look up verses that I already knew, those were obviously not helping. So I studied the bible. Day and night reading and reading for months. If anything can turn a Christian away from god it is that book. That is what lead me here. I hadn't yet decided that god wasnt real, I had only decided that he was something awful and I wanted nothing to do with him. Then I came here and met a lot of people who are way smarter than me and now I feel so much safer knowing that there is no evil god out there.

Swing with me a while, we can listen to the birds call, we can keep each other warm.
Swing with me forever, we can count up every flower, we can weather every storm.
08-03-2014, 11:16 PM
When I was a lad, I started to realize I disagreed with a number of things in the bible, and at that point I just said "fuck it, let's try deism!" And then I realized that my god as well as everyone elses' had the same logical failings so I decided to just stick with atheism.
08-03-2014, 11:27 PM (This post was last modified: 08-03-2014 11:37 PM by Taqiyya Mockingbird.)
(08-03-2014 10:28 PM)shimmyjimmy Wrote:  While I know that most of you find it more appropriate to challenge the theists on why they believe that they believe,

Why do you say that? You are the one who is here at an atheist forum, I have never posted in an X-tard forum.

Quote: I'd like you to take the road less traveled...

And are we somehow at your beck and call?

Quote:What positive argument(s) or evidence(s)

You know, I can tell an X-tard apolotard by the way it misuses the word "evidences" as a plural noun. You might as well just say, "Hey, look at me, I am an Idiot".

Quote:do you have which may convince a theist to change their minds?

We have the evidence that not a single theist in the history of the known universe has EVER provided evidence to support their claim(s) of the existence of their sky fairies, so there's that.

Quote:Note: I'm not asking you for reasons that COMPEL the theist to change their minds, but rather for reasons that COULD change their minds.

Do you have nothing better to do than to troll atheist forums? Are you a sock puppet of Miss Mung, BlowJob, DreckSack, BrownShit, and/or TTT?

Quote:I would truly appreciate your responses, and I hope to see some thought-provoking ones.

Thank you.

How about Where is your evidence for whatever sky fairy you believe in.

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
08-03-2014, 11:31 PM
Genesis vs. Science. And if they are a progressive theist and admit Genesis is poetry, then you have them, because if they can be persuaded to believe Genesis is a load of hokum, then they can be persuaded that the bible is just a man-made myth written by Middle Eastern goat herders who wanted to have it written down somewhere through some "higher" authority that it's OK to own slaves, rape and abuse women and kill anyone who doesn't agree with their narrow bigoted minds.

Check out my atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-03-2014, 11:34 PM
(08-03-2014 11:27 PM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  
(08-03-2014 10:28 PM)shimmyjimmy Wrote:  While I know that most of you find it more appropriate to challenge the theists on why they believe that they believe,

Why do you say that? You are the one who is here at an atheist forum, I have never posted in an X-tard forum.

Quote: I'd like you to take the road less traveled...

Quote:What positive argument(s) or evidence(s)

You know, I can tell an X-tard apolotard by the way it misuses the word "evidences" as a plural noun. You might as well just say, "Hey, look at me, I am an Idiot".

Quote:do you have which may convince a theist to change their minds?

We have the evidence that not a single theist in the history of the known universe has EVER provided evidence to support their claim(s) of the existence of their sky fairies, so there's that.

Quote:Note: I'm not asking you for reasons that COMPEL the theist to change their minds, but rather for reasons that COULD change their minds.

Do you have nothing better to do than to troll atheist forums? Are you a sock puppet of Miss Mung, BlowJob, DreckSack, BrownShit, and/or TTT?

Quote:I would truly appreciate your responses, and I hope to see some thought-provoking ones.

Thank you.

[/quote]

Simmer down Taq. Give her a chance. Maybe she's looking for a reason to believe that being atheist is okay and your going to scare her off.

Swing with me a while, we can listen to the birds call, we can keep each other warm.
Swing with me forever, we can count up every flower, we can weather every storm.
[+] 5 users Like Losty's post
08-03-2014, 11:38 PM
(08-03-2014 11:34 PM)LostandInsecure Wrote:  
(08-03-2014 11:27 PM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  Why do you say that? You are the one who is here at an atheist forum, I have never posted in an X-tard forum.

Simmer down Taq. Give her a chance. Maybe she's looking for a reason to believe that being atheist is okay and your going to scare her off.
[/quote]

Sorry, hun, but I smell troll all over this one.

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
[+] 1 user Likes Taqiyya Mockingbird's post