A question for atheists.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-03-2014, 11:40 PM
RE: A question for atheists.
(08-03-2014 11:38 PM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  
(08-03-2014 11:34 PM)LostandInsecure Wrote:  

Simmer down Taq. Give her a chance. Maybe she's looking for a reason to believe that being atheist is okay and your going to scare her off.

Sorry, hun, but I smell troll all over this one.
[/quote]

Quotey thing looks broken.

Swing with me a while, we can listen to the birds call, we can keep each other warm.
Swing with me forever, we can count up every flower, we can weather every storm.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-03-2014, 11:42 PM (This post was last modified: 08-03-2014 11:46 PM by Deidre32.)
After researching different religions, I've come to view them all as fear inducing. Why is it that if a god should exist, we should all fear him/it?

Does that make a god more um "god like?" Lol If God exists, maybe he's just a chill kinda being. Big Grin

Seriously though, I've often thought that a person's view of a god is directly proportional to his/her own worldview. Which to me only proved that a god or the concept of one exists only in one's imagination and desire to hope in something other than the secular world. As an example, look at Adolf Hitler. He claimed to have a Christian background but he viewed God as condoning his twisted plans against the Jews.

Religion gives people excuses for doing bad things. I believe there are good and wonderful religious people out there but something tells me they would be good and wonderful without religion at all.

The beauty of the heart, is the lasting beauty. - Rumi Heart
08-03-2014, 11:42 PM
(08-03-2014 11:27 PM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  Why do you say that? You are the one who is here at an atheist forum, I have never posted in an X-tard forum.

I am generalizing. I am not speaking of anyone individually, nor am I suggesting that anyone here has done so on a theist forum.

And I don't appreciate you saying 'X-tard', I think it is rude and demeaning. Would you even refer to religious children with that term?

(08-03-2014 11:27 PM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  You know, I can tell an X-tard apolotard by the way it misuses the word "evidences" as a plural noun. You might as well just say, "Hey, look at me, I am an Idiot".

I apologize for my error. It was an innocent mistake. There is no reason to be so rude and condescending, sir.

(08-03-2014 11:27 PM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  We have the evidence that not a single theist in the history of the known universe has EVER provided evidence to support their claim(s) of the existence of their sky fairies, so there's that.

Will you not answer my original question?

(08-03-2014 11:27 PM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  Do you have nothing better to do than to troll atheist forums? Are you a sock puppet of Miss Mung, BlowJob, DreckSack, BrownShit, and/or TTT?

Excuse me? I am not a 'troll', I just asked an innocent question. Even if you think I am stupid, that does not make me a troll.
[+] 1 user Likes shimmyjimmy's post
08-03-2014, 11:49 PM
Everyone comes to agnosticism or atheism from different directions and on their own terms. Some take a short time, others take decades.

Few of us came to atheism the same way (unlike religion when most are indoctrinated into).

I came into atheism via mythology and sociology/anthropology. What worked for me, wouldn't work well for someone who doesn't at least share the interest.

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

[+] 2 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
08-03-2014, 11:51 PM
(08-03-2014 10:28 PM)shimmyjimmy Wrote:  While I know that most of you find it more appropriate to challenge the theists on why they believe that they believe, I'd like you to take the road less traveled...

What positive argument(s) or evidence(s) do you have which may convince a theist to change their minds?

Note: I'm not asking you for reasons that COMPEL the theist to change their minds, but rather for reasons that COULD change their minds.

I would truly appreciate your responses, and I hope to see some thought-provoking ones.

Thank you.

Science is usually a good argument, but we all know how well that goes over with creationists...

“Religion was invented when the first con man met the first fool.” - Mark Twain
08-03-2014, 11:53 PM
I think the most compelling argument is that religion tends to be future-oriented rather than focusing on the here-and-now, and that engagement in the present moment has excellent outcomes in terms of personal happiness.

It also re-frames any potential gods there may be in a much more supportive light: "Yes, please explore the world and see what you find. There's lots of time for us to chat later."

My go-to guy on the subject of happiness is psychologist Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi, author of the book Flow. I've even found a TED talk with him. Two of the major factors for achieving "flow" -- In essence, an ecstatic state of involvement when personal skills are being utilized and challenged near the limits of one's ability -- are control and arousal. Religion tends to hijack the first factor by transferring control to an outside agency such as a god (or by proxy, the local pastor). It also often exploits arousal by summoning it through ceremony -- Think of a Pentacostal revival, for instance.

As a footnote, I'd be interested to know how many people who engage in charismatic religious rites are capable of also finding flow in their daily lives outside the church. Does the chanting, speaking in tongues, dancing or whatever translate into quicker access to a flow state when working on personal projects, or does it make non-religious flow more difficult?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-03-2014, 11:53 PM
(08-03-2014 11:49 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Everyone comes to agnosticism or atheism from different directions and on their own terms. Some take a short time, others take decades.

Few of us came to atheism the same way (unlike religion when most are indoctrinated into).

I came into atheism via mythology and sociology/anthropology. What worked for me, wouldn't work well for someone who doesn't at least share the interest.

That is very interesting! Smile

What particular aspects of your studies into those subjects helped sway you?
08-03-2014, 11:54 PM
A question for atheists.
Comparative religions.

Generally, churchgoers are fed a bunch of garbage about what "other religions believe" and how "Christianity is unique" when there's nothing particularly unique or believable about it as a religion, other then it happening to be the de-facto dominant religion in the West, allowing gradual constant exposure to the beliefs until they're no longer questionable or unusual, but commonplace.

“It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.”
― Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
08-03-2014, 11:56 PM (This post was last modified: 08-03-2014 11:59 PM by Taqiyya Mockingbird.)
(08-03-2014 11:42 PM)shimmyjimmy Wrote:  
(08-03-2014 11:27 PM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  Why do you say that? You are the one who is here at an atheist forum, I have never posted in an X-tard forum.

I am generalizing. I am not speaking of anyone individually, nor am I suggesting that anyone here has done so on a theist forum.

So you are strawmanning us. Check.

Quote:And I don't appreciate you saying 'X-tard', I think it is rude and demeaning.

And I think it's rude and condescending of you to demand that we "take your road less traveled". Do you have any idea how many idiots come to this forum spouting the same exact line of shit as you?

Quote: Would you even refer to religious children with that term?

Absolutely. Believing in fairy tales is retarded. It retards a child's intellectual development. As well as an adult's.

Quote:
(08-03-2014 11:27 PM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  You know, I can tell an X-tard apolotard by the way it misuses the word "evidences" as a plural noun. You might as well just say, "Hey, look at me, I am an Idiot".

I apologize for my error. It was an innocent mistake. There is no reason to be so rude and condescending, sir.

It is a very telling "mistake".

Quote:
(08-03-2014 11:27 PM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  We have the evidence that not a single theist in the history of the known universe has EVER provided evidence to support their claim(s) of the existence of their sky fairies, so there's that.

Will you not answer my original question?

I just did. All your "question" amounts to is a badly concealed attempt to shift your burden of proof. What REAL evidence do you have of whatever sky fairy you believe in?

Quote:
(08-03-2014 11:27 PM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  Do you have nothing better to do than to troll atheist forums? Are you a sock puppet of Miss Mung, BlowJob, DreckSack, BrownShit, and/or TTT?

Excuse me? I am not a 'troll', I just asked an innocent question. Even if you think I am stupid, that does not make me a troll.

That's what every troll who comes in here says.

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
08-03-2014, 11:59 PM
Many of us were not raised in homes with religion. So when we hear bible stories it just sounds REALLY far fetched and make believe.

Imagine never hearing the story of Santa Clause till you were age 25, and someone tries to tell you it's true.

It's that moment when you say WTF? that's bullshit, why can't you see it?

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
[+] 1 user Likes Bows and Arrows's post