A question for atheists.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-03-2014, 03:34 AM
RE: A question for atheists.
(09-03-2014 03:29 AM)IndianAtheist Wrote:  
(09-03-2014 02:23 AM)Charis Wrote:  And since, per the Bible, I was to SUBMIT TO MY HUSBAND IN ALL THINGS..... apparently, the only reason that rape shouldn't be happening is because the wife should be in submission. Which jives very well with what I was taught.
You know.. now i realize that its not men in power that single out and oppress women but its women who are raised up to accept misogyny&subjugation.

It's a combination. The men involved single out and oppress the women. The women have been reared to believe this is as it should be. Other women are often used as enforcers. It's a threesome from hell.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like Charis's post
09-03-2014, 03:35 AM
Lol, did I just say that?
[+] 1 user Likes Charis's post
09-03-2014, 03:38 AM
(09-03-2014 03:28 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(09-03-2014 03:09 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  ...
3. If people choose to live in ignorance of the origins of what they believe, and why they hold it as "true" in their brains, it's their problem.
There are FAR better things to do than argue with the scientific, psychologically and historically ignorant.

Yes and no. There are much better things to do but if I saw no value it and if it was just 'their problem' I wouldn't do it.

The problem is, for me, the sense of injustice.

Sure, in the big nihilistic scheme of things, it doesn't matter but when a friend for example simultaneously holds, unwittingly, two conflicting positions e.g. "It's not fair that women don't have the same career opportunities as men" and "I think it's great that the Quran makes my husband responsible for my well-being; it makes me feel secure", I think it would be amiss not to mention that she is trading freedom for security and the divine diktat may just have something to do with her loss of upward mobility.

Agree. BUT, it is the responsibility of the claimant of a system user to demonstrate their claims are internally consistent and historically accurate, and actually meaningful. I'm still waiting for ONE that can do that. or present anything interesting. (There is one that's "interesting", but I've never heard a theist use it.) A few people here know about it, and actually agree about it's relative value.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
09-03-2014, 09:26 AM
1. Problem of evil
2. Contradicts science in many disciplines
3. Proposed gods self-contradictory, bible god is himself evil
4. Archeological evidence
5. Holy books are self-contradictory
6. Supernatural events don't occur
7. Gods never interact with the world

I could go on
[+] 1 user Likes freetoreason's post
09-03-2014, 09:30 AM
Problem of evil is what destroyed my faith. No way could a loving god let people suffer(even in this life).
The silence in general. Either god doesn't exist or he is in hiding not doing nothing. And god who is hiding is not worth believing in.
09-03-2014, 09:44 AM
I'll answer honestly.

There is the problem of the OT. I took a number of courses in anthropology and archeology and I came to realize that the OT was not factually true. Not only this but writers 2500-3000years ago didn't even have that concept. They never intended to write histories the way we today think of history. They saw the world differently. It's somewhat difficult to describe the concept but when they wrote "histories" they were embellishments or parables. Think for example of the Iliad, which describes a real war but is a poem with moral guidelines in it.

Of course there are earlier mythologies which pre-date the OT which the stories are "borrowed" from. This was a common practice, to incorporate old mythologies and gods to help spread a religion (as was the case with the Saturnalia being commandeered for the Christian Christmas holiday).

There is the composition of the NT as well. There were many separate books that were floating around at the time all about Jesus. None written during his lifetime, btw, but that's not relevant to THIS point. The books that made it in were chosen arbitrarily by fallible men with very definite political motives.

If also like to point out the Pontius Pilate of the bible is not the guy I read of in history class.
[+] 1 user Likes natachan's post
09-03-2014, 10:50 AM
(08-03-2014 10:28 PM)shimmyjimmy Wrote:  While I know that most of you find it more appropriate to challenge the theists on why they believe that they believe, I'd like you to take the road less traveled...

What positive argument(s) or evidence(s) do you have which may convince a theist to change their minds?

Note: I'm not asking you for reasons that COMPEL the theist to change their minds, but rather for reasons that COULD change their minds.

I would truly appreciate your responses, and I hope to see some thought-provoking ones.

Thank you.
I'm sure it's been said all ready, READ the bible, all the bits your preacher ignored or glossed over, once you realize your all loving father figure is the universes greatest asshole, you will see it as a man made construct.

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
09-03-2014, 10:58 AM (This post was last modified: 09-03-2014 11:08 AM by Revenant77x.)
(08-03-2014 10:28 PM)shimmyjimmy Wrote:  While I know that most of you find it more appropriate to challenge the theists on why they believe that they believe, I'd like you to take the road less traveled...

What positive argument(s) or evidence(s) do you have which may convince a theist to change their minds?

Note: I'm not asking you for reasons that COMPEL the theist to change their minds, but rather for reasons that COULD change their minds.

I would truly appreciate your responses, and I hope to see some thought-provoking ones.

Thank you.

Watch those then try and figure out how the bible can be true when archeology proves that none of the first 5 books happened as stated. The short answer is it isn't the Bible is merely a collection of myths of a relatively insignificant desert tribe that only became important after it was adopted as the backstory to the Cult of the Roman Empire.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 1 user Likes Revenant77x's post
09-03-2014, 11:01 AM
Since many Christians disavow "religion," yet this post seems to consider Christianity a religion, are you sure that you were a Christian? What made you a "Christian"?

What is the myth preserved?
Can you prove a fabrication in the Bible?
How do you know that atheism is reality?

(08-03-2014 10:50 PM)Deidre32 Wrote:  Having been a Christian, and now Agnostic, I'd say that what led me to it was that religion just didn't seem genuine and true. Lots of fabrications, contradictions in the Bible, and outright lies being told to preserve a myth. A lot of Christians think that Atheism is about destroying religion, but it really is just interested in being real. Religion is not genuine. It seems to cloak everything in a mystery, and it breeds fear.

I don't begrudge someone following religion if they choose, but really...it's not necessary to living a healthy and productive life.

Sometimes those who know the least, know the most.
09-03-2014, 11:03 AM
Were you not taught that "loving neighbor as self" was the highest principle for interaction between humans? Were you not taught that being a servant was the essence of leadership?

(09-03-2014 03:34 AM)Charis Wrote:  
(09-03-2014 03:29 AM)IndianAtheist Wrote:  You know.. now i realize that its not men in power that single out and oppress women but its women who are raised up to accept misogyny&subjugation.

It's a combination. The men involved single out and oppress the women. The women have been reared to believe this is as it should be. Other women are often used as enforcers. It's a threesome from hell.

Sometimes those who know the least, know the most.