A question for atheists.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-06-2011, 01:20 PM
RE: A question for atheists.
(04-06-2011 06:57 PM)Spectre Wrote:  Perhaps this was not meant to be a debate thread, but I see that some of you who may have misplaced rage would love to derail it.

Perhapes you shouldn't make statements and not provide reasoning, when you know you'll get called on it. As far as misplaced rage- pft, hardly, please don't use amateur psychology as an argument.

Hey brother christian, with your high and mighty errand, your actions speak so loud, I can't hear a word you're saying.

"This machine kills fascists..."

"Well this machine kills commies!"
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-06-2011, 05:53 PM

(06-06-2011 09:48 AM)Spectre Wrote:  
(06-06-2011 04:17 AM)Diederick Wrote:  Militant atheists are simply atheists who are a bit more aggressive than the "passive atheists". I think the group you mean is the young/new atheists whose passion to get involved stands above digging deeply into the established knowledge and customs.
Can you elaborate further? I never thought there was a difference between a militant atheist and a new atheist. This is exactly why I came to this website. Big Grin I really don't want to end up giving people the wrong ideas about you guys because it would only hurt us both.
I identify as a militant atheist, or anti-theist. I strongly oppose religion and spirituality because I think it is harmful and inferior to temporal realities. In my experience people who are really just beginning to enter the debating world (and they can be on either side of an issue) usually lack the deeper understanding and up-to-date information on (popular) issues. They just formed their opinion and feel the need to engage others with their ideas, which is good, of course; but without sufficient knowledge and missing 'debating culture skills' they tend to come across as ignorant or even troll-like.

Wikipedia sums Militant Atheism up nicely in the first alinea:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Militant_atheism
Quote this message in a reply
06-06-2011, 08:47 PM

(06-06-2011 09:48 AM)Spectre Wrote:  disagree, despite what you have been told there are valid reasons to believe the Earth is young. I don't want to turn this into a debate thread though. You can have the last word on this if you wish.

I am truly interested in these reasons, every creationist I've spoken too claims to have valid reasons yet they are not inclined to share. Heck send the reasons in a PM if you don't want to start anything. There should be no worries about turning this into a debate thread if what you have to say is truly valid, for if it was valid we would not be able to argue against it.
Quote this message in a reply
07-06-2011, 09:42 AM (This post was last modified: 07-06-2011 09:49 AM by Spectre.)
(06-06-2011 08:47 PM)Atheist Troll Wrote:  
(06-06-2011 09:48 AM)Spectre Wrote:  disagree, despite what you have been told there are valid reasons to believe the Earth is young. I don't want to turn this into a debate thread though. You can have the last word on this if you wish.

I am truly interested in these reasons, every creationist I've spoken too claims to have valid reasons yet they are not inclined to share. Heck send the reasons in a PM if you don't want to start anything. There should be no worries about turning this into a debate thread if what you have to say is truly valid, for if it was valid we would not be able to argue against it.
It is possible to argue against valid arguments, though such counter arguments will normally contain numerous logical fallacies. However, despite how fallacious the arguments are, when the rational one gets tired of responding the irrational person claims victory. In summary, many make the mistake of believing that any response to any point refutes the original point.

As far as showing you the evidence. I will shoot you a pm when time permits, I just don't want this thread to derail into a debate. I am in enough of those already and the last thing I need is every person on this forum trying to dispute what I say. Wink

(06-06-2011 01:20 PM)UnderTheMicroscope Wrote:  
(04-06-2011 06:57 PM)Spectre Wrote:  Perhaps this was not meant to be a debate thread, but I see that some of you who may have misplaced rage would love to derail it.

Perhapes you shouldn't make statements and not provide reasoning, when you know you'll get called on it. As far as misplaced rage- pft, hardly, please don't use amateur psychology as an argument.
All I said was that he made a lot of ad hoc statements, which is apparent when you read his post. If you can not see the ad hoc statements, then I can't help you.

"But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts: and [be] ready always to [give] an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear:" Peter 3:15

http://www.answersforhope.org
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-06-2011, 10:30 AM
(06-06-2011 09:48 AM)Spectre Wrote:  It is possible to argue against valid arguments, though such counter arguments will normally contain numerous logical fallacies. However, despite how fallacious the arguments are, when the rational one gets tired of responding the irrational person claims victory. In summary, many make the mistake of believing that any response to any point refutes the original point.

The irony in this statement is palpable...
07-06-2011, 10:36 AM
(07-06-2011 09:42 AM)Spectre Wrote:  It is possible to argue against valid arguments, though such counter arguments will normally contain numerous logical fallacies. However, despite how fallacious the arguments are, when the rational one gets tired of responding the irrational person claims victory. In summary, many make the mistake of believing that any response to any point refutes the original point.

.....I have a blue bike.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
[+] 1 user Likes Stark Raving's post
07-06-2011, 03:46 PM (This post was last modified: 07-06-2011 03:53 PM by Spectre.)
(07-06-2011 10:30 AM)myst32 Wrote:  
(06-06-2011 09:48 AM)Spectre Wrote:  It is possible to argue against valid arguments, though such counter arguments will normally contain numerous logical fallacies. However, despite how fallacious the arguments are, when the rational one gets tired of responding the irrational person claims victory. In summary, many make the mistake of believing that any response to any point refutes the original point.

You don't know me well enough to make such a statement.

"But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts: and [be] ready always to [give] an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear:" Peter 3:15

07-06-2011, 03:52 PM
(07-06-2011 03:46 PM)Spectre Wrote:  

I don't know the guy driving this truck but I recognize irony when I see it.

[Image: 579-irony-when-life-imitates-art.jpg]
07-06-2011, 03:55 PM
(07-06-2011 03:52 PM)myst32 Wrote:  
(07-06-2011 03:46 PM)Spectre Wrote:  

I don't know the guy driving this truck but I recognize irony when I see it.

[Image: 579-irony-when-life-imitates-art.jpg]
That has nothing to do with the point. Your actions are speaking volumes. Stop trying to derail my thread just because you have some misplaced rage towards me.

07-06-2011, 07:16 PM
Thanks to everyone for their answers. I'll go ahead and let this thread die now.