A question for former believers on here

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-06-2015, 10:46 PM
RE: A question for former believers on here
Most of my false reasoning back then, manifested in the form of convincing myself of unprovable nonsense.

Some examples: Praying in a quiet space and claiming to feel the spirit of the holy ghost. Believing that the lord was capable of converting the hearts of the hardened. Testifying of the truthfulness of things (holy writ) without evidence to back up the claims.

I was fairly effective at helping increase the flock, oblivious at the time to how back assward it all was.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-06-2015, 10:48 PM
(03-06-2015 09:02 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  When I believed I told myself all kinds of stuff. Like god wanted me to call ticketron to get the Rolling Stones tickets, by sending me a sign, at just the right time.

Sad but true. I used to have feelings that I attributed to god all the time.

So? Did god come through? Smile

Or was he a cheap bastard who would fuck with someone's head by dangling Stones tickets in front of them? Dodgy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
Find all posts by this user
04-06-2015, 02:12 AM
I was not very religious from the start, going to church was more about doing what parents said than anything else. I've never felt "personal connection" to Jesus/god so leaving the religion was not difficult.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 2 users Like Szuchow's post
04-06-2015, 04:04 AM (This post was last modified: 04-06-2015 04:08 AM by TheStraightener.)
The personal experience and relationahip thing throws a real spanner in the works.

If I was shown evidence that a god existed then I would easily leave atheism. I have no emotional attachment to atheism and my atheism has no personal importance.

A theist however is emotionally invested in their belief, they have a relationship and an attachment to their belief... Making it much harder to let go of, even when presented with evidence. Maybe similar to finding out your wife is cheating but because you love her you come up with all sort of rationalisations to believe its not true... Where as if you didn't love or know the person.. Then the evidence would convince you immediately.

If you was in the personal relationship phase, then you might not have been swayed so easily
[+] 1 user Likes TheStraightener's post
04-06-2015, 05:01 AM
A personal relationship with god, jesus, whatever is the oldest known catfish game I can think of.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
04-06-2015, 05:08 AM
(03-06-2015 07:41 PM)666wannabe Wrote:  When I first read your post, I thought you said that you always got "boned" in church.

Didn't everyone?

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 2 users Like Banjo's post
04-06-2015, 05:09 AM
I was raised evangelical and was a Christian from age 5 to about 20. I tried wholeheartedly to feel the presence of god and prayed, but never felt anything. I know many people who (believe that they) feel god's presence, but it never happened for me. That made it easier for me, emotionally, to get away from what I feel is a particularly destructive iteration of the religious impulse.
04-06-2015, 05:17 AM
When somebody tells me they have "a personal relationship with god" --

I reply that I have a sexual relationship with Charlize Theron.

It's just as fucking believable....

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
04-06-2015, 05:25 AM
(03-06-2015 07:29 PM)Rkane819 Wrote:  For any former believers on here did you ever feel like Jesus was present in your life/God answered your prayers? Obviously you walked away from your faith so what do you think it was you were feeling in those moments when you truly believed? I remember getting really excited as a kid thinking about Santa and the Easter bunny. This is the closest I can come to the feeling believers claim they are experiencing.

I used to occasionally get this elated feeling, which I attributed to the presence of God. I would especially think so if I got that feeling while praying or taking communion. Of course, I didn't give it much thought when it would happen at completely unrelated times.

I went through about a two-year period when I started doubting seriously to when I accepted my non-belief. During this time, I wanted to believe, but I typically wouldn't "feel" anything. I also noted after this time that I would still get that same elated feeling that I did before, but I now recognized all of the more mundane times it was happening. Hell, I had it one time thinking about not believing in God. My guess is it's dopamine, or something.

Never at any point did I ever feel "close" to God, or like I understood him or was having any type of meaningful, two-way relationship.
[+] 1 user Likes RobbyPants's post
04-06-2015, 05:41 AM
I stopped believing pretty early (13-14) and I was never that religious, but I did feel some kind of presence when I asked things from God. I also saw "signs" all the time which made me feel there was a purpose, a meaning and a certain righteous path I had to follow.

Somewhere around the time when I started to lose my (almost nonexistent) faith, me, my brother and a couple of friends started reading about magic and witches and all that shit, and we tried spells and all sorts of silly stuff. I remember I felt pretty much the same, some kind of connection with the universe and the presence of something supernatural.

At some point I realized that if both of these make me feel the same, something is not right. It didn't take me long to start reading books that explained what I was experiencing.

"Behind every great pirate, there is a great butt."
-Guybrush Threepwood-
[+] 2 users Like undergroundp's post