A question for former believers on here

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-06-2015, 12:52 PM
RE: A question for former believers on here
The emotion around you. It sounds like mirroring which we humans tend to do. From wiki: Mirroring is the behaviour in which one person subconsciously imitates the gesture, speech pattern, or attitude of another. Mirroring often occurs in social situations, particularly in the company of close friends or family. The concept often affects other individual's notions about the individual that is exhibiting mirroring behaviors, which can lead to the individual building rapport with others.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-06-2015, 02:40 PM
I always felt god during any time of guilt. There are only a few times that I can recall enjoying any sort of fellowship with other Christians, but I never felt that was due to god. No, he only came calling whenever I felt guilty. Usually due to having lustful thoughts, saying goddammit, or having any doubts about the religion. After reading The God Virus by Darrell Ray, I came to find this as fundamental to my religion and not an isolated event.
07-06-2015, 07:02 AM
(03-06-2015 07:29 PM)Rkane819 Wrote:  I grew up Catholic but was bored most of the time in church and the moment I wasn't required to go anymore I stopped. After college I started looking into whether this whole Catholicism was legit and came to the conclusion that I didn't believe and never really did.

When I talk to theists I usually get the response that they have a personal relationship with God/Jesus and they feel their presence. I never came remotely close to having an experience like this which is probably why it was so easy for me to walk away.

For any former believers on here did you ever feel like Jesus was present in your life/God answered your prayers? Obviously you walked away from your faith so what do you think it was you were feeling in those moments when you truly believed? I remember getting really excited as a kid thinking about Santa and the Easter bunny. This is the closest I can come to the feeling believers claim they are experiencing. Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Yeah for me it wasn't the whole jesus is doing me so much good presents that everyone was "testifying" in church. It was more a belief out of fear of hell. Once I finally got out of the bible belt that I was trapped in my entire life I felt more comfortable asking the questions. After that the fear started to fall and so did Christianity.
07-06-2015, 12:17 PM
(03-06-2015 07:41 PM)666wannabe Wrote:  
(03-06-2015 07:29 PM)Rkane819 Wrote:  I grew up Catholic but was bored most of the time in church and the moment I wasn't required to go anymore I stopped. After college I started looking into whether this whole Catholicism was legit and came to the conclusion that I didn't believe and never really did.

When I talk to theists I usually get the response that they have a personal relationship with God/Jesus and they feel their presence. I never came remotely close to having an experience like this which is probably why it was so easy for me to walk away.

For any former believers on here did you ever feel like Jesus was present in your life/God answered your prayers? Obviously you walked away from your faith so what do you think it was you were feeling in those moments when you truly believed? I remember getting really excited as a kid thinking about Santa and the Easter bunny. This is the closest I can come to the feeling believers claim they are experiencing. Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.

When I first read your post, I thought you said that you always got "boned" in church.

Maybe he was an alter boy. Catholic church after all.

I'm homophobic in the same way that I'm arachnophobic. I'm not scared of gay people but I'm going to scream if I find one in my bath.

I'm. Also homophobic in the same way I'm arachnophobic. I'm scared of spiders but I'd still fuck'em.
- my friend Marc
07-06-2015, 12:51 PM
Even though I think I probably fall somewhere in the 98th percentile in terms of religiousness, I have never felt a personal connection to God. It has never really bothered me because that is not really who I am or how I come to God.

I'm homophobic in the same way that I'm arachnophobic. I'm not scared of gay people but I'm going to scream if I find one in my bath.

I'm. Also homophobic in the same way I'm arachnophobic. I'm scared of spiders but I'd still fuck'em.
- my friend Marc
08-06-2015, 06:03 AM
There are a handful of occasions in my life where I sincerely believed that some of the specific, long-term prayers I had prayed for were personally answered by god.

But asides from that, I never had a personal relationship with him. As a child, I was usually unable to wrap my head around such basic god/religious concepts, such as how our life on this planet is meaningless compared to the afterlive, or how we are supposed to love god more than anything -- even our own parents or spouse.

Lots of examples of how I was skeptical as a kid, but still bought into it somewhat because I didn't know any other way.

09-06-2015, 06:33 PM
(07-06-2015 12:17 PM)TarzanSmith Wrote:  
(03-06-2015 07:41 PM)666wannabe Wrote:  When I first read your post, I thought you said that you always got "boned" in church.

Maybe he was an alter boy. Catholic church after all.

I was an altar boy. Maybe I'm repressing some terrible memories!
10-06-2015, 08:03 AM

I was raised Catholic too. For me, the faith was reinforced by belief in the devil and demons. I had my doubts about God. But I had none about the devil.

My fear of the devil was not about hell or eternal retribution. It was more immediate. The things he could do in the here and now.

I feared I would run into demons in dark places if I am alone. During those times, only belief in some other unearthly power on the same or superior level could calm me down.

I took to the concept of the guardian angels like fish to water. I felt wrapped in a protective embrace.

I was addicted to how God will ultimately defeat the devil. This belief generally left a wholesome feeling.

I occasionally had doubts about the whole system. But I could rationalize those as the work of the devil. That every Christian faced such "challenges".

Ultimately the doubts could no longer be satisfied and I broke off. It took me a good while to break off.

We have to remember that what we observe is not nature herself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning ~ Werner Heisenberg