A question for the Canadians primarily those in Quebec

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-09-2012, 10:53 PM
A question for the Canadians primarily those in Quebec
Noriko had an accident on friday; luckily she was ok, but if she wasn't, I, if anyone let me know, would not have many good contacts to get things situated. I don't even know the parents and could easily run into denial of entry at hospitals if it's anything like the US.

Being an LGBT activist I've heard plenty of horror stories from couples who have things go wrong due to a mixture of bias and not being married. What rights do canadians (especially those in quebec) not have without marriage in regards to their partner? What solutions exist for simplifying these things if marriage is not an option?

I've already been pushing it since it makes moving a lot cheaper, but since I'm very far away it really seems important to me that we have some sort of legal tie in case something happens. Are there still more common issues with being considered a partner for those outside of a hetero coupling in canada?

I'm hoping to get any information I can have so that I don't end up in the type of helpless situations I've heard of way too many times. Also, I'm trying to calm myself down so that every day I'm not constantly discussing the issue with Noriko. I don't want a wedding or anything, but I would really like it if the country felt we were a couple as opposed to acquaintances.

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-09-2012, 07:17 AM
RE: A question for the Canadians primarily those in Quebec
(29-09-2012 10:53 PM)Lilith Pride Wrote:  denial of entry at hospitals if it's anything like the US.

US hospitals with emergency rooms cannot refuse to treat an emergency. It's illegal to deny care in an emergency. If they did, you could sue the shit out of them. Google EMTALA . http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EMTALA

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
30-09-2012, 07:28 AM
(29-09-2012 10:53 PM)Lilith Pride Wrote:  Noriko had an accident on friday; luckily she was ok, but if she wasn't, I, if anyone let me know, would not have many good contacts to get things situated. I don't even know the parents and could easily run into denial of entry at hospitals if it's anything like the US.

Being an LGBT activist I've heard plenty of horror stories from couples who have things go wrong due to a mixture of bias and not being married. What rights do canadians (especially those in quebec) not have without marriage in regards to their partner? What solutions exist for simplifying these things if marriage is not an option?

I've already been pushing it since it makes moving a lot cheaper, but since I'm very far away it really seems important to me that we have some sort of legal tie in case something happens. Are there still more common issues with being considered a partner for those outside of a hetero coupling in canada?

I'm hoping to get any information I can have so that I don't end up in the type of helpless situations I've heard of way too many times. Also, I'm trying to calm myself down so that every day I'm not constantly discussing the issue with Noriko. I don't want a wedding or anything, but I would really like it if the country felt we were a couple as opposed to acquaintances.

You cannot be turned away from a US hospital with a life threatening illness.injury.Drinking Beverage

I would consult an attorney, you may need power of attorney if such a things exists there. If it works the same in Canada as the US by not being a relative you have no standing and regardless of how important you are to the patient, you will be treated as a friend, no decision making and if ill enough maybe no right to visit. Medical power of attorney would trump that.

The attorney can answer the questions properly and if there is a legally valid way to secure what you want they can set that up. good luck

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
30-09-2012, 07:32 AM (This post was last modified: 30-09-2012 07:44 AM by Lilith Pride.)
Not for the injured bucky, for the partner to visit. Visitation rights are restricted to family. If I'm not family I need a voucher to enter in the case of a coma or such. How did everyone miss what I was saying. I was saying if noriko got hurt not me. These kinds of responses that miss the point entirely are not helping the issue.... I really don't want to put on added pressure if I can avoid it.

thanks for answering but please read the question more carefully.

"Noriko had an accident on friday; luckily she was ok, but if she wasn't, I, if anyone let me know, would not have many good contacts to get things situated. I don't even know the parents and could easily run into denial of entry at hospitals if it's anything like the US.?

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
[+] 1 user Likes Lilith Pride's post
30-09-2012, 07:38 AM
(30-09-2012 07:32 AM)Lilith Pride Wrote:  Not for the injured bucky, for the partner to visit. VIsitation rights are restricted to family. If I'm not family I need a voucher to enter in the case of a coma or such. How did everyone miss what I was saying. I was saying if noriko got hurt not me. These kinds of responses that miss the point entirely are not helping the issue.... I really don't want to put on added pressure if I can avoid it.

thanks for answering but please read the question more carefully.

Noriko had an accident on friday; luckily she was ok, but if she wasn't, I, if anyone let me know, would not have many good contacts to get things situated. I don't even know the parents and could easily run into denial of entry at hospitals if it's anything like the US.

If you have power of attorney for her (medical), you make the calls, you are legally in charge of the situation, therefore you should have visitation rights of family, an attorney can let you know exactly what your rights and responsibilities are if Canada allows this set up. Of course she has to be comfortable for you making life and death decisions when she in unable to.

Power of attorney kicks in when the patient cannot make decisions which is the type of situation you are concerned about.

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
30-09-2012, 07:44 AM
I have a feeling that if she is uncomfortable with marriage that that would be pushing it. If someone isn't willing to marry I dont think they would sign themseles over to you fully in the case of a serious accident. Thanks for the suggestion. I just want to make sure that I am not completely helpless in situations where something happens. As it is now it is completely possible that I wouldn't even be notified.

Canada does not have issues with marriages of any gender so it's not that we can't marry, it's that she does not want to.

30-09-2012, 09:29 AM
I am from western Canada, and I think it can vary from province to province. Right now things are more or less the same, though. When my husband was in hospital care a few years ago I was asked several times if I was the wife and not 'just' common-law partner. They stressed that I couldn't be 'just' common-law. I think it's the same across the board for all relationships. I'm not sure if perhaps your partner and yourself could appoint eachother to be executor for the time being, if I were common-law I'd have looked into that.
30-09-2012, 03:44 PM
(30-09-2012 07:44 AM)Lilith Pride Wrote:  I have a feeling that if she is uncomfortable with marriage that that would be pushing it. If someone isn't willing to marry I dont think they would sign themseles over to you fully in the case of a serious accident. Thanks for the suggestion. I just want to make sure that I am not completely helpless in situations where something happens. As it is now it is completely possible that I wouldn't even be notified.

Have your partner write a memo describing precisely what access and authority they give you in the event of an emergency and have it notarized. Done deal in Canada, not so much in the teatarded States.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
30-09-2012, 05:52 PM
Thanks again, I'm asking a bit about it. Hopefully things work ok.