A question for theist

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-08-2014, 05:38 PM
RE: A question for theist
How are you defining time? Is it some sort of relationship that events have to each other? If time requires events, then couldn't God have existed without changing or causing anything? (i.e. no events)? Then God would have existed atemporally before creation, and temporally after, so God wouldn't have endured through an infinite amount of time.

“I must add... my gratitude to you for the attention with which you have listened to me, for, from my numerous observations, our Liberals are never capable of letting anyone else have a conviction of his own without at once meeting their opponent with abuse or even something worse.”
-Dostoevsky
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-08-2014, 05:56 PM
I don't like that explanation.. not that it can't be right but then how do you define "always" without "time". a little fun fact for a god to always have existed that would mean time of some kind{the way I think of it.} or the term always dose not apply... even then, there where how many years between the big bang and now... what was god doing then. I think starting with atlus games and then when the second return of Jesus ending his final run of zoo tycoon.{If anyone gets that joke please tell me.}

1. Striding and swaggering rootlessness without end. The precious flow of life.
2. one should fear sweet a blood stained flower.
08-08-2014, 11:03 AM
(07-08-2014 05:56 PM)kunoxian drive Wrote:  the way I think of it.

How are you thinking of time? What is your definition or view of time?

“I must add... my gratitude to you for the attention with which you have listened to me, for, from my numerous observations, our Liberals are never capable of letting anyone else have a conviction of his own without at once meeting their opponent with abuse or even something worse.”
-Dostoevsky
08-08-2014, 11:33 AM
basically time and space are a thing that make up the fabric of existence but according to the bible god has always existed thus there would need to be time above that. it's kinda weird that it says he always existed but before time..... then there would have to be time on top of that... I think of it like fate time in my novels.. one of the ones I haven't released... fate time ids the time of the hire beings. but i don't think god exist so i don't have to invoke it into my mind.

08-08-2014, 11:50 AM
(08-08-2014 11:33 AM)kunoxian drive Wrote:  basically time and space are a thing that make up the fabric of existence

So do you think time is similar to a 4th "dimension"? If so, then why couldn't God exist separately from it "before" creation, since at creation He would create both space and time?

-Dostoevsky
08-08-2014, 12:04 PM
mainly because of the description. to have "always" existed before time would require time... thus????........ Its a weird thing to think of because even if there is no future and there is no past there still would of have been a now. so god was doing what during that now. I mean he didn't just pop into existed. he's "always existed and a god would be boring or useless without reality. to have "always" existed before time is a contradiction... but I digress because there is no good answer.

08-08-2014, 12:24 PM
(08-08-2014 12:04 PM)kunoxian drive Wrote:  to have "always" existed before time is a contradiction...

Would you mind defining "always" and "time" for me, and then explicitly showing me the contradiction?

-Dostoevsky
08-08-2014, 12:31 PM
time= the fourth demention..... you can travel back and fourth through it supposibly.

always= every part of time= never not, no part of time that is not.

08-08-2014, 12:32 PM
Time and space are linked. One cannot exist without the other. So, if you want to say god existed before space, then it could not have existed because there was no time for it to exist. If you want to say it existed before time and space, then there was not time or place for it to exist.

How are you defining god and what are some characteristics of your god? For instance, does your god interact on the universe (cause of said universe), in the universe (like answering prayer), or both?

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
08-08-2014, 12:38 PM
I'm Athiest.... but the way I define god is a being who's power can do anything. like super mans ability to fly but not just limited to that. can do the impossible would also be a characteristic of this being. that is all that is required. but yeah would be the cause of existence in this case.