My comment was in reply to the theist

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes TheBeardedDude's post
08-08-2014, 03:36 PM
RE: A question for theist
I guess the question will just hang in limbo for a while then....

-Rick
08-08-2014, 05:11 PM
The assumptions given in the OP are that one God exists and that this God is the "uncaused cause of the universe." OP also defined "time" as "the fourth dimension."

Based on the definitions given, am I correct in assuming that the universe would be a 4-dimensional "block" of spacetime, and time is just our subjective experience of traveling through 3-dimensional "slices"? (this would be a static, or "B" theory of time, as opposed to a dynamic, or "A" theory of time http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A-series_and_B-series)

If that view of time is correct, then the initial assumption in the OP that God created 4-dimensional spacetime (the universe) entails that God existed apart from it, without space or time. I do not know what that would be like, or how it could happen, but to assume that God needs time or space to exist would contradict the assumption that God created the universe. I'm sure you disagree with the assumptions, given that you are an atheist, but for the purposes of this discussion that doesn't matter, we are assuming them to be true for the sake of argument.

I am working only from the assumptions that were given in the OP, I do not need to define what I mean by God anymore than the OP did, and I do not need to know whether or not God continues to interact in/on the universe or how He does it.

“I must add... my gratitude to you for the attention with which you have listened to me, for, from my numerous observations, our Liberals are never capable of letting anyone else have a conviction of his own without at once meeting their opponent with abuse or even something worse.”
-Dostoevsky
08-08-2014, 05:14 PM
Re: RE: A question for theist
(08-08-2014 05:11 PM)i_am_naught Wrote:  The assumptions given in the OP are that one God exists and that this God is the "uncaused cause of the universe." OP also defined "time" as "the fourth dimension."

Based on the definitions given, am I correct in assuming that the universe would be a 4-dimensional "block" of spacetime, and time is just our subjective experience of traveling through 3-dimensional "slices"? (this would be a static, or "B" theory of time, as opposed to a dynamic, or "A" theory of time http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A-series_and_B-series)

If that view of time is correct, then the initial assumption in the OP that God created 4-dimensional spacetime (the universe) entails that God existed apart from it, without space or time. I do not know what that would be like, or how it could happen, but to assume that God needs time or space to exist would contradict the assumption that God created the universe. I'm sure you disagree with the assumptions, given that you are an atheist, but for the purposes of this discussion that doesn't matter, we are assuming them to be true for the sake of argument.

I am working only from the assumptions that were given in the OP, I do not need to define what I mean by God anymore than the OP did, and I do not need to know whether or not God continues to interact in/on the universe or how He does it.
I'm not assuming anything. I need to know how to evaluate your god in order to know how to evaluate any god claims.

Please address my questions as opposed to dodging them

-Rick
08-08-2014, 05:27 PM
(08-08-2014 05:11 PM)i_am_naught Wrote:  The assumptions given in the OP are that one God exists and that this God is the "uncaused cause of the universe." OP also defined "time" as "the fourth dimension."

I assume you think i am not an atheist.???? but that dosen't matrer there would have to be time like fate tie.. not that I would believe on it. think of it this way . if god made a change in the universes and then changed it again. there would have to be time or a 5th dimension that he made his decision in... a.k.a fate time within my book. well the one that isn't out yet. also i don't believe in god due to the fact that there is no evidence for his existence.

1. Striding and swaggering rootlessness without end. The precious flow of life.
2. one should fear sweet a blood stained flower.
08-08-2014, 05:42 PM
(08-08-2014 05:14 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  I'm not assuming anything. I need to know how to evaluate your god in order to know how to evaluate any god claims.

I was responding to the OP and only used the assumptions he gave. I was not dodging your questions, they are simply irrelevant to the discussion.

I never actually claimed that God exists; for the sake of discussion I assumed He did (since that was an assumption that the OP gave) and only gave Him the characteristics that the OP did, I do not need to add to that for my conclusions in the last post to hold.

“I must add... my gratitude to you for the attention with which you have listened to me, for, from my numerous observations, our Liberals are never capable of letting anyone else have a conviction of his own without at once meeting their opponent with abuse or even something worse.”
-Dostoevsky
[+] 1 user Likes i_am_naught's post
08-08-2014, 05:45 PM
Re: RE: A question for theist
(08-08-2014 05:42 PM)i_am_naught Wrote:  
(08-08-2014 05:14 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  I'm not assuming anything. I need to know how to evaluate your god in order to know how to evaluate any god claims.

I was responding to the OP and only used the assumptions he gave. I was not dodging your questions, they are simply irrelevant to the discussion.

I never actually claimed that God exists; for the sake of discussion I assumed He did (since that was an assumption that the OP gave) and only gave Him the characteristics that the OP did, I do not need to add to that for my conclusions in the last post to hold.
If your conclusions are based on a fictious character, then sure. If you're implying your conclusions mean anything about reality then no.

-Rick