A question of protection.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-10-2014, 06:02 PM
A question of protection.
Hello!

Okay... so, laser pointers and targeters and such being about...

What things are about to help prevent combat people from getting a blinding eyefull of laser pointer?

Are there 'cheap' polarising glasses etc?

I just remember reading about such injuries quite a while back in my 'Cyberpunk' days and... now that we're here in the 'present future' with certain technologies actually in existence, (Considering there's a commercial laser pointer which will burn through thin plastic as a good distance... ) I'm just wondering about the state of affairs.

Much cheers to all.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-10-2014, 08:21 PM
RE: A question of protection.
(14-10-2014 06:02 PM)Peebothuhul Wrote:  Hello!

Okay... so, laser pointers and targeters and such being about...

What things are about to help prevent combat people from getting a blinding eyefull of laser pointer?

Are there 'cheap' polarising glasses etc?

I just remember reading about such injuries quite a while back in my 'Cyberpunk' days and... now that we're here in the 'present future' with certain technologies actually in existence, (Considering there's a commercial laser pointer which will burn through thin plastic as a good distance... ) I'm just wondering about the state of affairs.

Much cheers to all.

I know people who work in factories which have a lot of lasers are given protective eyewear, but I don't know if it would be enough to stop very high powered lasers. Fundamentally a laser is a light, but it's also very concentrated, so what I would imagine is some sort of system where your eyes are shielded entirely and you see with cameras in your eyewear instead.
Might be worth looking up military resources? I know there are pages about sonic warfare on a lot of military oriented sites now, but personally I've never looked at laser use outside of the missile defense system.

I'm pretty sure that the lasers used for weapon sights currently are not strong enough to cause eye damage though; many of them are not even visible without night vision goggles.

[Image: sigone_zps207cf92c.png]

Leonard Nimoy
1931-2015
Live long and prosper.
14-10-2014, 08:27 PM
Getting blinded by a laser pointer is the least of your worries..since in a combat situation those lasers are attached to guns. Doubt you'd even see them either since most of them are infrared.

"I don't have to have faith, I have experience." Joseph Campbell
14-10-2014, 09:27 PM
To grizzlysnake Offline and Cetaceaphile Online,

Thank you for the reply/thoughts.

I just remember reading some old 'Cyberpunk' tales where some of the 'Veterans' were using cybernetics to over come being blinded by the laser systems of the enemy.

I also think that in real life there are 'Rules of war' (?) Where it's supposedly 'Not the done thing' to deliberately use said laser devices to deliberately blind the enemy.

Indeed, the muti-pound munition following the trail/seeking the dot of a laser pointer is something to worry about (Not to mention that most modern battle field 'Direct fire' cannons use said devices for accurate range finding etc) is of concern...

But I'm just curious as to the 'wepaon-ization' of said laser systems?

I think having to wear the equivalent of 'Night sights' ALL the time would get wearying on a trooper. If that's pretty much the only way to keep one's sight intact...

Much cheers to all.,