A question that every theist should be asked

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-10-2014, 12:46 PM
RE: A question that every theist should be asked
(05-10-2014 09:20 AM)true scotsman Wrote:  
(05-10-2014 09:05 AM)grizzlysnake Wrote:  Just ask, "what is god to you?" You'll get a different answer every time, sometimes won't even hold to what their books says about it.
You could also ask how do they know if a fictional character from a book isn't real. Simple, the author made it up, but how? Is it a character merely from an authors imagination or is it a amalgam of life experiences of other people in an authors life? Fictional book usually have one author, the bible has several with different perspectives, culture, and times. Who is even speaking? It's just an unreliable mess.

Yes that is an excellent point. We don't have a million different definitions of electricity or trees or rocks because these things are objective. The fact that you get a different answer about who God is from every believer is pretty strong evidence that it only exists in the mind of believers. And they can't tell me how to distinguish it from something they are imagining they are admitting this fact.

Different answers are good evidence of humanity's arrogance.

Truth seeker.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-10-2014, 02:56 PM
(05-10-2014 12:46 PM)diddo97 Wrote:  
(05-10-2014 09:20 AM)true scotsman Wrote:  Yes that is an excellent point. We don't have a million different definitions of electricity or trees or rocks because these things are objective. The fact that you get a different answer about who God is from every believer is pretty strong evidence that it only exists in the mind of believers. And they can't tell me how to distinguish it from something they are imagining they are admitting this fact.

Non sequitur. Learn how to fucking think you bellend.

It is held that valour is the chiefest virtue and most dignifies the haver.
05-10-2014, 02:57 PM
(05-10-2014 02:56 PM)WhiskeyDebates Wrote:  
(05-10-2014 12:46 PM)diddo97 Wrote:  Different answers are good evidence of humanity's arrogance.

Non sequitur. Learn how to fucking think you bellend.

Goodness. You're making it look like you have no argument. Drinking Beverage

Truth seeker.
05-10-2014, 03:26 PM
Ive had this discussion many times and it all depends what you believe. If you believe in the supernatural then that will always somehow become the primary explanation for everything.

Way back when I used to believe in ghosts... If I heard a noise in the middle of the night I would immediately think it was a ghost. It was never the cat jumping around or a window still open... It was a ghost and I'd lay there scared trying to convince myself it was something mundane but i couldn't.

Nowadays I just know it's one of the cats and I just go back to sleep without a care in the world.

So yeah, for some ridiculous reason a supernatural explanation will always win over a rational explanation every time if that's what you want to believe.
05-10-2014, 07:36 PM (This post was last modified: 05-10-2014 07:48 PM by true scotsman.)
(05-10-2014 12:46 PM)diddo97 Wrote:  
(05-10-2014 09:20 AM)true scotsman Wrote:  Yes that is an excellent point. We don't have a million different definitions of electricity or trees or rocks because these things are objective. The fact that you get a different answer about who God is from every believer is pretty strong evidence that it only exists in the mind of believers. And they can't tell me how to distinguish it from something they are imagining they are admitting this fact.

Or as I said, evidence of the fact that gods only exist in the imagination. Actually Diddo I think that I have asked you the two questions in the OP and I don't recall your answer to them. What do you say. How can we reliably distinguish what you are calling "God" from something you are merely imagining?

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

Don't sacrifice for me, live for yourself! - Me

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick
[+] 1 user Likes true scotsman's post
05-10-2014, 07:48 PM
(05-10-2014 03:26 PM)TheStraightener Wrote:  Ive had this discussion many times and it all depends what you believe. If you believe in the supernatural then that will always somehow become the primary explanation for everything.

Way back when I used to believe in ghosts... If I heard a noise in the middle of the night I would immediately think it was a ghost. It was never the cat jumping around or a window still open... It was a ghost and I'd lay there scared trying to convince myself it was something mundane but i couldn't.

Nowadays I just know it's one of the cats and I just go back to sleep without a care in the world.

So yeah, for some ridiculous reason a supernatural explanation will always win over a rational explanation every time if that's what you want to believe.

It is sometimes really difficult to keep from filling in the blanks with subjective speculation. Rationalization is an easy trap to fall into. Last year my son and I saw an honest to goodness UFO. I know it was no plane or helicopter or flare. I had to really be diligent and not start claiming that I saw a spaceship from another planet. I had to remind myself over and over that all I could say was that I saw something unusual that I couldn't explain. I think that "filling in the gaps" is hard wired into us.

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick
05-10-2014, 08:15 PM
I like to take the same angle.

"Ok, I've just created an imaginary god that has all the same properties of your god. If they are identical then that means your god is also imaginary."

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
05-10-2014, 08:42 PM
(05-10-2014 08:15 PM)Rahn127 Wrote:  I like to take the same angle.

"Ok, I've just created an imaginary god that has all the same properties of your god. If they are identical then that means your god is also imaginary."

lolwhut? So if I think up something identical to you, it means you don't exist?

Truth seeker.
05-10-2014, 10:26 PM
(05-10-2014 07:36 PM)true scotsman Wrote:  
(05-10-2014 12:46 PM)diddo97 Wrote:  Different answers are good evidence of humanity's arrogance.

Or as I said, evidence of the fact that gods only exist in the imagination. Actually Diddo I think that I have asked you the two questions in the OP and I don't recall your answer to them. What do you say. How can we reliably distinguish what you are calling "God" from something you are merely imagining?

Why won't you answer the question Diddo?

05-10-2014, 10:34 PM
(05-10-2014 02:57 PM)diddo97 Wrote:  
(05-10-2014 02:56 PM)WhiskeyDebates Wrote:  Non sequitur. Learn how to fucking think you bellend.

Goodness. You're making it look like you have no argument. Drinking Beverage

My word you are exceptionally stupid.

You making a groundless fucking assertion that because people who believe in god can't seem to get a single fucking "fact" about him consistently right is evidence not that it's a fictional entity but that mankind is arrogant and me pointing out that that is a motherfucking non sequitur IS an argument you complete utter retard.
Which by the way you didn't address at all. Like fucking usual. So I stand by my argument and by my statement that you need to learn to fucking think or at the very least replace whoever is reading and typing these posts out for your illiterate ass because they aren't doing you any damn favors.

As always, go suck on the end of a loaded shotgun you documented fruad.

Love,
Whiskey

It is held that valour is the chiefest virtue and most dignifies the haver.