A question that every theist should be asked

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-10-2014, 06:02 PM (This post was last modified: 07-10-2014 06:10 PM by Can_of_Beans.)
RE: A question that every theist should be asked
(07-10-2014 04:24 PM)cjlr Wrote:  
(07-10-2014 02:25 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  ... so I'd love to hear about people who are atheists after having first having been tithing Christians. Could be interesting.

The personal experiences of such people are literally all over the internet.

Protip: the man who owns this website wrote a whole book about it.

Silly atheists...just because there's no earthly reward for tithing doesn't mean there's no benefit. You're storing up treasure in heaven where it's safe from fire, moths, thieves, taxes, inflation, market uncertainty, bad investment advice, accounting scandals, and Barack Obama.

But before you donate to just any church, keep in mind that only the Church of SubGenius gives an explicit guarantee. "Eternal salvation or triple your money back!"

Thumbsup

"I feel as though the camera is almost a kind of voyeur in Mr. Beans life, and you just watch this bizarre man going about his life in the way that he wants to."

-Rowan Atkinson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-10-2014, 06:37 PM
So if tithing is necessary, I guess Christian hobos are shit out a luck? Can he give 10% of his garbage grub?
07-10-2014, 07:14 PM
(07-10-2014 02:25 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  
(05-10-2014 08:00 AM)true scotsman Wrote:  If you want to get right to the heart of the issue with theists ask them how one can reliably distinguish between what they are calling "God" and something they may be simply imagining. Actually there is a follow up question as well: if something is indistinguishable from something that is only imaginary, isn't it imaginary?

I've yet to get a cogent answer to this question from a theist. What I get is anger which tells me I've really hit home.

I'm sorry you've gotten unclear answers or anger in the past. I would say I had some notions about God but then read the Bible and explored. The Bible was not a product of my imagination but either products of others' imaginations, 100% true cover-to-cover, or somewhere in between. The Bible offers tests so one can verify.

Since I began I'd say I've had many answers/responses from God that I know come from God because they fit the Bible. The Bible has some "do this, then that will happen" tests that one may employ.

For example, I haven't imagined giving away money (tithing/offering) to have my living and financial needs met--rather than spending my money to have my mere living needs met. One is natural, one is unnatural or if you like, supernatural.

I'd heard growing up (many millennia ago now as you'd reckon it in your Earth years) that The Q use the hypothesis method of assuming something might or could be true, then testing it, then confirming or moving on. God offers tests for seekers. Again, I find that the giving away of dollars leads to return dollars so I put my "money where my mouth is".

Have you done the same? Tested the Lord per the Bible's standards? Please, not the (as I hear it often from atheists) "There is no God because He didn't answer my prayer for a family member to get well when I was five years old" unless you can also add the Bible standards of fervent prayer, praying per God's will, praying while having faith, etc. I know these three are beyond the reach of most of those on this forum at present (!) - I say that respectfully, you don't want to do those three things - so I'd love to hear about people who are atheists after having first having been tithing Christians. Could be interesting.

Thank you for your reply Q. I'm not sure though how that would work. I currently meet my financial needs by working. If my income were to increase after starting to tithe, how would I know it was because of the tithing and not my hard work and quality product and great customer service that resulted in my good fortune. Also if I believed it was a result of the tithing, I'd still have no choice but to imagine this as the cause?

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

Don't sacrifice for me, live for yourself! - Me

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick
07-10-2014, 08:33 PM
(05-10-2014 10:26 PM)true scotsman Wrote:  
(05-10-2014 07:36 PM)true scotsman Wrote:  Or as I said, evidence of the fact that gods only exist in the imagination. Actually Diddo I think that I have asked you the two questions in the OP and I don't recall your answer to them. What do you say. How can we reliably distinguish what you are calling "God" from something you are merely imagining?

Why won't you answer the question Diddo?

1. If someone refuses to answer a valid question, it means they know that an honest answer will harm their position.

2. Diddo97 has refused twice to answer valid questions.

3. Therefore Diddo97 knows that an honest answer will harm his position and that is why he is evading.

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick
[+] 2 users Like true scotsman's post
07-10-2014, 08:55 PM
(07-10-2014 08:33 PM)true scotsman Wrote:  
(05-10-2014 10:26 PM)true scotsman Wrote:  Why won't you answer the question Diddo?

1. If someone refuses to answer a valid question, it means they know that an honest answer will harm their position.

3. Therefore Diddo97 knows that an honest answer will harm his position and that is why he is evading.

Sorry. Give me your questions and I will answer. Drinking Beverage

Truth seeker.
07-10-2014, 09:31 PM
(07-10-2014 08:55 PM)diddo97 Wrote:  
(07-10-2014 08:33 PM)true scotsman Wrote:  1. If someone refuses to answer a valid question, it means they know that an honest answer will harm their position.

Sorry. Give me your questions and I will answer. Drinking Beverage

How can we reliably distinguish between What a theist calls "God" and something he may merely be imagining? If something is indistinguishable from something that is imaginary, isn't it imaginary?

07-10-2014, 09:52 PM
(07-10-2014 09:31 PM)true scotsman Wrote:  
(07-10-2014 08:55 PM)diddo97 Wrote:  Sorry. Give me your questions and I will answer. Drinking Beverage

How can we reliably distinguish between What a theist calls "God" and something he may merely be imagining? If something is indistinguishable from something that is imaginary, isn't it imaginary?

Because God is an ultimate being, which must exist.

Truth seeker.
07-10-2014, 09:54 PM
(07-10-2014 09:52 PM)diddo97 Wrote:  
(07-10-2014 09:31 PM)true scotsman Wrote:  How can we reliably distinguish between What a theist calls "God" and something he may merely be imagining? If something is indistinguishable from something that is imaginary, isn't it imaginary?

Congratulations cuntcake that in no way answers either question. You are getting to obvious and repetitive diddo, soon no one will wanna play your game and where will you get your attention from then? Neighborhood priest perhaps?Drinking Beverage

When valour preys on reason, it eats the sword it fights with.
[+] 1 user Likes WhiskeyDebates's post
07-10-2014, 09:57 PM
(07-10-2014 09:52 PM)diddo97 Wrote:  
(07-10-2014 09:31 PM)true scotsman Wrote:  How can we reliably distinguish between What a theist calls "God" and something he may merely be imagining? If something is indistinguishable from something that is imaginary, isn't it imaginary?

That does not answer the question. I asked for a reliable method. "Diddo says so" is not a reliable method to determine the imaginary from the real.

[+] 2 users Like true scotsman's post
07-10-2014, 10:05 PM
(07-10-2014 09:54 PM)WhiskeyDebates Wrote:  
(07-10-2014 09:52 PM)diddo97 Wrote:  Because God is an ultimate being, which must exist.

Congratulations cuntcake that in no way answers either question. You are getting to obvious and repetitive diddo, soon no one will wanna play your game and where will you get your attention from then? Neighborhood priest perhaps?Drinking Beverage

I have to tell you WhiskeyDebates that I am a person who very rarely uses curse words but your creative use of them makes me laugh out loud. Thanks for causing me to spray diet pepsi through my nose and onto the keyboard.

[+] 1 user Likes true scotsman's post