A question to my religious friends

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-03-2011, 11:05 AM
A question to my religious friends
Obviously not here - but I've taken a bit of a beating on Facebook recently and wanted to throw this out to them - maybe you have a similar line questioning...

http://centersolid.blogspot.com/2011/03/...right.html

"Like" my Facebook page
Brain Droppings Blog
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT16Rq3dAcHhqiAsPC5xUC...oR0pEpxQZw]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-03-2011, 12:51 AM
RE: A question to my religious friends
(06-03-2011 11:05 AM)Seasbury Wrote:  Obviously not here - but I've taken a bit of a beating on Facebook recently and wanted to throw this out to them - maybe you have a similar line questioning...

http://centersolid.blogspot.com/2011/03/...right.html
Nice blog. That's been a sore subject with me as well. Had a truck driver at work trying to tell me voting tea party was a good idea. He had the same disdain for facts that you mention right before you show off the graphs. What is up with the popular right's complete ignoring of facts? And why are us poor people constantly blamed and shamed?

Something something something Dark Side
Something something something complete
Find all posts by this user
07-03-2011, 03:00 AM
(06-03-2011 11:05 AM)Seasbury Wrote:  I've taken a bit of a beating on Facebook recently

Christians cannot accept facts that make them question their religion. Any christian who will look at the facts is already questioning his/her religion. Because their belief is of high importance to them and facts are not, many will retaliate if you challenge them to think about their belief.

It is not the ones who retaliate that will make your writing worth while. It is the ones that ["READ"] your articles that will be the greatest triumph for you. Most of these readers you will never know about, ever. Some will contact or meet you and tell you what affect you had on them them. This will be very satisfying. For each person who you meet that is influenced by you, there will be many you don't know about. Each of those people can influence others.

You are a very good writer and I hope you keep up the good work.

When I find myself in times of trouble, Richard Dawkins comes to me, speaking words of reason, now I see, now I see.
07-03-2011, 04:02 AM
(07-03-2011 03:00 AM)No J. Wrote:  
(06-03-2011 11:05 AM)Seasbury Wrote:  I've taken a bit of a beating on Facebook recently

Christians cannot accept facts that make them question their religion. Any christian who will look at the facts is already questioning his/her religion. Because their belief is of high importance to them and facts are not, many will retaliate if you challenge them to think about their belief.

It is not the ones who retaliate that will make your writing worth while. It is the ones that ["READ"] your articles that will be the greatest triumph for you. Most of these readers you will never know about, ever. Some will contact or meet you and tell you what affect you had on them them. This will be very satisfying. For each person who you meet that is influenced by you, there will be many you don't know about. Each of those people can influence others.

You are a very good writer and I hope you keep up the good work.

No. J - Thanks very much! I'm glad you enjoy the articles - like I said, it's cathartic for me Smile

Here's the funny thing - I rarely put up anything religious on Facebook (besides the links to my blog)...All these negative comments come from ultra-religious friends (actually acquaintances that I went to high school with some 30 years ago) when I post on issues like fairness in dealing with unions, on marriage equality, or simple economic issues and taxes.

I can see where marriage equality is a hot button issue with the religious right, but I can't see how they align themselves as the staunch defenders of cutting taxes on the rich and killing unions.

cfhmagnet - thanks for reading! I agree - it is absolutely mind boggling how the working poor (can we even them a middle class? I guess it's possible, but by all definitions, the middle class is so much closer to the poverty line than the wealthy line) can align themselves with politicians and policies that are inherently designed to screw them.

"Like" my Facebook page
Brain Droppings Blog
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT16Rq3dAcHhqiAsPC5xUC...oR0pEpxQZw]
07-03-2011, 07:11 AM
(07-03-2011 12:51 AM)cfhmagnet Wrote:  What is up with the popular right's complete ignoring of facts?

Who needs facts when you have anger and righteousness on your side?

(07-03-2011 12:51 AM)cfhmagnet Wrote:  And why are us poor people constantly blamed and shamed?

Because they don't have a good lobby. There was a great moment in the wake of the financial disaster where paid-for expert after paid-for export testified before Congress how the root cause of the problem was that the US government pushed policies that allowed poor, mostly black, people who previously could not afford houses buy into the market. Seriously, these "experts" testified that was the problem. The sad thing is that people believe that and somehow equate the banks who actually caused all this, made billions while doing so, as victims.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
08-03-2011, 06:40 PM

Corporations can afford effective propaganda. Fox news is the most watch news in the country and it's used to spead Republican talking points. Imagine a country where people rise up against Healthcare for the people. Americans are duped into thinking it's a fight for "Freedom". No it's not. It's about a fight for affordable Healthcare. It doesn't help that the Democrats are a bunch of pussys that wither under any kind of critisism. The left is so concerned about being percieved as fair that they stretch to create false equality between Rational & irrational. e.g. Healthcare vs Death panels. Global warming science vs a few corporate paid descenters. Evolution vs creationists. Just to name a few.
Quote this message in a reply
08-03-2011, 11:32 PM
(07-03-2011 07:11 AM)BnW Wrote:  Who needs facts when you have anger and righteousness on your side?

Or a chalkboard! There are many who think that, if Glenn writes it on his chalkboard, then it is necessarily a fact.

(06-03-2011 11:05 AM)Seasbury Wrote:  http://centersolid.blogspot.com/2011/03/...right.html

@Seasbury: I liked your blog post. It was an interesting read.
I don't know of any religious conservatives that are willing to have open discussions. That doesn't mean that they don't exist - I just can't think of any.
21-03-2011, 02:06 PM (This post was last modified: 21-03-2011 02:23 PM by TrainWreck.)
(06-03-2011 11:05 AM)Seasbury Wrote:  Obviously not here - but I've taken a bit of a beating on Facebook recently and wanted to throw this out to them - maybe you have a similar line questioning...
So, what is your solution to the problem - just whine about how stupid they are, and maybe they will change?

I hope you are not promoting a political agenda, or that atheists are smarter than theists, because I'll blow you out of the water on those points. So, what are you getting at?

Oh, I see, it's here at the end - you should have posted this part in your opening of this discussion.
Seasbury blog Wrote:So here's my question to my religious conservative friends: How do you square the knot in your ideological outlook between Christian charity and compassion for your fellow human beings (or at least countrymen and women) and your desire to fuel the income gap in America? I don't recall Jesus teaching that Rome should cut the capital gains taxes on the wealthy so that the poor will do better. I'm not trying to be confrontational, or even disrespectful when I say I find the disconnect at worst delusional, and at best hypocritical. It would seem that Jesus saying "blessed are the poor" is maybe the driving force - by making more poor people, we are in effect "saving" more people for heaven?

If you were atheist titans of Wall Street and had this worldview I could understand it 100%. But you hold to a Christian standard that is supposedly, and maybe I've been away for to long and the bible has changed a bit, to love and care for your fellow man (and woman), but your actions, and words don't seem to square with that philosophy. So What Exactly Would Jesus Do about all this?
Christians do not want the government deciding how to redistribute the money, because government gives it out with out making sure the recipients are acting responsibly with it. So the Christians would rather give the money to charity, and then let the charity verify the recipients' need and responsibilities.

Think you're ready for an open discussion about how brilliant atheists are - think you got your facts straight?

Humanism - ontological doctrine that posits that humans define reality
Theism - ontological doctrine that posits a supernatural entity creates and defines reality
Atheism - political doctrine opposed to theist doctrine in public policy
I am right, and you are wrong - I hope you die peacefullyCool
22-03-2011, 12:14 AM
(21-03-2011 02:06 PM)TrainWreck Wrote:  Christians do not want the government deciding how to redistribute the money, because government gives it out with out making sure the recipients are acting responsibly with it. So the Christians would rather give the money to charity, and then let the charity verify the recipients' need and responsibilities.

Think you're ready for an open discussion about how brilliant atheists are - think you got your facts straight?

If you look at how wealthy many churches have become it is easy to see that they keep most of the money. In some cases the churches are so filthy rich that it is impossible to even imagine them giving any money away.

They don't want the government redistributing it, they want to keep it for themselves.

When I find myself in times of trouble, Richard Dawkins comes to me, speaking words of reason, now I see, now I see.
22-03-2011, 02:51 AM
(21-03-2011 02:06 PM)TrainWreck Wrote:  Christians do not want the government deciding how to redistribute the money, because government gives it out with out making sure the recipients are acting responsibly with it.
Who are you that you actually know the reason why money is kept? Think you got your facts straight?

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.