A quick fix on the ray-fined fish Bichir.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-06-2014, 08:28 PM
A quick fix on the ray-fined fish Bichir.
Bichir is a very interesting fish. It is in the subclass chondrostei, which is ray-fined fish with cartilage. This is odd because it is in the superclass Osteichthyes, which is also known as bony fish. Its cartilage is not the only strange thing about this fish. This fish reminds me of this fish.

[Image: 220px-Panderichthys.jpg]

There is a reason why this is.

First this whole family has lungs. That is right, this fish is able to breath air like lungfish. It can also breath underwater.

Not only that but it shares a convergent evolution with tetrapodamorpha. It it has fleshy pectoral fins and even the jaw is similar to that of tetrapods.

This fish first appeared in the cretaceous period.

This fish may in fact be a important fish in science. Why? Because it can give us an idea on how primitive fishapods would behave. Look back to the panderichthys picture above and then watch this video:

This fishes behavior can give us some insight on tetrapod evolution.

Well thats it. Remember this fish family, Bichir.

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Metazoa Zeke's post
15-06-2014, 09:22 PM
RE: A quick fix on the ray-fined fish Bichir.
That is very cool! The thing I found interesting about it is, his fins almost don't seem to behave like the fins of "fish" rather... more like flippers or arms.

Hmm... Consider and he has lungs, huh?

Very interesting, indeed!! Thumbsup

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
15-06-2014, 09:23 PM
(15-06-2014 09:22 PM)kim Wrote:  That is very cool! The thing I found interesting about it is, his fins almost don't seem to behave like the fins of "fish" rather... more like flippers or arms.

Hmm... Consider and he has lungs, huh?

Very interesting, indeed!! Thumbsup

I think this may lead to a evolution to a new super class of animals like tetrapods.

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
[+] 1 user Likes Metazoa Zeke's post
15-06-2014, 11:12 PM
What was it like prior to how it is now? Is there a visual difference? Is there a reason it has lungs... and how did they develop? Did it ever have gills? What made it not have gills? And what about those flipper/fins....?

Something else I also noticed, it has a really long body. It kind of reminds me of those fish that "walk" to another lake when their own starts drying up - they have a really long body, too and their fins kind of operate in a similar fashion.
Here's a walking catfish...
[Image: Clarias_batrachus.jpg]
... these guys are pretty creepy.

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
16-06-2014, 04:11 AM
(15-06-2014 11:12 PM)kim Wrote:  What was it like prior to how it is now? Is there a visual difference? Is there a reason it has lungs... and how did they develop? Did it ever have gills? What made it not have gills? And what about those flipper/fins....?

Something else I also noticed, it has a really long body. It kind of reminds me of those fish that "walk" to another lake when their own starts drying up - they have a really long body, too and their fins kind of operate in a similar fashion.
Here's a walking catfish...
[Image: Clarias_batrachus.jpg]
... these guys are pretty creepy.

This also destroys that stupid argument where they go, "how did fish first walk on land, run out of the water then run back into water when they ran out of breath?"

[+] 1 user Likes Metazoa Zeke's post
16-06-2014, 10:08 AM
The fish in the vid seems to be new to the aquarium - typical swimming behavior for that. It would be nice to see one acting naturally... after being acclimated.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
16-06-2014, 10:28 AM
(16-06-2014 10:08 AM)Dom Wrote:  The fish in the vid seems to be new to the aquarium - typical swimming behavior for that. It would be nice to see one acting naturally... after being acclimated.

Have yet to find one yet but I am looking.