A rant about my life

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-12-2014, 05:17 AM
RE: A rant about my life
... I don't understand? I really don't. It is illegal to just buy and sell stuff? Here in SA any person can start a business no problem. You deal in your own name. Government starts to get interested if you're making loadsa cash but you know, simple small businesses like a market garden or something like that aren't a problem - you just buy stuff, sell it, run the business from your home...

Having said that, entrepreneurship is hardly an easy route to money. But given your constraints, that you don't wanna work for a boss... seems like something worth checking out.

How about caring for brats? Au pairing? I mean, sure, maybe not make helluva lot of cash but ja, is a job which doesn't require particular skills. Personal assistant? Would require work for boss but if you found the right boss might be quite nice job - tend to be decent pay, and English degree would be useful as a foot in the door.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
13-12-2014, 08:59 AM
(13-12-2014 05:17 AM)morondog Wrote:  ... I don't understand? I really don't. It is illegal to just buy and sell stuff? Here in SA any person can start a business no problem. You deal in your own name. Government starts to get interested if you're making loadsa cash but you know, simple small businesses like a market garden or something like that aren't a problem - you just buy stuff, sell it, run the business from your home...

Having said that, entrepreneurship is hardly an easy route to money. But given your constraints, that you don't wanna work for a boss... seems like something worth checking out.

How about caring for brats? Au pairing? I mean, sure, maybe not make helluva lot of cash but ja, is a job which doesn't require particular skills. Personal assistant? Would require work for boss but if you found the right boss might be quite nice job - tend to be decent pay, and English degree would be useful as a foot in the door.

No, no, it's not illegal to sell stuff online, but since the taxation is similar to owning a business, you still have to pay a lot in taxes and it's not even worth it if you want to sell a few pieces of jewelry. They don't check websites much and many people have online shops without paying taxes, but I'm too afraid to risk that.

Oh, like baby sitting? Well, that does require some skills that I do not have (and it's also one of the reasons I couldn't stand teaching little kids). I can't handle kids. I don't have the patience for it and I can't be nice when I'm angry. And well, I don't know CPR. I don't know, I almost have a phobia about someone leaving their kid to me and the kid choking or dying or something.

As a personal assistant, I'd be useless. Back in my previous job, I had some "secretary duties". That stuff requires fluency, being organized, being social and taking initiatives. I suck at all that. I really do.

What I'd be awesome in is transcribing texts, translating, editing photos, or any kind of manual work like scanning papers, printing, stuff like that. But no one ever asks for that. Even when they do, they require working experience. Even for just printing.

"Behind every great pirate, there is a great butt."
-Guybrush Threepwood-
13-12-2014, 02:05 PM
OK so we're getting somewhere. You're keen for an office job as like some kinda secretaryish type person, just not as a PA? I mean, that means you'll be on the corporate ladder to nowhere but... problem is as you say, not a particularly skilled job and too many people already in the job market for it.

One thing: in a job market where stuff's gone to shit, it's all about your connections. You need to put the word out to friends, uncles, whoever - nepotism for the win. A lot of companies will prefer hiring someone's friend to going the whole route of advertising, CVs etc, 'cos the friend can vouch for you. It beats hiring a nobody.

Other thing, really, you can't be too picky. Sure, maybe you hate kids, or you hate some aspect of a job, but... it's a low wage, low skill job. There's *gonna* be shit you hate about it no matter what. Unless you can somehow invest in more education and aim for a better paid job from the outset?

That's *why* own business or freelancing is good - at least you choose your poison. Can you not find a freelance translation service to join? I know there are many and lotsa competition, but they might send you jobs once in a while but again, better than nothing. If you can prove you're good, will be used by them more often.

(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
13-12-2014, 02:40 PM
(13-12-2014 02:05 PM)morondog Wrote:  OK so we're getting somewhere. You're keen for an office job as like some kinda secretaryish type person, just not as a PA? I mean, that means you'll be on the corporate ladder to nowhere but... problem is as you say, not a particularly skilled job and too many people already in the job market for it.

Yeah, I wouldn't mind any office job where I won't have huge responsibilities and contact with people. I also can't take initiatives, I'm perfect for a job where I'm asked to work "automatically", like, repeatedly doing some manual work.

(13-12-2014 02:05 PM)morondog Wrote:  One thing: in a job market where stuff's gone to shit, it's all about your connections. You need to put the word out to friends, uncles, whoever - nepotism for the win. A lot of companies will prefer hiring someone's friend to going the whole route of advertising, CVs etc, 'cos the friend can vouch for you. It beats hiring a nobody.

I've done that. My grandma's family is pretty huge and she's made some phone calls, letting everyone know I need a job. There were quite a few times I almost got a job from friends or relatives, but it never happened in the end. And as I said, most of my friends are actually trying to find a job themselves.

(13-12-2014 02:05 PM)morondog Wrote:  Other thing, really, you can't be too picky. Sure, maybe you hate kids, or you hate some aspect of a job, but... it's a low wage, low skill job. There's *gonna* be shit you hate about it no matter what. Unless you can somehow invest in more education and aim for a better paid job from the outset?

Of course, I can put up with many things that many people can't. I can work in shitty environments, dark rooms without windows, with annoying colleagues, long hours, with deadlines, for very little money, and I don't mind feeling tired.
The only things I can't stand in a job are:
-Having to talk to customers.
-Advertising something.
-Having a shitty boss.
-Dealing with kids.
-Taking initiatives.

Am I too picky? I don't know Sad

I'm not planning to invest in postgraduate studies or anything because in my field, they're pretty useless. I am, however, trying to learn more languages in order to get certificates in case I can land a job in translation more easily.

(13-12-2014 02:05 PM)morondog Wrote:  That's *why* own business or freelancing is good - at least you choose your poison. Can you not find a freelance translation service to join? I know there are many and lotsa competition, but they might send you jobs once in a while but again, better than nothing. If you can prove you're good, will be used by them more often.

My biggest problem with businesses and freelancing is taxation. It's too risky. New taxes are voted for almost every two months here, so when you start a business or something, you can never know if you'll have to pay more than you're planning to. Most freelancers actually work illegally trying to avoid paying taxes, and I don't blame them. They have to pay a standard amount in tax, no matter if they've made money that year or not.

I can't expect to find a job in translation (except if that guy my boyfriend knows considers hiring me) because as I said, the market is full of fluent English speakers (employers also prefer people with a degree in translation, rather than English).

Back when I chose to study English, I was hoping to work in a public school. I had no idea things would get so bad and that those positions would become fewer and fewer. My degree is meant to be used for teaching English, becoming a university teacher or specializing in linguistics or English literature. I really did want to go to translation school, but I was too bored to remember my French and the school wasn't in Athens.

So I'm pretty much left with a degree that's rather useless to me now.

-Guybrush Threepwood-
13-12-2014, 03:04 PM
Hum... I wonder.

So OK, in Greece, translation is a hard gig to pull off. What about something else - something like working for an online language school? Giving people from elsewhere lessons on how to speak Greek? There might exist such people who would like to learn, they might be willing to pay for e.g. lessons over skype?

Internet is an interesting thing - changes the shape of what you can do... you can think about possibly working for someone from overseas...

We're focussing very much on the English degree and the translation... but job doesn't have to be anything to do with those things. We've also mentioned ability to work in lousy workplace environments, desire to do office work - documents etc... we need to list absolutely everything that could be considered a skill, including stuff like punctuality and neat handwriting - everything counts.

As to being too picky, I kinda think you are Wink Like I said, there *will* be something wrong with just about every job you might be able to get - that's the nature of crappy low wage jobs Sad It's a question of deciding if it's an absolute deal breaker or if you could put up with it for a while (no job is a life sentence, you can always walk out).

Have you heard of Amazon Mechanical Turk? If not, google it right now! NOW!

13-12-2014, 03:27 PM
(13-12-2014 03:04 PM)morondog Wrote:  Hum... I wonder.

So OK, in Greece, translation is a hard gig to pull off. What about something else - something like working for an online language school? Giving people from elsewhere lessons on how to speak Greek? There might exist such people who would like to learn, they might be willing to pay for e.g. lessons over skype?

Internet is an interesting thing - changes the shape of what you can do... you can think about possibly working for someone from overseas...

We're focussing very much on the English degree and the translation... but job doesn't have to be anything to do with those things. We've also mentioned ability to work in lousy workplace environments, desire to do office work - documents etc... we need to list absolutely everything that could be considered a skill, including stuff like punctuality and neat handwriting - everything counts.

As to being too picky, I kinda think you are Wink Like I said, there *will* be something wrong with just about every job you might be able to get - that's the nature of crappy low wage jobs Sad It's a question of deciding if it's an absolute deal breaker or if you could put up with it for a while (no job is a life sentence, you can always walk out).

Have you heard of Amazon Mechanical Turk? If not, google it right now! NOW!

I've looked at teaching foreign people before, but again, in all websites I checked, the people who were already there were much more qualified than me and they had all those stars and shit. I know, I know, you gotta start somewhere but how can I compete with people who have been teaching for years?
HOWEVER, if anyone in here wants to learn Greek, I'm totally available Tongue

I actually have many little useful skills. Perfect spelling and grammar in Greek, taking good photographs, drawing pretty damn good, typing really fast without looking at the keyboard, video editing aaaaaaaaand I can't think of something else right now. But see, most of these are pretty useless if they're not accompanied by the corresponding degree or certificate.

As for being too picky, I definitely cannot stand bad bosses. I see it as a health issue, that previous job was a real nightmare. I couldn't sleep well at night because I had some kind of anxiety attacks that woke me up. I was extremely stressed 24/7. I don't care if it's not gonna be my whole life, even one month would be too much for me. Having to face a shitty boss to say I quit in one month is equally terrifying. As for talking to people, I'm so socially awkward that I would definitely fail to do my job properly. I get stressed and then I make mistakes.

Only the thought of having a shitty boss or having to talk to people makes me nervous. I do have some anxiety issues.

And that website looks interesting! Ohmy I need to see how it works. If it is what I think it is, it should be awesome. Thanks! Smile

-Guybrush Threepwood-
13-12-2014, 03:46 PM
Have you considered leaving Greece altogether?

I like the idea of starting a business of your own, but from what I've read in this thread and in articles elsewhere, Greece seems like it's very hostile to entrepreneurs with all of the taxes, licenses, regulations and protectionist policies that limit rather than encourage competition.

The way I see it, none of us owe our countries anything beyond our minimum tax liability. It will take years to turn things around, you aren't obligated to wait for that to happen and there are plenty of other countries looking for English teachers.

http://www.internationalteflacademy.com/...ad-in-2014

"I feel as though the camera is almost a kind of voyeur in Mr. Beans life, and you just watch this bizarre man going about his life in the way that he wants to."

-Rowan Atkinson
[+] 1 user Likes Can_of_Beans's post
13-12-2014, 03:48 PM
(13-12-2014 03:27 PM)undergroundp Wrote:  I'm totally available Tongue

Well, not totally. We'll have to do something about that boyfriend first. Tongue

"I feel as though the camera is almost a kind of voyeur in Mr. Beans life, and you just watch this bizarre man going about his life in the way that he wants to."

-Rowan Atkinson
[+] 2 users Like Can_of_Beans's post
13-12-2014, 04:22 PM
Teach in another country. Teach english and/or greek. My friend taught english in a couple of countries (Guam & Italy) where he didn't speak the language and didn't really know the subject matter he was teaching. He got paid, was able to save money, beefed up his resume... best of all: he saw the world.

You are 25. Don't wait until you are twice your age to find out you need to see the world.

ps. ... money sucks everywhere. Drinking Beverage

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
13-12-2014, 04:31 PM
(13-12-2014 03:46 PM)Can_of_Beans Wrote:  Have you considered leaving Greece altogether?

I like the idea of starting a business of your own, but from what I've read in this thread and in articles elsewhere, Greece seems like it's very hostile to entrepreneurs with all of the taxes, licenses, regulations and protectionist policies that limit rather than encourage competition.

The way I see it, none of us owe our countries anything beyond our minimum tax liability. It will take years to turn things around, you aren't obligated to wait for that to happen and there are plenty of other countries looking for English teachers.

http://www.internationalteflacademy.com/...ad-in-2014

I knew someone would mention that, and I have actually considered it. It's just a huge step, a last resort and something very hard for a person like me. I get homesick easily.

It would also have to be for a short period of time (that is, not too many years) because I'm not really planning on living the rest of my life somewhere else.

Now, another problem is that I couldn't leave the country without my boyfriend. I spent a year in my hometown working and it was only 4 hours away from Athens, but it was really hard for us. As I've mentioned before, it's not easy for him to take such risks and possibly losing his licence (especially since he could probably retire in 2-3 years because of his multiple sclerosis).

So yeah, it's not one of our immediate plans.

-Guybrush Threepwood-