A rant to STEM students

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
14-03-2014, 10:29 AM
RE: A rant to STEM students
(14-03-2014 10:11 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  I've heard the same thing, but to specifically note the high rate of creationist engineers. I'd always wondered if it was linked to them study how to design and build things, and just assuming everything was designed and built. Basically, the essence of the watchmaker argument.

I could easily believe that a factor.

But also that people simply don't generalise "scientific" attitudes, and in training to be an engineer most of the more immediately relevant fields (evolutionary and geological history, say) simply aren't touched on.

... this is my signature!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes cjlr's post
14-03-2014, 10:39 AM (This post was last modified: 14-03-2014 10:43 AM by meremortal.)
(14-03-2014 10:29 AM)cjlr Wrote:  
(14-03-2014 10:11 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  I've heard the same thing, but to specifically note the high rate of creationist engineers. I'd always wondered if it was linked to them study how to design and build things, and just assuming everything was designed and built. Basically, the essence of the watchmaker argument.

I could easily believe that a factor.

But also that people simply don't generalise "scientific" attitudes, and in training to be an engineer most of the more immediately relevant fields (evolutionary and geological history, say) simply aren't touched on.

I think that's basically it. I'm a mechanical engineer. I was an evangelical christian creationist while attending university. I took all the math, physics, chemistry, and engineering courses required, but none of that touched on biology, evolution, cosmology, or particle physics, so nothing I studied really challenged or conflicted with belief in a creator or a created universe. It was easy to say that all the physical laws of the universe were put in place at the time of creation - basically watchmaker argument. And I had been well indoctrinated to immediately dismiss the geological and biological evidence (think Answers in Genesis kind of responses). Again, none of that prevented me from learning and understanding the principles involved in mechanical engineering. I think if I had taken some courses at the college level taught by real scientists to challenge what I had been told by AiG types, my deconversion would likely have happened a lot earlier (at least I like to think so...)
[+] 1 user Likes meremortal's post
14-03-2014, 11:56 AM
It is what you say. The flow chart for recommended courses is TIGHT. We are excused from taking biology and geology (which everyone else has to take) and our elective science courses are guided as well. My elective choices were chem 2 and solar lab. I understand the reason, but it is limiting.
14-03-2014, 11:56 AM
(14-03-2014 10:39 AM)meremortal Wrote:  
(14-03-2014 10:29 AM)cjlr Wrote:  I could easily believe that a factor.

I think that's basically it. I'm a mechanical engineer. I was an evangelical christian creationist while attending university. I took all the math, physics, chemistry, and engineering courses required, but none of that touched on biology, evolution, cosmology, or particle physics, so nothing I studied really challenged or conflicted with belief in a creator or a created universe. It was easy to say that all the physical laws of the universe were put in place at the time of creation - basically watchmaker argument. And I had been well indoctrinated to immediately dismiss the geological and biological evidence (think Answers in Genesis kind of responses). Again, none of that prevented me from learning and understanding the principles involved in mechanical engineering. I think if I had taken some courses at the college level taught by real scientists to challenge what I had been told by AiG types, my deconversion would likely have happened a lot earlier (at least I like to think so...)

Not much different for me, but probably to a lesser degree. My believe was never literal or evangelical. I am a mechanical also, my college was in the bible belt and I had lots of devout christians in my classes. Even tho I was a believer at the time I still found it hard to grasp how they could creationist and bible literalist studying engineering.