A really interesting turkey day.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-11-2012, 01:05 AM
A really interesting turkey day.
So, my wife and I went to see my devoutly religious aunt and uncle for thanksgiving. I was shocked to see as I was walking out to get something out of the car, someone drew an atheist symbol in the condensation on the storm door. I doubt any of the other adults there drew it. It must have been one of the younger ones, you know 18 to twenty something. I thought my entire family was full of believers. Could it be that I am not the only atheist in the group now? I am curious. If I see this again next year, is there a way to answer back and say "I am also an atheist" without offending everyone in the room? Obviously the symbol meant nothing to most of the people there. I had to look it up to be sure what it was. Do you think whoever drew it is in the closet, or are they actively seeking others like them?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
25-11-2012, 01:10 AM
RE: A really interesting turkey day.
lol. If so, that's kind of a cool way to go about "reaching out". I like cryptic black-ops shit. Big Grin

However, you also have to consider that perhaps it was some sort of attempt at an insult. To many religious people, "atheist" is right up there with "bitch", "whore", or "cunt". I don't know if your family has any spiteful individuals in it, but it's possible one of them just wanted to take an anonymous jab at you. Who knows.

I prefer the former possibility, though. lol

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
25-11-2012, 01:46 AM
(25-11-2012 01:10 AM)Misanthropik Wrote:  lol. If so, that's kind of a cool way to go about "reaching out". I like cryptic black-ops shit. Big Grin

However, you also have to consider that perhaps it was some sort of attempt at an insult. To many religious people, "atheist" is right up there with "bitch", "whore", or "cunt". I don't know if your family has any spiteful individuals in it, but it's possible one of them just wanted to take an anonymous jab at you. Who knows.

I prefer the former possibility, though. lol

No, they all know I am an atheist and are fine with it. There were a few new people there this time. I am sure it was one of them, but not sure who.
25-11-2012, 06:42 AM
It'd be interesting to find out. Keep us posted. Thumbsup

25-11-2012, 02:42 PM
ooohh... sneaky, call CSI, they could enhance the fingerprints or something to identify the secret heathen Big Grin

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
25-11-2012, 11:15 PM
(25-11-2012 02:42 PM)nach_in Wrote:  ooohh... sneaky, call CSI, they could enhance the fingerprints or something to identify the secret heathen Big Grin

There must be a simple way of saying "I'm here too.". Maybe if it is there next year I will put a small 2 next to it. I mean it is not like I can put a note saying "Let's meet over in the corner.". Then I can let them seek me out.
26-11-2012, 05:56 AM
Just put a +1 next to it. Yes

[+] 3 users Like Misanthropik's post
26-11-2012, 07:48 AM
or you could draw a me gusta face next to it Big Grin

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
[+] 1 user Likes nach_in's post
26-11-2012, 07:56 AM
Which atheist symbol are you referring to?

[Image: giphy.gif]
26-11-2012, 10:51 AM
We have symbols now?

Sheeeesh, maybe we are a religion...

(also known as, what the heck is an "atheist symbol"?)

"Whores perform the same function as priests, but far more thoroughly." - Robert A. Heinlein