A reason why people remain religious

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-08-2014, 04:58 PM
RE: A reason why people remain religious
(16-08-2014 04:32 PM)diddo97 Wrote:  
(16-08-2014 04:30 PM)WhiskeyDebates Wrote:  Its all the shit heel does. He thinks Sye Ten Bruggencate has actual arguments. Haha.

Sye Ten Beuggencate's arguments prove that atheism is absurd. I have no fucking clue how you illogically dismiss them so shamelessly.

See what I mean? Gullible as fuck.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes WhiskeyDebates's post
16-08-2014, 05:02 PM
(16-08-2014 02:46 PM)Mozart Link Wrote:  Now even if you were someone who did bad deeds, based on my reasonings, you would still be all great and special if you think you are. I know that I am just talking here with no scientific evidence to back any of it up (aside from the scientific fact that who you are as a person is your brain and that I have based all my arguments on that scientific fact alone), but we can still at least argue about this anyway even without such evidence.

Read your words...
Why would anyone do bad deeds based on your reasoning?

Facepalm all day long.

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
16-08-2014, 05:05 PM
(16-08-2014 01:23 PM)Mozart Link Wrote:  Even without scientific evidence to support my reasoning for what I just said in my last two posts, at least I (unlike you or anyone else here) have an actual argument to back up what I just said (despite the fact that, again, there is no outside scientific evidence to support it).

I have no argument. Don't need one.
Just pretty much calling you a dumbass.

16-08-2014, 05:07 PM
(16-08-2014 04:15 PM)diddo97 Wrote:  
(16-08-2014 04:14 PM)WhiskeyDebates Wrote:  Thanks for demonstrating you have no concept how an argument gains merit.

Evidence? Ok, where's your evidence that your mind can be trusted?

My mind tells me to not leap from high buildings. I put a fair amount of trust in such things
LOL

16-08-2014, 05:28 PM
(16-08-2014 05:07 PM)WitchSabrina Wrote:  
(16-08-2014 04:15 PM)diddo97 Wrote:  Evidence? Ok, where's your evidence that your mind can be trusted?

My mind tells me to not leap from high buildings. I put a fair amount of trust in such things
LOL

Yeh, if I don't trust my mind people I treat in a hospital will die from over doses or sub-therapeutic treatment. That's why we have a concept called negligence.
Negligence presupposes "right way of doing things" eg following procedures to minimize risks such as not drinking whilst driving. The contrast is driving whilst drunk leads to faulty trust of ones mind which has become impaired.
Again, this presupposes the mind in a normal state is much more trustworthy. (I didn't say completely trustworthy)
In any case skepticism is about not trusting ones mind as a default and seeking evidence to make conclusions.
In this case evidence of driving drunk vs sober leads to the staggering conclusion that one is less likely to crash whilst sober.
I cannot believe I even have to argue this stuff.

A wise man proportions his belief to the evidence -
David Hume

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRhOs7rUrS5bRKvWS7clR7...gNs5ZwpVef]
16-08-2014, 05:42 PM
(16-08-2014 02:46 PM)Mozart Link Wrote:  Now even if you were someone who did bad deeds, based on my reasonings, you would still be all great and special if you think you are. I know that I am just talking here with no scientific evidence to back any of it up (aside from the scientific fact that who you are as a person is your brain and that I have based all my arguments on that scientific fact alone), but we can still at least argue about this anyway even without such evidence.

Some questions for Mozart....

1. Why are you so "special" ? What makes you "special" ?

2. Why are you more special than other people ?

3. What does being special mean to you ?

4. Why do you have to be "given" specialness by a God rather than just creating a meaningful life based on evidence based reasoning ?

5. Is a schizophrenic "special" who believes he is the Jesus reincarnate ?

6. Is someone who contributes to society, discovers new scientific theories & philosophical concepts and makes practical breakthrough's in various fields but doesn't consider themselves as "cosmically special" still "special" just as a human being who dies with no afterlife ?

7. So why is an afterlife so "special" even if there was evidence for such a thing (which there isn't any)

David Hume

16-08-2014, 05:47 PM
(16-08-2014 04:40 PM)Mozart Link Wrote:  Life is about finding your own path, empowerment, and strength in life and not giving a fuck about what others think of you and any "selfish" beliefs you might have (and, of course, helping others only if you wish and not caring about what others think if you instead choose not to help others and instead focus on yourself). This is all your own brain and your own life and you make whatever you want to make of it--not what others think (including you) who have a negative opinion of my "selfish" views.

Really ?
So if some ISIS Sunni militant finds empowerment in Beheading Yazidis, that's their life strength and own path of whatever they want which makes them feel special - its all perfectly fine and we shouldn't give a shit & not care what others think ????

David Hume

16-08-2014, 06:24 PM
(16-08-2014 04:40 PM)Mozart Link Wrote:  Life is about finding your own path, empowerment, and strength in life and not giving a fuck about what others think of you and any "selfish" beliefs you might have (and, of course, helping others only if you wish and not caring about what others think if you instead choose not to help others and instead focus on yourself). This is all your own brain and your own life and you make whatever you want to make of it--not what others think (including you) who have a negative opinion of my "selfish" views.

I don't think you're selfish. And I don't disagree with several things said in the quoted text. I on y see two issues...... you don't present your thoughts very well and remain unconcerned with the advice from others here, hence missing the whole point of (1)debate and (2) forum membership.
Some of your ideas aren't bad but you might as well talk to yourself.

16-08-2014, 06:26 PM
(16-08-2014 05:42 PM)Baruch Wrote:  

Some questions for Mozart....

1. Why are you so "special" ? What makes you "special" ?

2. Why are you more special than other people ?

3. What does being special mean to you ?

4. Why do you have to be "given" specialness by a God rather than just creating a meaningful life based on evidence based reasoning ?

5. Is a schizophrenic "special" who believes he is the Jesus reincarnate ?

6. Is someone who contributes to society, discovers new scientific theories & philosophical concepts and makes practical breakthrough's in various fields but doesn't consider themselves as "cosmically special" still "special" just as a human being who dies with no afterlife ?

7. So why is an afterlife so "special" even if there was evidence for such a thing (which there isn't any)
1.) The fact that I think I'm special is what makes me special based on all of my arguments here. Also, the fact that I give my life personality (meaning and such) by hating the fact that there is no God and afterlife and that there should be based on my own personification of life is another thing that makes me special.

2.) I'm more special than people who don't value themselves that much and don't think they're all that special because, unlike these people, I have found my own path of self-empowerment in life and such and have taken matters into my own hands in bestowing myself with this "power" and have not demeaned myself (viewed myself as not all that great and special) unlike these people have.

3.) Being special, to me, means all of the reasons I just stated above.

4.) If there were another universe of god-like immortal beings with perfect lives and such and can overcome any suffering, they would obviously look down upon this universe as inferior since it is a universe that is the opposite. In a sense, I am one of these god-like beings who embraces the universe of anime and god-like anime characters and adds the awesome personification of that god-like anime universe in looking down upon this pathetic universe.

5.) A schizophrenic would be more special.

6.) This person has demeaned his/herself by viewing his/herself as not all that great and special and not giving his/herself this "power" of enlightenment that I've described. Therefore, based on this and all of my reasonings here, this person would not be special.

7.) An afterlife is important (for me anyway) because I am someone who embraces the awesome personality of god-like anime and, with this "higher" personality that I've obtained, it becomes a part of this life. Therefore, from this perception of life, I feel that an afterlife in which you are god-like, immortal, and perfect is very important to me because that would accomplish what this newly obtained personality and perception desires so much.

(16-08-2014 05:47 PM)Baruch Wrote:  

Really ?
So if some ISIS Sunni militant finds empowerment in Beheading Yazidis, that's their life strength and own path of whatever they want which makes them feel special - its all perfectly fine and we shouldn't give a shit & not care what others think ????
You should care only if you want to.
16-08-2014, 06:31 PM

Well, darlin', according to you, we are correct in our atheism and you have no right to try to change us. After all, if life is finding our own path, who are you to say what our right path is? Every person is different. Maybe what all our brain thinks about is right for us. You can't know every person to know whether what we do in our life is right or wrong for us. Also, according to you, we're entitled to not give a fuck about what you say about our lives. Because life is about finding our own path and not giving a fuck about what people like you have to say about it. This is our life, our "selfish" brain, our moral. Not yours. We decided there is no god, just as your "selfish" mind has decided there should be a god for you to cling to. And yes, that means you shouldn't give a fuck if we care whether or not you believe in a god.

In short, we live our lives as we see fit. We don't give a fuck about what you say and we sure as hell won't change no matter how "selfish" or whatever you think we are.

And, by the by, who isn't selfish to a fault? No one can live a life for another person. Of course everyone acts for themselves whether it's helping people to make yourself happy, sitting on your ass and playing video games because you enjoy gaming, passing that car on the highway because you want to drive five miles an hour over the speed limit, or any of the things we do in life.

[Image: notagain.gif]
[+] 2 users Like Miss Suzanne's post