A reason why people remain religious

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-08-2014, 03:23 AM
RE: A reason why people remain religious
(17-08-2014 03:02 AM)One Above All Wrote:  
(16-08-2014 06:52 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Blush The only reason I don't argue for solipsism is that it's premature. Gotta account for myself first. Many have tried, all have failed. Descartes' cogito ergo sum was particularly fucked up.

GirlyMan, I am disappoint. No
Solipsism is stupid, plain and simple. It's devaluing reality itself. However, putting that bit aside for now, under solipsism, you can't prove anything. And I do mean anything whatsoever. Seriously; try it.
Decartes's cogito ergo sum is not just fucked up; it's a false and unsupported assumption (under solipsism).

(16-08-2014 07:16 PM)WhiskeyDebates Wrote:  Seriously though, close to 9 fucking threads of the same goddamn shit. How much do you need to spam before you get the boot?

You know, there is a "Report" button. Just saying.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-08-2014, 03:46 AM
(17-08-2014 03:23 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  <snip>

Those videos put together add up to almost 40 minutes. I'm not gonna potentially waste 40 minutes of my time without some kind of summary about what I'd be watching. =/

The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
17-08-2014, 09:22 AM (This post was last modified: 17-08-2014 09:31 AM by Mozart Link.)
(16-08-2014 07:08 PM)Miss Suzanne Wrote:  
(16-08-2014 06:54 PM)Mozart Link Wrote:  Although I do agree with all of this, if you are really fine being the lesser being who has little to no sense of self-importance, grandeur, etc., then go right ahead. But if you are someone who thinks they are all that special and great for being atheists, discovering the truth, helping others, etc., then that is a different story and would make you the better and superior person as long as you have a sense of self-importance, grandeur, etc.

Then it's settled. I'm happy where I am in life and don't give a fuck about what you think about it. I don't think I'm better than another person. Just living life as I see fit like many of these fine people on this forum are doing. Ain't nothing special about it I suppose.Not any more special than any one else's life, that's for sure. Life's life and we all gotta live it in our own way.
So I see you are fine with that. But there are people here (including me) who, again, can not stand being a lesser person in any sense (whether it be through humility, through the perspective of this universe in that we have no grand special purpose and are not that special, etc.) and wish to have a sense of superiority through self-empowerment and grandeur and wish to have power and control in their lives. It's like I said, humility is utterly inferior since it demeans yourself (views yourself as not that great or special) and should not even exist and should be exterminated from existence. Pride is the real and ultimate "power" of self here.

I will now quote one of my posts that points out my reasonings for why having a sense of self-empowerment and grandeur makes you the better person. See if you are fine now with your inferior self and life and wish to become someone greater after reading what I have to say here. But if you are still fine anyway even after reading this, then so be it:

Quote:
(16-08-2014 06:26 PM)Mozart Link Wrote:  
(16-08-2014 05:42 PM)Baruch Wrote:  Some questions for Mozart....

1. Why are you so "special" ? What makes you "special" ?

2. Why are you more special than other people ?

3. What does being special mean to you ?

4. Why do you have to be "given" specialness by a God rather than just creating a meaningful life based on evidence based reasoning ?

5. Is a schizophrenic "special" who believes he is the Jesus reincarnate ?

6. Is someone who contributes to society, discovers new scientific theories & philosophical concepts and makes practical breakthrough's in various fields but doesn't consider themselves as "cosmically special" still "special" just as a human being who dies with no afterlife ?

7. So why is an afterlife so "special" even if there was evidence for such a thing (which there isn't any)
1.) The fact that I think I'm special is what makes me special based on all of my arguments here. Also, the fact that I give my life personality (meaning and such) by hating the fact that there is no God and afterlife and that there should be based on my own personification of life is another thing that makes me special.

2.) I'm more special than people who don't value themselves that much and don't think they're all that special because, unlike these people, I have found my own path of self-empowerment in life and such and have taken matters into my own hands in bestowing myself with this "power" and have not demeaned myself (viewed myself as not all that great and special) unlike these people have.

3.) Being special, to me, means all of the reasons I just stated above.

4.) If there were another universe of god-like immortal beings with perfect lives and such and can overcome any suffering, they would obviously look down upon this universe as inferior since it is a universe that is the opposite. In a sense, I am one of these god-like beings who embraces the universe of anime and god-like anime characters and adds the awesome personification of that god-like anime universe in looking down upon this pathetic universe.

5.) A schizophrenic would be more special.

6.) This person has demeaned his/herself by viewing his/herself as not all that great and special and not giving his/herself this "power" of enlightenment that I've described. Therefore, based on this and all of my reasonings here, this person would not be special.

7.) An afterlife is important (for me anyway) because I am someone who embraces the awesome personality of god-like anime and, with this "higher" personality that I've obtained, it becomes a part of this life. Therefore, from this perception of life, I feel that an afterlife in which you are god-like, immortal, and perfect is very important to me because that would accomplish what this newly obtained personality and perception desires so much.

(16-08-2014 05:47 PM)Baruch Wrote:  Really ?
So if some ISIS Sunni militant finds empowerment in Beheading Yazidis, that's their life strength and own path of whatever they want which makes them feel special - its all perfectly fine and we shouldn't give a shit & not care what others think ????
You should care only if you want to.
17-08-2014, 09:40 AM
(16-08-2014 06:52 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Blush The only reason I don't argue for solipsism is that it's premature. Gotta account for myself first. Many have tried, all have failed. Descartes' cogito ergo sum was particularly fucked up.

GirlyMan, I am disappoint. No
Solipsism is stupid, plain and simple. It's devaluing reality itself. However, putting that bit aside for now, under solipsism, you can't prove anything. And I do mean anything whatsoever. Seriously; try it.
Decartes's cogito ergo sum is not just fucked up; it's a false and unsupported assumption (under solipsism).

Which is precisely why it can't be refuted. Kinda moot though, still gotta get up in the morning and go to work.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
17-08-2014, 09:55 AM
(16-08-2014 07:16 PM)WhiskeyDebates Wrote:  Seriously though, close to 9 fucking threads of the same goddamn shit. How much do you need to spam before you get the boot?

You know, there is a "Report" button. Just saying.

And there are "Walk" buttons at intersections. Dodgy

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
17-08-2014, 10:28 AM
(17-08-2014 09:40 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Which is precisely why it can't be refuted. Kinda moot though, still gotta get up in the morning and go to work.

Do you really? Not according to solipsism you don't. Wink

(17-08-2014 09:55 AM)Chas Wrote:  And there are "Walk" buttons at intersections. Dodgy

*sigh*...
I'll do it, since the button is about 1 square pixel in area, apparently.

The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
17-08-2014, 10:45 AM (This post was last modified: 17-08-2014 10:49 AM by Baruch.)
Quote:'Mozart Link'

But for those who do care about my opinions, I have argued other reasons to back up my opinions in my reply to the user Baruch. Also, I think that there should be no such thing as humility and I think it should be exterminated from existence. Pride is the ultimate "power" of self here.

Mozart-Link:
Why are you condemning other people if you don't give a shit about how they live their lives and each person has a right to form their own path ??? Why are you preaching something which for others may be counterproductive ?

Some people find it empowering to be humble and find pride damages their life or for that matter bathing in their specialness interferes with living a good life.
Some people just want to live a peaceful life without all the pressures involved in having to prove their specialness even to themselves never mind others. Perhaps they like the mountain air, just want to chill out and humble themselves to the grandeur of their insignificance living on a pale blue dot in the midst of trillions of Galaxies. SO fucking what.
Why do you have to condemn such people if they want a quiet humble life without the anxieties of being Gods special creation or having to prove to themselves or others their cosmic mission.
Perhaps some people want to play, have fun and not have some goal orientated 'special' God given or even personal mission in life.
Some want to retire after the rat race of being special and live by the sea side chilling out their last years and recollect "being special" was just a waste of their time.
SOme like to study biology, philosophy & neuroscience to become aware of precisely how un-special they are and this gives them empowerment that they can now brag how stupid humans are with all their cognitive dissonance, illusions, delusions, fallacies & cognitive distortions - and this is what makes them happy.

...and I found your answer about the ISIS-Yazidi & schizophrenic-Jesus cases I posted earlier very interesting.
http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...ous?page=5
Basically as long as a person finds a life path which is is 'special' 'empowering' and 'meaningful' to themselves then anything goes according to you. The most important thing is that the person feels special, empowered & meaningful creating their own path. So according to you a child molester who thinks their desire for little boys and girls makes them special, gives them meaning in life, gives them an attitude of not giving a shit what others think and makes them empowered is perfectly fine - or more precisely better than others who might be humble & don't see their specialness even if greatly contribute to society - very revealing !

A wise man proportions his belief to the evidence -
David Hume

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRhOs7rUrS5bRKvWS7clR7...gNs5ZwpVef]
17-08-2014, 10:49 AM
(16-08-2014 11:55 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  ...
Could a mod check whether hbl and this fuck are sock puppets of each other 'cause I just can't believe that anyone can be this fucking ignorant let alone two of them.

OK. I checked.

Both IP are based in Russia.

I've narrowed it down to this guy:

[Image: chatterbot.jpg]

17-08-2014, 11:41 AM
Mozart Link is in the atheistforums.com purgatory sectionLaughat I think this site need a similar idea for trolls.
17-08-2014, 12:02 PM
I think people remain religious because it gives them permission to blur the distinction between the imaginary and the real.

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

Don't sacrifice for me, live for yourself! - Me

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick