A rebuttal

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-08-2015, 04:52 PM
A rebuttal
Here is an excerpt from Seth's blog:

Quote:If you believe the Holy Bible is absolutely, perfectly accurate and infallible:

You believe in the Satyr, a creature of Greek mythology. It is a man with a goat’s legs, ears and horns. (Isaiah 13:21, Isaiah 34:34)
You believe in unicorns, referenced no less than 8 times in the bible. (Numbers 23:22, Numbers 24:8, Deuteronomy 33:17, Job 39:9-10, Psalm 22:21, Psalm 29:6, Psalm 92:10, Isaiah 34:7)
You believe in the Cockatrice, a serpent hatched from a rooster’s egg that can kill with a glance. (Jeremiah 8:17, Isaiah 11:8, Isaiah 59:5, Isaiah 14:29)

http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/blog/9...st-Believe

I ran across a post by a Christian blogger which answered these arguments.

http://blog.joshuaagan.com/2015/07/18/gr...the-bible/

The information in ancient libraries came from real minds of real people. The far more complex information in cells came from the far more intelligent mind of God.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-08-2015, 05:13 PM
RE: A rebuttal
Gotquestions.org, another Christian site, also says the same things. I referenced that site when I was a Christian. But it still doesn't explain other oddities such as God appearing in a burning bush, an angel flying around with a hot coal, Lot's wife being turned into a pillar of salt, the walls of Jericho collapsing due to people shouting, Jesus curing blindness with spit and dirt, Jonah surviving inside a huge fish, and so on and so forth.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like jennybee's post
10-08-2015, 05:20 PM
I don't know why Seth or anybody else is even trying to make these points, when it is obvious that the biggest problem with believing in god is...believing in god.

. . . ................................ ......................................... . [Image: 2dsmnow.gif] Eat at Joe's
[+] 5 users Like Slowminded's post
10-08-2015, 05:30 PM
(10-08-2015 05:20 PM)Slowminded Wrote:  I don't know why Seth or anybody else is even trying to make these points, when it is obvious that the biggest problem with believing in god is...believing in god.

I agree with you, but sometime such trivial points can be used has gateway questions. They can lead you to question other hings in the Bible up to the concept of God, souls, eternal life, sin, etc. Theist sometime use the same strategy to obtain opposite results by forcing atheist to look into science gaps and try to insert the possibility than the certainty of god in one or several of those gaps. The rebuttal to that specific statement is fair in my opinion, but considering the quantity of magic deployed in the Bible, satyrs and unicorns would not be out of place.
[+] 1 user Likes epronovost's post
10-08-2015, 05:51 PM
No one else noticed that the "rebuttal" is nothing more than "Bible is older so it didn't steal from Greek mythology"?
How does that address all the supernatural stuff Seth mentioned?

I won't go into the linguistic "arguments" of the author as they are utterly ridiculous.

Also, lol
Quote:we must show people that the Bible came first, and Greek mythology later adulterated it

"Behind every great pirate, there is a great butt."
-Guybrush Threepwood-
[+] 5 users Like undergroundp's post
10-08-2015, 05:56 PM
(10-08-2015 04:52 PM)theophilus Wrote:  Here is an excerpt from Seth's blog:

Quote:If you believe the Holy Bible is absolutely, perfectly accurate and infallible:

You believe in the Satyr, a creature of Greek mythology. It is a man with a goat’s legs, ears and horns. (Isaiah 13:21, Isaiah 34:34)
You believe in unicorns, referenced no less than 8 times in the bible. (Numbers 23:22, Numbers 24:8, Deuteronomy 33:17, Job 39:9-10, Psalm 22:21, Psalm 29:6, Psalm 92:10, Isaiah 34:7)
You believe in the Cockatrice, a serpent hatched from a rooster’s egg that can kill with a glance. (Jeremiah 8:17, Isaiah 11:8, Isaiah 59:5, Isaiah 14:29)

I agree with this statement.
What does "unicorn" symbolize?
What does goat symbolize?
What does serpent symbolize?
Symbolism, symbolism. What is hidden behind it?

English is my second language.
I AM DEPLORABLE AND IRREDEEMABLE
SHE PERSISTED WE RESISTED
10-08-2015, 06:19 PM
(10-08-2015 05:56 PM)Alla Wrote:  
(10-08-2015 04:52 PM)theophilus Wrote:  Here is an excerpt from Seth's blog:

I agree with this statement.
What does "unicorn" symbolize?

Why would God talk in symbols if His Word was so important for us to understand? Isn't that kind of a jerk move--to litter the Bible with symbols that could mean anything and then say that if you don't do what I say via my Word--I will torture you for eternity?
[+] 4 users Like jennybee's post
10-08-2015, 06:19 PM
(10-08-2015 05:30 PM)epronovost Wrote:  
(10-08-2015 05:20 PM)Slowminded Wrote:  I don't know why Seth or anybody else is even trying to make these points, when it is obvious that the biggest problem with believing in god is...believing in god.

I agree with you, but sometime such trivial points can be used has gateway questions. They can lead you to question other hings in the Bible up to the concept of God, souls, eternal life, sin, etc. Theist sometime use the same strategy to obtain opposite results by forcing atheist to look into science gaps and try to insert the possibility than the certainty of god in one or several of those gaps. The rebuttal to that specific statement is fair in my opinion, but considering the quantity of magic deployed in the Bible, satyrs and unicorns would not be out of place.

You are right obviously, I was just being a smartass.

. . . ................................ ......................................... . [Image: 2dsmnow.gif] Eat at Joe's
10-08-2015, 06:43 PM
(10-08-2015 05:56 PM)Alla Wrote:  What does "unicorn" symbolize?

Santa?

[Image: bb.jpg]

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 4 users Like GirlyMan's post
10-08-2015, 07:25 PM
(10-08-2015 06:19 PM)jennybee Wrote:  Why would God talk in symbols if His Word was so important for us to understand?
God's word is only for those who believe in Him and for those who sincerely want to know: "God, do you really exist?"
To these people God will reveal some knowledge and some understanding.
For unbelievers His message is hidden manna. They do NOT need the understanding. What are they going to do with this knowledge? Laugh at it? Make fun of it?
(10-08-2015 06:19 PM)jennybee Wrote:  Isn't that kind of a jerk move--to litter the Bible with symbols that could mean anything and then say that if you don't do what I say via my Word--I will torture you for eternity?
It would be horrible thing to do. God would never punish for not understanding His word. God would wait when they are ready for this hidden manna.
That is why Jesus said: forgive them, they do not know what they are doing.
Jesus forgave those who do not understand. And Father and Jesus are ONE IN PURPOSE.
God do NOT torture anybody in eternity. If it was true Jesus's sacrifice would be waste

English is my second language.
I AM DEPLORABLE AND IRREDEEMABLE
SHE PERSISTED WE RESISTED