A rebuttal

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-08-2015, 07:26 PM
RE: A rebuttal
(10-08-2015 06:43 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(10-08-2015 05:56 PM)Alla Wrote:  What does "unicorn" symbolize?
What does goat symbolize?
What does serpent symbolize?
Symbolism, symbolism. What is hidden behind it?

Santa?

[Image: bb.jpg]
I love this Santa. Heart

English is my second language.
I AM DEPLORABLE AND IRREDEEMABLE
SHE PERSISTED WE RESISTED
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-08-2015, 07:43 PM
Sorry. It's a case of the forest for the trees.
A few mythological re-translations is not going to help one bit.
Real scholarship reveals the origins of the literature that wound up in the Bible, and a few words explained away is not going to make the slightest dent in what we now know about that literature, and how and why it was written, and later assembled.

http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...#pid160188

http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...ble-Bull-s

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 5 users Like Bucky Ball's post
10-08-2015, 08:10 PM
(10-08-2015 06:19 PM)jennybee Wrote:  
(10-08-2015 05:56 PM)Alla Wrote:  I agree with this statement.
What does "unicorn" symbolize?
What does goat symbolize?
What does serpent symbolize?
Symbolism, symbolism. What is hidden behind it?

Why would God talk in symbols if His Word was so important for us to understand? Isn't that kind of a jerk move--to litter the Bible with symbols that could mean anything and then say that if you don't do what I say via my Word--I will torture you for eternity?

Remember, whatever is agreeable is taken literal, whatever is unagreeable or unexplainable is symbolic. It's xian sleight of hand

(22-08-2015 07:30 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  It is by will alone I set my brows in motion it is by the conditioner of avocado that the brows acquire volume the skin acquires spots the spots become a warning. It is by will alone I set my brows in motion.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 6 users Like Octapulse's post
10-08-2015, 08:25 PM
(10-08-2015 08:10 PM)Octapulse Wrote:  
(10-08-2015 06:19 PM)jennybee Wrote:  Why would God talk in symbols if His Word was so important for us to understand? Isn't that kind of a jerk move--to litter the Bible with symbols that could mean anything and then say that if you don't do what I say via my Word--I will torture you for eternity?

Remember, whatever is agreeable is taken literal, whatever is unagreeable or unexplainable is symbolic.

It's Lesson Three from third year seminary training : Advanced Snake Oil Sales 500-1.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
10-08-2015, 09:14 PM
(10-08-2015 07:25 PM)Alla Wrote:  
(10-08-2015 06:19 PM)jennybee Wrote:  Why would God talk in symbols if His Word was so important for us to understand?
God's word is only for those who believe in Him and for those who sincerely want to know: "God, do you really exist?"
To these people God will reveal some knowledge and some understanding.
For unbelievers His message is hidden manna. They do NOT need the understanding. What are they going to do with this knowledge? Laugh at it? Make fun of it?
(10-08-2015 06:19 PM)jennybee Wrote:  Isn't that kind of a jerk move--to litter the Bible with symbols that could mean anything and then say that if you don't do what I say via my Word--I will torture you for eternity?
It would be horrible thing to do. God would never punish for not understanding His word. God would wait when they are ready for this hidden manna.
That is why Jesus said: forgive them, they do not know what they are doing.
Jesus forgave those who do not understand. And Father and Jesus are ONE IN PURPOSE.
God do NOT torture anybody in eternity. If it was true Jesus's sacrifice would be waste

"And Father and Jesus are ONE IN PURPOSE.
God do NOT torture anybody in eternity.
"

Alla, please explain the following words from Jeebus...

“But woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! ...woe to you, blind guides...You blind fools!... You blind men!... You serpents, you brood of vipers, how are you to escape being sentenced to hell?” (Matt. 23:13–34, NJB.)

“Well then, just as the darnel is gathered up and burnt in the fire, so it will be at the end of time. The Son of Man will send his angels and they will gather out of his kingdom all things that provoke offences and all who do evil, and throw them into the blazing furnace, where there will be weeping and grinding of teeth” (Matt. 13:40–43, NJB.)

“Next he will say to those on his left hand ‘Go away from me with your curse upon you, to the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels’’’ (Matt. 25:41, NJB.)
[+] 5 users Like Mark Fulton's post
10-08-2015, 09:41 PM
(10-08-2015 05:51 PM)undergroundp Wrote:  No one else noticed that the "rebuttal" is nothing more than "Bible is older so it didn't steal from Greek mythology"?
How does that address all the supernatural stuff Seth mentioned?

I won't go into the linguistic "arguments" of the author as they are utterly ridiculous.

Also, lol
Quote:we must show people that the Bible came first, and Greek mythology later adulterated it

Except the roots and origins of many of the gods and myths of Classical Greece are from Mycanaean Greece c. 1600 BCE – 1100 BCE.
So the Bible is older? No, it is not.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
10-08-2015, 10:11 PM
Chas-

I read a good book comparing the Bible mythologies (especially the OT) to the other religions of the region. We know about the Sumerian->Genesis link pretty well, but I was surprised to learn about others, like the "sun god" myths of the region that predated and heavily parallel the Sampson story, for instance. It also talked a lot about Asherah and the Inanna/Ostara/Easter connection, and connected Eve to Hebe and other goddess-myths of the region. I've been trying to remember that book for years.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
10-08-2015, 10:27 PM
Quote:"Bible is older so it didn't steal from Greek mythology"?

Horseshit...but virtually everything these xtian fuckwits say is horseshit.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
10-08-2015, 10:30 PM
Found this interesting article on Asherah the goddess and possibly wife of Yahweh, while looking for the book title (for the 100th time).

http://www.biblicalarchaeology.org/daily...lt-symbol/

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
10-08-2015, 10:31 PM
(10-08-2015 07:25 PM)Alla Wrote:  
(10-08-2015 06:19 PM)jennybee Wrote:  Why would God talk in symbols if His Word was so important for us to understand?
God's word is only for those who believe in Him and for those who sincerely want to know: "God, do you really exist?"
To these people God will reveal some knowledge and some understanding.
For unbelievers His message is hidden manna. They do NOT need the understanding. What are they going to do with this knowledge? Laugh at it? Make fun of it?
(10-08-2015 06:19 PM)jennybee Wrote:  Isn't that kind of a jerk move--to litter the Bible with symbols that could mean anything and then say that if you don't do what I say via my Word--I will torture you for eternity?
It would be horrible thing to do. God would never punish for not understanding His word. God would wait when they are ready for this hidden manna.
That is why Jesus said: forgive them, they do not know what they are doing.
Jesus forgave those who do not understand. And Father and Jesus are ONE IN PURPOSE.
God do NOT torture anybody in eternity. If it was true Jesus's sacrifice would be waste

Alla, if god's true purpose is to really have us understand him, then why hide it? It makes no sense, and I am willing to bet that most if not all of us would not make fun of it if he were to actually stop playing hide and seek. Furthermore, to which god do you speak of? The god of the NT, OT, some other place, or the one who is from Kolab?

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
[+] 3 users Like The Organic Chemist's post